cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

More problems with Broadband

N/A

Hi,

I deleiberately said problems with broadband because I know I'm goign to be told it's not PNs fault but here goes..

P2P downloads have become awful - I'm on a completely clean system - never once been over my limits yet even on MASSIVELY subscribed feeds I never get above 35KBS any more. mote this is after midnight in the so called peak period this drosp to 5KBS - yes we're back to 56kbs modem speeds

Disconnections - I've reported problems with the line since they regraded me from easy start to Premier - ever since this happened the service has degraded until its sometiems impossible to use. PN answer is to say that they can send an engineer but it might cost me if nothing is found - I'd liek to know why them changing their billing (I was paying more than the 2 Meg Premier rate for a 512Kbs conenction) has caused my connection to become so erratic

On a side note did anyone else find it ironic that after 4 days with almost zero internet connection last week the first succesfully recieved e-mail was a bill from PN ?

Actually, that's a point - can we have a proper explanation of what happened - assurance that it won't happen again and a rebate on our bills for the lost time etc - I know plenty of people spent a lot of time resetting routers etc when the problem had nothign to do with them - you "technical support" line was totally useless as you couldn't even get an engaged tone - although in a way this was good as i assumed with that level of traffic trying to get info i could just assume it was PNs fault and get on with somethign else.

Dinalt
5 REPLIES
N/A

""Actually, that's a point - can we have a proper explanation of what happened""

We were all promised an email by the end of the week but now they are saying they'll try and squeeze the info in the next newsletter along with the new limits on products that was promised a couple of weeks back

I'm seriously considering my options and looking at all providers

PlusNet never used to be this poor at communicating but seems PlusNet now consider customers as a necessary evil Tongue
N/A

P2P downloads have become awful - I'm on a completely clean system - never once been over my limits yet even on MASSIVELY subscribed feeds I never get above 35KBS any more. mote this is after midnight in the so called peak period this drosp to 5KBS - yes we're back to 56kbs modem speeds

Can I just ask, have you opened the correct ports and forwarded them on your router and firewall? ( Standard question which is what you would be asked by a member of Plusnet anyhow ).
Secondly, have you tried raising a ticket to request to have your profile checked and double checked? Have you tried using encryption?

Is everything else working as normal, such as http and pop3 etc etc? Try downloading a large file ( such as a nix distro ) to see what your download speed averages out at.

An engineer is only really necessary if you have reported a line fault and your service as a whole is being affected and your are getting less than the BT recomended guidelines. Yes it is true you can get charged if you agree, if the fault is found to be with your equipment as apposed to your line.

Anyway, ill let you report back about the above questions first.

Regards,
N/A

Hi,

Yes the ports are forwarded for instance I can get an High ID in Emule if I use it.

I have raised tickets but they never answer my question about why the performance of my connection has so sharply decreased after they regraded me.

FTP etc is normally fine though I notice today i'm only getting 30kbs from an http download. This is why I'm sure they're limiting P2P far more than they claim - it never gets anywhere near my max download speed and sharply drops after 8am - for instance i'm using bit comet to d'l a large torrent athe moment - my average over 11 hours was 15k - 8am this morning and the d'l rate dopped to 5kbs - and this is repeated evey day...

Oh and another question how come Plus Nets own web portal etc are teh slowest pages on the net for PN users ?

DinAlt
passer
Grafter

Oh and another question how come Plus Nets own web portal etc are teh slowest pages on the net for PN users ?

Good question! Not a great advert is it? I would love to know the answer to this one.
N/A

DinAlt,

Hmm, have you done any speed tests, from PN's own speedtester, AdslGuide and also BTspeedtest. What speed does your router sync at?

The reason I ask about the speed sync is because unless you paid £14.99 regrade and £14.99 speed regrade, you are ( or so I imagine ) still getting 512 just under a different brand name. If this is the case then this explains 50% of the story but not the whole story, as you should still see between 55 and 60 kb/s on a 512 connection and not half of it.

Regards,