cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

More MySQL?

N/A

More MySQL?

I'm not sure if this idea has been muted before, but I hope I'll be the first to suggest it. :idea:

I currently run 2 sites, both domain names with +net. Cheesy

I know we only get 1 MySQL Database Sad (as far as I am aware), but i would prefer to have up to three as I can have 3 domain names without extra charge.

I would be one of those users willing to pay for a MySQL database, provided the price is right!! :lol:

It just seems a shame that I can host 3 websites but not do everything i want to on them. :?:

Craig
7 REPLIES
Community Veteran

More MySQL?

This may help in PlusNet making a decision: Could you explain why you could not use a single database and use table prefixes for each domain?

Most things like forums have faclities to add prefixes to tables to cater for such situations but you may be thinking of something else in particular you want to run on each domain.

I do this this is a good idea: You could say have username_pn1, username_pn2, username_pn3 etc (using the domain name for the database name could be difficult due to there being .co.uk. .com. .org, .it, .xx variations whereas your name will be unique).

FYI: There is an existing idea for this already: Idea 2309.
N/A

More MySQL?

Well, my reasoning is simple for this idea...

If i have one database, then i will have all 3 sites working from that one MySQL database, not sure about the performance issues, but it would be a very cluttered database and i like things tidy! :lol:

A database per domain name is a good thing as it gives you more flexibility, and for myself, would keep things tidier in my eyes.

BT refuse me MySQL unless i pay £18 a month... I would happily pay 50p/£1/£2 per month for an extra MySQL database

Craig
N/A

More MySQL?

yeh, i have a very cluttered database and i'm running 2 sites.

about 180~200 Tables, even with table prefixes it gets confusing at times and also phpmyadmin takes forever to load the pages, due to the vast amounts of tables etc there are.

Having multiple databases would help this, and i know its not 2 difficult to setup either.... look at every other host, they all offer it!
N/A

More MySQL?

I love it when people use the "it's simple to setup" line.
N/A

More MySQL?

especially in the case of Microsoft or BT made products (IPStream excluded!)

Craig
N/A

More MySQL?

umm, mysql has nothing to do with bt, or microsoft for that matter!

I love it when people use the "it's simple to setup" line.

well it isnt really that hard! why would everyone do it if it wasnt? -

Unless u have some sort of wierd setup i can assure you that it isnt hard, i've helped manage a webhost and it was a simple process of about 2~3 clicks and wolla, everyone with account type x has x mysql databases or whateva
N/A

More MySQL?

I never said it was or wasn't hard. But I definatly should have elaborated my comments.

People saying "it is easy to do" are basing that on what they read in the MySQL manual. According to the manual it is very easy.

What they never take into account is things like the auditing process or the way in which the automated systems work at PlusNet.

Any business enabling things at a whim are only going to be bitten on the ass at a later date.