cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Modulation Type causing problems with MaxDSL?

N/A

I am not sure if this will help anyone but I have noticed that if I switch the modulation type on my Router to T1.413 I have to reboot the Router several times to get a connection. Whereas G.dmt and Multi-Mode work perfectly.

I am wondering if some of the people out their having these random disconnections/unable to connect and general time-outs on MaxDSL are using T1.413 Modulation. Maybe changing this to G.dmt or Multi-Mode may fix your problems.

Or this could be just a random case on my modem but I thought I would post just incase this helps anybody out. If anyone could test out using other modulations and see if they can repeat the same sort of problems I have found that would be great.

I am on day 4 of the MaxDSL training and everything was fine until I tried to use T1.413, I then noticed time-outs and being unable to connect when rebooting. Also if I used G.lite modulation I noticed the router would not sync above 1500kbps which could also be an issue for those people finding their net speeds havent changed.

As I said above, I am not exactly sure if this is just me or not so no guarantees here that this will fix your problem. It just seems really odd that modulation can have such a huge effect whereas before when I was on 1MB changing it made no difference whatsoever.
4 REPLIES
Community Veteran

Hey Phear.

Back around the time of the 2MB upgrades, I found I had times where the connection was flaky, and also intermittently had times where I would be connected and could ping any server at all, and receive good fast responses, but was unable to get a single page to display. IE No data throughput!

Long story short - I ended up rechecking my router/modem details and found modulation was set to "multimode".
I phoned PN and spoke to someone about the correct modulation settings among other things. Using the info I received, I set modulation to "G.DMT", and it cured all the probs, giving a flawless connection from then on!

I actually asked "Chesterfield" (Who is having dire probs as you will know) to check if this was something effecting him. He tried it but got no resolution. Sad

But yes, I think it is fair to say that this could be effecting others here. After all, a high percentage of "faults" I would imagine turn out to be miss-configured client hardware/software.
N/A

Well I was having disconnection issues, but my shiny new adsl2 router solved that.
Never used anything but G.DMT. I reckon a lot of it could be down to old hardware that was never tested at 8mbps.
N/A

I reckon a lot of it could be down to old hardware that was never tested at 8mbps.

Yeah, spot on there. Its amazing how many people bought a router and the issue was solved.

This modulation differential is strange though. Does anyone know what the Voyagers default modulation is?
N/A

You mean the little blue voyager 100?
G.DMT iirc, although all the latest drivers for it try to run the thing in PPPOE mode, so who knows.