cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Modem Keeps Going In To Training Mode

N/A

Today I was supposed to have my line reactivated for ASDL. At 5pm I checked and was able to connect.

The problem is I am only able to connect for about 30 seconds before I am disconnected and the modem goes into "training mode" for about 30 seconds.

This has been happening since 5pm.

I know that the cables and the modem are installed correctly, and that they work because I took them to a friends house and he connected them to his computer and was able to access the internet (He also has PlusNet).

I have an AOL dial-up account (I've been using it whilst my line is being reactivated) and I'm able to connect with no problems to that so I don't think there is a problem with the phone line or the phone wire.

Any ideas?

I have not received an email from PlusNet yet to confirm my line has be reactivated so is it possible that the line is not activated yet?

Surely it must be otherwise I would not be able to connect in the first place, would I?
9 REPLIES
N/A

Since my original post I have now seen that I can stay online for about five minutes before being disconnected and the modem then goes into training mode.
Plusnet Staff
Plusnet Staff
Fixes: 1

Hi,

I'd say that it sounds like the line's been activated, but there could be a number of reasons why it's not working.

Checking the wiring is good start, I'd suggest just taking a read through

http://usertools.plus.net/tutorials/id/10

and

http://usertools.plus.net/tutorials/id/13

in case there's anything there you've not tried and if it's the same raise it via the automated fault checker on the portal and we can run some remote testing and try and find out what's wrong/
N/A

Thank you for your reply. I read the two pages you reccommended and tried a lot of the answers but nothign seems to work.

Now the connection drop at random times.

When I am disconnected the modem goes into "training mode" and then when I try to reconnect I now get the following error number:

Error: 734 (Something about a problem with my ISP)

I find that clicking "redial" gets me through.

This morning I went out and brought the following:

- New phone extension wire
- New phone lead (the one that connects the modem to the phone extension wire.

I went to my friends house and borrowed one of his spare Voyager 105 modems. And I have replaced the microfilter.

The problem still persists so I am now 100% sure that there is not a problem with the equipment at my end.
N/A

I read the two pages you reccommended and tried a lot of the answers but nothign seems to work.

Now the connection drop at random times.

Are you sure you tried the part about plugging your modem directly into the test socket :?:

99.9% of problems are down to customer wiring. I hope it wasn't cheap phone extension cable you bought..
N/A

OK. The phone socket is in the hallway. I set the computer up on the hallway floor and tried connecting without using an extension, it gave exactly the same result.

I took the front of the socket off and tried the test socket it gave exactly the same result.

I am now back to having to connect every couple of minutes.

Could this problem be anything to do with this 8MB upgrade thingy?
N/A

Another update.

I was able to connect at about 1:30am and was connected until about 3:40am when the modem went back into training mode again.
gsol75
Dabbler

From your first post, it sounds like you are in the 14 day training period for MaxDSL
I had constant disconnections for the first 4 days then it was OK
Read this thread...

http://portal.plus.net/central/forums/viewtopic.php?t=42246&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0
N/A

Hi,

Thank you for your reply.

I remember getting an email some time ago about an upgrade.

I'll give it 10-14 days and see what happens.

Thanks everybody. Smiley
N/A

Sync problems should sort them out pretty much within the first few minutes whilst it finds a stable sync rate given the target noise margin :?