cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Modem Connection Speeds

N/A

Modem Connection Speeds

I've always had really good connection speeds with my modem - around 45,000 until recently. However, in the last few weeks I've noticed that my speeds have dropped - to around 22,000 or even lower. Occasionally a _LOT_ lower. But not all of the time. The pattern is generally that speeds are great in the morning but degrade in the evening.

It sometimes feels like I'm being penalised in the evening for heavy use in the morning. I know that's just paranoia on my part but that's what it feels like. Maybe it's just some other factor that comes into play in the evening.

Anyone have any ideas?

David
9 REPLIES
N/A

RE: Modem Connection Speeds

Dear customer,

Your connection speeds generally indicate line quality or modem issues. We do not penalise people for using their accounts unless of course you go over your Connect Policing limit (see the AUP for full details). We certainly do not and can not restrict your connection speeds.

Check via our 0845 number (local rate) and see if you get the same issues.

Thanks
Chris
--
| Chris Rugen ............................... Unmetered & ADSL solutions
| Senior Technical Consultant ................... for Home & Business
| PlusNet Technologies Ltd .......................... http://www.plus.net
+ ----- My Referrals - It pays to recommend PlusNet ----------
N/A

RE: Modem Connection Speeds

> Dear customer,
>
> Your connection speeds generally indicate line quality or modem issues. We do not penalise people for using their accounts unless of course you go over your Connect Policing limit (see the AUP for full details). We certainly do not and can not restrict your connection speeds.
>
> Check via our 0845 number (local rate) and see if you get the same issues.
>
> Thanks
> Chris
> --
> | Chris Rugen ............................... Unmetered & ADSL solutions
> | Senior Technical Consultant ................... for Home & Business
> | PlusNet Technologies Ltd .......................... http://www.plus.net
> + ----- My Referrals - It pays to recommend PlusNet ----------


--
N/A

RE: Modem Connection Speeds

> Dear customer,
>
> Your connection speeds generally indicate line quality or modem issues. We do not penalise people for using their accounts unless of course you go over your Connect Policing limit (see the AUP for full details). We certainly do not and can not restrict your connection speeds.
>
> Check via our 0845 number (local rate) and see if you get the same issues.
>
> Thanks
> Chris
> --
> | Chris Rugen ............................... Unmetered & ADSL solutions
> | Senior Technical Consultant ................... for Home & Business
> | PlusNet Technologies Ltd .......................... http://www.plus.net
> + ----- My Referrals - It pays to recommend PlusNet ----------


--
N/A

RE: Modem Connection Speeds

I will find out from our engineers, soon as I have any further information on this I will post to the thread.

--
| Kevin Revill ............... Unmetered & ADSL solutions
| Customer Support .................. for Home & Business
| PlusNet Technologies Ltd. ....... @ http://www.plus.net
+ ----- My Referrals - It pays to recommend PlusNet -----
N/A

RE: Modem Connection Speeds

I wasn't accusing plusnet of anything - in fact I've generally found them pretty good - just trying to describe the situation.

I'd have thought that it was a noisy line myself if it wasn't for the strange pattern of good in the morning followed by bad in the evening.

David
N/A

RE: Modem Connection Speeds

Hi David,

We do not penalise customers for heavily using the service in the day, by giving them slow response times in the evening.

Can you please raise a contact Us request, giving us as much information regarding this slow down you are experiencing.

We will then communicate with you via contact us and have BT check out problems on your line and at the exchange.

Raise the contact, we will get this matter sorted for you.

Kind regards

Kevin

--
| Kevin Revill ............... Unmetered & ADSL solutions
| Customer Support .................. for Home & Business
| PlusNet Technologies Ltd. ....... @ http://www.plus.net
+ ----- My Referrals - It pays to recommend PlusNet -----

N/A

RE: Modem Connection Speeds

> Hi David,
>
> We do not penalise customers for heavily using the service in the day, by giving them slow response times in the evening.
>
> Can you please raise a contact Us request, giving us as much information regarding this slow down you are experiencing.
>
> We will then communicate with you via contact us and have BT check out problems on your line and at the exchange.
>
> Raise the contact, we will get this matter sorted for you.
>
> Kind regards
>
> Kevin
>
> --
> | Kevin Revill ............... Unmetered & ADSL solutions
> | Customer Support .................. for Home & Business
> | PlusNet Technologies Ltd. ....... @ http://www.plus.net
> + ----- My Referrals - It pays to recommend PlusNet -----
>
>I was able to connect at 49k before. After I
changed my modem to HAM modem my connection speed goes down to 33k6.
Because the modem is using V42.bis compression on ) the throughput is actually higher! Is the connect speed going down in general on plus net?

N/A

RE: Modem Connection Speeds

No we do not have any speed issues. What we do find is that some modems can be better than others, it may be that your newer modem does not connect as fast as your older modem.

Why not go to the website of your modem and look at initialisation strings. Try forcing the connection speed up a little higher, until you start getting disconnections.

Is your line naturally quiet. A lot of modems see a quite line as an indication of a problem and connect at a slow speed. Try ringing BT on 151 and having them up the gain and balance the line. If you have not done this already, you will find in most cases an improvement of speed and reliability.

Kind Regards

Kevin

--
| Kevin Revill ............... Unmetered & ADSL solutions
| Customer Support .................. for Home & Business
| PlusNet Technologies Ltd. ....... @ http://www.plus.net
+ ----- My Referrals - It pays to recommend PlusNet -----
N/A

RE: Modem Connection Speeds

I have 2 lines in the house I use next to each other. My main number normally connect at 48k, the other normally 42.6 and all I am doing is swapping the cable, thats BT for you!


> No we do not have any speed issues. What we do find is that some modems can be better than others, it may be that your newer modem does not connect as fast as your older modem.
>
> Why not go to the website of your modem and look at initialisation strings. Try forcing the connection speed up a little higher, until you start getting disconnections.
>
> Is your line naturally quiet. A lot of modems see a quite line as an indication of a problem and connect at a slow speed. Try ringing BT on 151 and having them up the gain and balance the line. If you have not done this already, you will find in most cases an improvement of speed and reliability.
>
> Kind Regards
>
> Kevin
>
> --
> | Kevin Revill ............... Unmetered & ADSL solutions
> | Customer Support .................. for Home & Business
> | PlusNet Technologies Ltd. ....... @ http://www.plus.net
> + ----- My Referrals - It pays to recommend PlusNet -----