cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Missing emails

rascom
Grafter

Missing emails

We are getting an increasing number of our customers saying that they have not received our emails.

We are only using PlusNet's standard SMTP servers and connecting directly into them with Microsoft Outlook so not an overly complicated scenario.

This has been seemingly happening since the beginning of the year.

Has anyone got any suggestions about how we can trace this further as some of our customers may think we are ignoring their requests for assistance or sales information and going elsewhere when this is not the case.
11 REPLIES
N/A

Missing emails

How many customers is this affecting?

Normally if an email is not routed or sent corectly you will receive a bounce.

There is nothing PN related at the minute which should cause this.

Have you tried resending the emails to see what happens, purely for testing purposes?
rascom
Grafter

Missing emails

At the moment, we know of five customers for certain who we just cannot get emails through to. We have tried sending them from different machines/accounts and also resent them a number of times.

We're not getting any bounce messages so are not aware that they are not being received.

We've now resorted to faxing our emails to them which, frankly, is a bit of a technological step backwards.

I didn't think PN had any problems directly but do not know how we can test further where the problems are as we can send to other people quite happily but, likewise, our customers say that they are receiving emails from other people happily and we have tried sending them emails using a personal email account (Yahoo) which works ok but this does not give a very professional corporate image if we send out all our emails using Yahoo!

I realise these figures are quite small in the overall scheme of things but, for us, everyone who contacts us is a potential customer so we have to be seen to respond.
N/A

Missing emails

Do you know off hand which ISP's these customers use. IIRC there was an issue with email going to AOL customers and and an overagressive spam policy being applied by that ISP.

Might be worth checking.
scubamad
Dabbler

Missing emails

I had a problem a couple of years ago when I thought that I was not getting anything from plusnet. It turned out that I was getting them but because these emails were sent from the same account as the monthly invoices my rule in Outlook to automatically file the invoices was doing the same to the support emails so I did not get to see them.

Is it possible that these users are doing something similar?

Whilst on the subject it would actually make sense to use different email accounts for different purposes so that things are easier to find at clients sites. It real does not make much sense to send invoices from support@...
rascom
Grafter

Missing emails

A couple of customers use BT, one (a university) uses their own direct internet connection and the others I don't know about.
N/A

Missing emails

TBH, my gut feeling and suspicions would be to point the finger at their end.

I cant completely rule PN out of the equation, however I dont think this one is down to them.

It may, however be worth raising a ticket and having it checked properly by PN.
rascom
Grafter

Missing emails

Scubamad - we're only sending emails to one person in each company and this is the only email address we have for them.

But we do have multiple accounts for things like sales, accounts, support etc. that we send out on and this doesn't make a difference.

Two of the most recently affected customers have done a full search on their system and there is no sign of the emails and they know they have not seen and then deleted them.
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 5

Missing emails

If you like you can try sending me a test message , and I'll see if I get it, and if there is anything in the headers that might cause the mail server to silently drop the message (as spam for example). I've got 2 separate accounts you could try, one a private host host, and one my staff account at a university. Let me know if you want to try and I'll pm you the addresses.

Phil
rascom
Grafter

Missing emails

Think we've identified the problem as being that our emails are being detected as spam. Now there is nothing obvious in there that should be behind this, although we did have some issues about a year ago when we had the same problem and we spoke to the customer's ISP and they said that some of the email header information was incorrect and followed tendencies used by spammers.

pjmarsh - i'm out of the office now until friday or monday but if i can take you up on that offer and see what comes through, it may give us some indications what the issues are. thanks very much.
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 5

Missing emails

Sure. No problem. I'll pm you my email addresses now.

Phil
N/A

Missing emails

Do you know off hand which ISP's these customers use. IIRC there was an issue with email going to AOL customers and and an overagressive spam policy being applied by that ISP.

Might be worth checking.

Yes indeed...the heady days of AOL and their "We'll implement a new system and not give a stuff about anyone other than ourselves" policy when they threw in the reverse DNS lookup check to help avoid Spam...

Now +net would NEVER do anything like that would they? Shocked oops..silly me...forgot about them tharr Hellacrappers!