cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Misleading adverts

N/A

Misleading adverts

Hi

Watched channel 4 news tonight and noticed that Wanadoo has been slammed over misleading adverts about the speed of its broadband services.

Would PlusNet care to comment on the difference between the ruling of the advertising standards agency's objections concerning Wanadoo's use of wording and its own wording concerning the 8GB account advertising?

Thank you

Edit: spelling
8 REPLIES
N/A

Misleading adverts

John,

This is something that has been mentioned before ( not the wannado thing you pointed out , but the false or misleading advertising bit ).

Although I think its a little off that 8MB should be advertised when only 5% of the nation has access to MAX DSL and even then its averaging about 5MB.
I dont think it should be nationally marketed as 8MB if 8MB is hardly being achieved.

I think though John that wannabee are getting hit cause they are using the TV as a marketing strategy as apposed to what Plusnet are doing which is using word of mouth. and online advertising ( their own site ).

Regards,
shellsong
Grafter

Misleading adverts

I think they were more concerned with the type of ad at an early time slot-- they were somewhat happier with Wanadoo's "up to 8 Meg" statements and other provisos mentioned in the ad apparently, particularly since Wanadoo reckon to be rolling out availability rapidly to their customers.
Community Veteran

Misleading adverts

http://www.adslguide.org.uk/newsarchive.asp?item=2539

The above article has more details why the ad broke the rules - it was not due to the content but the fact that only 5% rather then the intended 11.5% of users had access to the product which was due to problems with Wanadonts rollout of LLU.
N/A

Misleading adverts

I personaly think that ISPs should inform the customer that MaxDSL wont in most situations improve their line speeds by a huge factor, eg if u have 1mbit now cos thats all you could get, you may be lucky to get 2meg etc, no where near 4 or 8 mbit.
N/A

Misleading adverts

- it was not due to the content but the fact that only 5% rather then the intended 11.5% of users had access to the product which was due to problems with Wanadonts rollout of LLU.

In part the above quote you gave is correct Peter; the complete report, in particular, the length of the customers lines significance in the incorrect wording of the advertised attainable speeds suggests a much higher proportion of broadband customers will be unable to reach the speeds advertised.

Would you not agree that there has to be some tweaking of the advertising; both of Wannadoo and PlusNet, concerning this anomaly?

Have a look at the live Watch the report link on the - Wanadoo has been slammed over misleading adverts about the speed of its broadband services. - channel 4 news report concerning this subject, and decide after watching the exposure.

I'm sure a little word tweaking would solve this slight problem Wink .

By the way a thread has been started on this subject over at the other place; all comments are welcome. Smiley
shellsong
Grafter

Misleading adverts

I must say, having looked at the ASA adjudication I feel a lot of sympathy with Wanadoo-- a heck of a lot of nitpicking went on and
The Broadcast Advertising Clearance Centre (BACC) said that they had cleared the "up to 8 Meg" claim on the basis of substantiation provided by Wanadoo that showed that the phased roll out of "up to 8 Meg" broadband was beginning in October 2005, covering 11.5% of the population and 100% coverage would be achieved by summer 2006.

PlusNet's present advertising about up to 8Mbs services has a much shakier basis but, of course, the ASA has no jurisdiction over internet based advertising! :roll:
N/A

Misleading adverts

I personaly think that ISPs should inform the customer that MaxDSL wont in most situations improve their line speeds by a huge factor, eg if u have 1mbit now cos thats all you could get, you may be lucky to get 2meg etc, no where near 4 or 8 mbit.

I agree with you here Buz. I dont think its fair to say "well they might get better speeds and our use of MIGHT in the ad outlines that". That isnt really fair as no one in their right mind could possibly know what that means.

I personally think ISP's should make a clear point of informing people that they may well not get that huge speed increase they were hoping for. A simple clear area in the 8MB sales pitch would do as apposed to the small print having small print. :lol:

Regards,
shellsong
Grafter

Misleading adverts

Maybe it should be clearly pointed out for all ADSL packages that the maximum obtainable speed is dependent on the quality of the customer's connection to the exchange!