cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Misleading advertising

N/A

Misleading advertising

From reading the plusnet product page one might think that BB+ had an 8Mb/s download speed and unlimited usage. Is this not unlawful? I'm on BB+ and i'm lucky to get 8Kb/s and i know for definate there is a 4Gb cap on peak downloads, this should have to be mentioned on the product page.

Gonna give it until march and see if speeds improve, if not i'll be getting my MAC.
40 REPLIES
N/A

Misleading advertising

It does mention there is a 4gb peak time limit, and also advises that its not suitable for p2p or usenet
Community Veteran

Misleading advertising

They do mention the 4GB limit - at least in the small print - so they are probably OK there.

However the speed is a different issue. Next to 8Mb they have this note:

† Why "up to" 8Mb?
- Broadband is described as 'up to 8Mb' because download speeds will vary depending on your telephone line and location.

This implies the only reason for speed restrictions will be BT line/exchange conditions (or exceeding the cap), and NOT a fundamental limitation in the plusnet infrastructure.

Now I think no-one would argue about speed reductions down to about 1Mb/s at peak times for a browsing type account. But when I am reading of people having speeds of 200kb/s or lower, then plusnet are clearly failing to deliver what they are contracted to deliver.

In my opinion (which is worth exactly what you are paying for it :-), anyone suffering this level of service could hold plusnet in breach of contract.
Community Veteran

Misleading advertising

The only part that I personally thought could be misleading seems to have now been removed.

That was the part that said (paraphrasing) "expect your speeds to slow down after you reach 4GB".

I think that was the only glaringly obvious point that could be argued as misleading.

The rest of the pages do describe in detail the network management, and how line speed may not be the full 8MB. Aside from that comment I refer to above (which as I say seems to have gone), I dont think there is anything that could be construed as misleading, and certainly nothing that Id wager my shirt on in a court case.

Lets not forget the asterisks and symbols all companies use in advertising. British Gas say that new price reductions will make them cheaper than their rivals. Im sat here with a price list from a supplier that knocks spots of BG's new prices. So how do BG get away with it?

Simple, the asterisk names only a few companies that they are comparing against, and secific price periods from those companies, and in specific areas.
m063
Grafter

Misleading advertising

The only part that I personally thought could be misleading seems to have now been removed.

That was the part that said (paraphrasing) "expect your speeds to slow down after you reach 4GB".

It still says:

Broadband Plus is designed for 4GB usage at peak times (4pm - midnight) per month. If you think you need more than this, or you regularly use peer-to-peer, take a look at Broadband Premier or Broadband Pay As You Go.

During off-peak periods you get up to a possible 50GB per month on Broadband Plus.

Doesn't say anything about speeds though.

All meaningless, anyway, as far as Plusnet are concerned.
N/A

Misleading advertising

It states "No fixed download limits" although the small print says upto 50Gb off peak downloads. How is that not a fixed limit?

It just annoys me that they'll be getting customers to sign up to what looks like a good offer when it quite clearly isn't from my 16months experience, but i'll be off soon thankfully.
N/A

Misleading advertising

Here we go again .......

Its all been said before
N/A

Misleading advertising

Indeed it has - remember "UNLIMITED" ?

A simple solution would be if Plusnet ceased false advertising or maintaining its Carrolian interpretation of common-place words like "FREE", "UP TO", "SOME SLOWING", "4 GB" or my personal favourite; "SOON". Cheesy
N/A

Misleading advertising

OK, so if you feel that PLusNet are not acting according to the law, complain to the ASA and/or leave. Sorry, but the same old things get trotted out again and again, people just trying to trip PLusNet up. Is it a case of put up or shut up. No I do not work for PLusNet and have no other interest other than access to the internet and other services which PLusNet supply as my chosen supplier.
N/A

Misleading advertising

Well, bully for you. Customers are : -

a) Trying to understand here why the service they pay for is being dedegraded - Plusnet do not have the decency to inform via E-Mail that their the ones deliberately causing it.

b) Trying to compare the service they are receiving with the promised and advertised product their paying for.

This Forum is a vehicle for sharing views and opinions on matters such as these, if it bores or is of no interest to you I suggest you don't read it.

Will take up your kind offer of leaving Plusnet - will you be depositing the outstanding "FREE" setup charges in my bank account or shall I wait until Plusnets promised fee waiver is implenented? Roll eyes Probably "SOON" :lol:
N/A

Misleading advertising

PLusNet have said they will waive the outstanding amount when they chose to do so, so wait if you want to leave free.
As for understanding why your service is being degraded, ask the right questions and you will get the answer, as for a promised service - show me where they promise anything.
Yep, the forum is for shareing views and I have shared mine, and clearly a few do not like a blunt reply - that is the put up or shut up. So much moaning, very little action from those who say 'if i dont get actin I will get my MAC or ........'
You got your 'FREE' set up charges as long as you adhered to your contract, so no I will not be refunding your charges. I paid for my activation over 12 mnths by haveing £5 added to my monthly bill. Thanks PLusNet for the free credit. I adhered to my contract to spread the cost, what did you sign up for?
N/A

Misleading advertising

I signed up for an a service which now (allegedly) provides a 4 GB Prime Time allowance before being throttled, not some nebulous made 'up on the hoof', budgeted for, average use, relative, figure which apparently changes at Plusnets whim, and which they neglect to inform us of, and whose error is further compounded by the deceitful manner in which the change was implemented, ie, under the guise of it being 'a problem'.

If you can't see why people question these things and indeed complain about them you must be be very easily pleased.

Personally, if I buy Goods or Services I like them to be of serviceable quality and to work near their stated performance levels. 171 kbs or 256 kbs is very different from the advertised 2Mb - especially when my connection is capable of approx. 1950 kbs whenever the Plusnet throttling is removed.

If you are content to accept shoddy goods and false, misleading advertising , that is your decision. Many beg to differ.
Azagoth
Grafter

Misleading advertising

Of course it's misleading, it describes the product as broadband yet doesn't deliver broadband!

http://www.speedtest.bbmax.co.uk/results.php?t=1171654750&v=730392
N/A

Misleading advertising

the only way it seems to me to beat plusnet is for all off us disgruntled customers stick together. plusnet do not and it seems cannot provide the service they advertise. if we all stick together and all complain to the people who overlook the internet then we can beat the dirty cheating scammers. the worse thing for me is the lies they are telling people when a fault is raised.the same old questions with th same old answers. i will start the ball rolling but i need to know who to go to.is it ofnet? have they got a website or how can they be contacted?
mcgoo
Grafter

Misleading advertising

Already done it,join the list
http://www.ofcom.org.uk/complain/