cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Misleading Advertisments!!!!!

N/A

Recently one of my mates was going throught the plus net site as he was looking for a 2MB broadband connection and I asked him ages ago to have a look. Anyways he was quite chuffed to know that Plusnet was offering UNLIMITED DOWNLOADS!!!

As all of us know the FUP ( Fair Usage policy), you are restricted to 30GB Peak and 100GB Off peak, so very simply put this broadband connection is not UNLIMITED. I sincerely think Plusnet should remove this from their advertising and like mobile phone tarrifs use peak and off peak clearly in their advertising. I joined Plusnet because they claimed to be a very open ISP and aim to provide a very transparent service. I hope someone from Plusnet takes heed. It should work both sides if they restrict our connection please make it clear when u advertise it.

The future of internet is media on the internet i.e. high definition broadcasts, TV,Phone etc everything going through the internet. I personally use internet a lot for online video content. I am an Indian cricket supporter and a lot of the times I cannot subscribe to channels which show cricket ie. SKY etc, so I subscribe to online sites who legally broadcast such cricket matches and I am looking forward to the series in Australia ( WorldXI Vs Australia XI) but due to the FUP I will not be able to subscribe to such broadcasts as the matches run for more than 8 hours. Very soon many media companies will start offering legal movie downloads .. SONY pictures is going to release this very soon ... BBC will soon put previous shows on the internet to download...

I am totally at a loss to understand how ISP's are going to cope with all these evolutions of using the internet... I understand the strains put on the ISP's due to heavy traffic but you should have seen this coming and taken necessary actions to avoid this. Currently 90% of users use less than 10GB, put I think most of them in the very near future start using more than that, and as we can see in these forums start leaving Plusnet and go to other ISPs'.

I would really like to start this debate and stop blaming people for illegal downloads and tackle the real problem of people genuinely using the internet for a lot of the media content.

Michael
59 REPLIES
Community Veteran

Where do plusnet state they are offering an unlimited product?

A link to the relevant pages will surfice.
N/A

Broadband Premier from only £21.99 - Free setup now available

Top quality broadband
Fixed monthly cost with no additional download charges.

Print this page
Proceed

Top right hand corner on the http://www.plus.net/residential/broadband/broadband_premier.shtml.

I must admit it does not say unlimited downloads, but I definitely remember this when i subscribed to broadband Premier. I think it is now more dodgy as it does not say anything about the download limits, dont you?
N/A

Indeed, I don't think PN advertise unlimited anymore. What they also don't do however is openly advertise the limits like most other ISPs do.
Go to Wanadoo for example (and PN should really be trying to do better than them!), they state on their product page exactly what the usage limits are. PN don't. There's no hint of a limit (mentions 30:1 contention, but what does that mean to most people?!?).

Comparing the two, it's easy to see why someone would think PN has no limits, and is therefore unlimited.
N/A

but I definitely remember this when i subscribed to broadband Premier

If you subscribed in 2004 then that may be true, but the word unlimited hasnt been used since at least Nov 2004.

It seems to be a common misunderstanding and crops up often on the boards.
N/A

But then why does it not state any download limits ? and why does it say no additional charges for downloads, after using the 30GB i will be no longer be able to view online media contentHuh?

My main debate is how Plusnet is planning to tackle this influx of media entertainment that is hitting the internet and most of that will be legal?
N/A

It is indeed something that all ISPs will need to address in the very near future. Imagine getting throttled trying to watch streaming media! what a nightmare.
N/A

It's not just PN that'll be affected by any increase in people's usage. Most/All ISPs are on BT's Capacity Based Charging which means the central pipes that connect the users to the ISP cost huge amounts. To recoup the money each pipe has to have a significant number of users. Many users = less capacity for each.

In short, BT/Ofcom need to change the charging method.
N/A

This is where the difficulty for some lies.

The 30 gb is not, strictly speaking, a limit. You can exceed this. Its only when you do so continually that you will get a warning.

At the end of the day this is a fast changing industry. As usage changes Plus Net will have to change with it. They have stated this many times. At the minute that is the way the rules operate.

As BT's charging changes and usage changes, so will the products and how we are able to use them.

We will just have to wait and see how that pans out.
N/A

Then why not charge £30 - 35 per month? I am sure many of us would pay for unlimited unthrottle downloads OR will even this amount not be anough to pay BT ?

Just another question (probably silly one as I am not much into this stuff) will LLU ( Local Loop Unbundling) solve this issue of paying BT for bandwidth ?
N/A

The llu issue might resolve this problem. They certainly dont seem to have the same pricing restrictions placed on them the way OFCOM restrict BT.

The BT wholesale product will reduce in time. Its only OFCOM who are keeping it inflated at present to allow the cable and llu providers to grow.
N/A

The llu issue might resolve this problem. They certainly dont seem to have the same pricing restrictions placed on them the way OFCOM restrict BT.

Does that mean that we should be now switching over to LLU ISP's? Recently I heard of www.bethere.co.uk offering 24 Meg broadband ( obviously depends on the distance away from telephone exchange) . I put my telephone no. in and it says my exchange should be enabled in Nov. So I see treating myself to a fast unthrottled connection for Christmas or am I being too over enthusiastic?

I guess I will wait for a few months more and see how this whole mess pans out ... Koreans and Japanese have high speed broadband in their country why not UK?
N/A

Other countries have benefited from massive investment from central government. Our lot havent lifted a finger other than to make promises. But little in the way of action.

If the government of the day had listened to BT in the 80's we'd have been up there with the best of them.

As for switching to llu. No. When the opportunity is right and the right deal can be done, Plus Net will be in there.

Give it a bit of time.
N/A

This is where the difficulty for some lies.

The 30 gb is not, strictly speaking, a limit. You can exceed this. Its only when you do so continually that you will get a warning.

Unfortunately this isn't true.

I'm a heavy user (largely for TV shows via UKNova), I make no bones about the fact. That's why, when I signed up to Plusnet a long time ago, I paid the 50% extra for a "Premier" account, which explicitly stated that it offered unlimited bandwidth. If it no longer does so, that's not my problem - I signed up for explicitly-stated unlimited bandwidth, and had not until last month received any notification to the contrary.

The new Sustainable Usage Policy supposedly came into force on September 16. I wa somewhat surprised, then, to have my service reduced from 2MB to 7K (ie, more or less dialup), the day BEFORE that, on September 15. No warnings, never mind several. No time to adjust to the new policy - whose notification, incidentally, was inadequate to an illegal degree. Instant massive service restriction before the new policy supposedly even applied.

On complaining, I had my service restored but with monitoring for seven days. At the end of that time, my usage was EXTRAPOLATED to suggest what it might translate to over the course of an entire month, which was estimated to be a colossal 4% over the stated "not a strict usage cap" limit. On the basis of this extremely minor - and so far only imaginary - excess, my service was restriced to 7K again.

The claims on the SUP page are simply complete lies. If you come anywhere near the "monthly" limits (which, of course, have not yet existed for a month), you will have your service restricted with NO warning, never mind repeated warnings. Despite the limits being "not a strict usage cap", you will be restricted even BEFORE you exceed them, if it simply looks like you might at some point.

These actions are flatly in breach of statutory consumer rights. Rest assured that if my service is not restored, I'll be taking legal action on behalf of all of us in order that we might all continue to receive what we're paying for, and a service which conforms to its own guidelines. If Plusnet can't supply a service that can keep up with its own capabilities, they should get the hell out of the broadband business until they can.
N/A

Where do plusnet state they are offering an unlimited product?

A link to the relevant pages will surfice.

http://www.plus.net/residential/broadband/broadband_plus.shtml?link=resbb_pluslink

This is the Plus product not the 'Premier' in which it states:

No need to keep track of how much you download

So maybe doesn't use the word unlimited, but if you don't have to keep track of your downloads it's a little unfair to pull you up on a limit you don't have to check? No?[/url]