cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Mis-handled upgrade - seriously annoyed

N/A

Three weeks ago I submitted a request through Contact Us to have my line speed upgraded from 1Mbit to 2Mbit. This was as a result of BT making some changes to my wiring which led to my line stats improving to ATT 29dB, SNR 27dB. Well within the 2Mbit limits.

After the request was bumped to BT on October 4th I heard nothing whatsoever either from PN or BT. This morning I raised a second ticket to try and get things moving. After a bit of to-ing and fro-ing through contact us and a phone call, I managed to get CS to realise I wasn't waiting for the exchange to be upgraded (already done), and the request was resubmitted to BT.

Within an hour or so I've had 2 emails saying firstly the upgrade has been made, then was successful and will be activated within half a day, and then now I receive the following:

Ticket: 17863722 Closed
Raised: 2005-10-21 13:00:55 by: Automatic
2005-10-21
13:00:55
Support
Open : A regrade of this customer's line has not been possible. Please refund the relevant portion of the regrade fee.

2005-10-21
13:12:39
[removed CS name]
Customer Support Centre Closed : Dear Mr Gibson,
Refunded.

Regards,
[removed CS name]

So that's it. Three weeks of silence followed a brief flurry of activity after I stir it up, followed by a two sentence brush-off with absolutely no explanation of why my upgrade failed.

I'm paying for 'the fastest speed my line will support up to 2Mbit'. My line will support 2Mbit. Why am I not getting what I am paying for?

If someone from PN wants to tell me my modem diagnostics are talking rubbish and actually my stats are too poor for 2Mbit, then fine. Please do so.

If on the other hand if (as I suspect) I'm being shafted because of BT's innacurate database, which has everyone around me on the 2Mbit list but apparently not this house, what is my Service Provder prepared to do about it? Beyond brushing me off I mean?

Can PN please look into this further, because I'm aggrieved at not getting what I appear to be entitled to. I'd expect a conscientious ISP to bottom this issue out for me...

Thank you.
4 REPLIES
Plusnet Staff
Plusnet Staff
Fixes: 1

Hi,

The regrade system is automated and ties into the BT database. If the regrade is rejected by the BT database then it would get rejected.

I can resubmit the regrade manually for you but I should note that even if it goes through there's a chance the line would be unstable. If you are OK with this, put it on a ticket and letme know.
N/A

Thank you.

On the basis of my reported line stats I'll take the chance of instability. Presumably PN can easily set me back down to 1Mbit if 2Mbit plays up. But I'm getting ahead of myself...

I'll raise a ticket.

[Edit] Request appended to ticket number 17862391
Plusnet Staff
Plusnet Staff
Fixes: 1

Yep, the line stats look good and you shouldn't have a problem, but it's something I always say whenever I put a manual regrade in. If there's a problem, report it straight away and if the problem is just that the line won't handle 2Mb then they usually just downgrade it back to 1Mbps.
N/A

Incredibly this still hasn't been resolved. I'm still waiting for my regrade.

CS do stuff-all unless you ring them up and ask what's happening, then they just do the minimum necessary and it falls into a black hole again.

I seem to be stuck in an endless cycle of automated responses shuffling me around in queues with nobody actually doing anything to progress my request.

I am still waiting for an update on my regrade request which I was promised would be given at 09:00 on Monday. All that happened was I received yet another auto-reply saying my ticket had been returned to the 'pool' to be dealt with 'as soon as possible'.

I rang yesterday to ask for an update and imparted the hopefully useful information that BT themselves had tested my line and amended their database to show it was good for 2Mbps. CS lindly undertook to put a regrade request in for me :roll:

What they hell had I been asking for before then? What happened to the other regrade request that was supposed to be made last week?

Nobody takes ownership of tickets. They just get pushed around from one department or CS rep to another with no-one actually understanding or caring what the issue is, and why should they? Hey! It'll be someone elses problem in a few keystrokes! Stuff gets lost in a queue and by the time the customer gets frustrated enough to ask what's going on a fob-off 'next action due on such-a-date' reply is posted. 'Ah, that's more like it' thinks the punter - 'an undertaking to do something and report back'. But wait, what does the report say? The request has come out of limbo and been put to the back of the queue it was in in the first place!

Oh, and don't forget to record each conversation with the customer on a seperate ticket and close it immediately - keeps the response time stats looking good Wink

Ah heck, at risk of spiking my own guns the lad I spoke to last Friday was genuinely helpful, but he's by no means typical. Overall I'm getting in a MAC-key kind of mood...