cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Mini rant and question regarding Plus.net products/service

N/A

I've been with Plus.net for almost two years and have in general been very happy with them.

The last few months changes to all the product ranges have started to annoy me however.

First of all I'm on Homesurf 512kb for which I'm paying £18.99 a month.

When I signed up this was an un-metered and unrestricted service.

Since then I've seen the fair-usage policy been announced and then removed.. except that they conveniently left some of the P2P ports blocked.

The blocking of those ports was also only mentioned in the original fair usage email via a reference to point 50.1 of the AUP.

In addition now I see that I could get my service with a 2Mbit connection for less than I'm paying but wasn't notified of this.

I find it very poor that Plus.net are perfectly happy to change the conditions of use, which they are within their rights to do so, but don't think it necessary to notify people when they are paying above the normal rate for their service.

I now want to get a service which is both un-metered and doesn't restrict any ports inbound or outbound. If I had wanted restricted port usage I would have signed up for it in the first place.

So after all that moaning....

Could someone please tell me what product I need to change to in order to get a completely unrestricted and unmetered service?

Seeing as this is what I originally subscribed to I would like to get it back..
9 REPLIES
Ben_Brown
Grafter

Hi there,

The blocking of Peer-2-Peer is a core part of the HomeSurf acccount, and has nothing to do with the Fair Usage Policy.

If you would like to move to a product that allows you to use P2P as much as you want you will need to upgrade to the Premier account, which is £21.99 a month.

The 2MB connection that's £14.99 is Plus, and while you can use P2P with it, it will be significantly slower than on the Premier account.
N/A

Homesurf has always been had restrictions of P2P and Binary USENET access. This was the reason why it was cheaper over ADSL Home.

Since this time, PlusNet have pro-activly developed how they block P2P and USENET.

To get an unrestricted product, you best move would be to Premier @ £21.99 a month.

The PAYG product is bandwidth restricted (where you pay for more), and the Plus product will see speed limitations.
Community Veteran

I find it very poor that Plus.net are perfectly happy to change the conditions of use, which they are within their rights to do so, but don't think it necessary to notify people when they are paying above the normal rate for their service.

All changes to the terms and conditions are notified by email. I'd hardly say the price you pay for the Home Surf is over and above the normal price, take a look at other ISPs and the restrictions they have in place, home surf is a competitive product.

I now want to get a service which is both un-metered and doesn't restrict any ports inbound or outbound. If I had wanted restricted port usage I would have signed up for it in the first place.

But you did! Home surf has always been restricted, hence the reason it was sold at this lower price.

Chris
N/A

The only difference is the way that the restrictions are policed.
In the past, things could be done, which should not have been possible for that type of account, but now PN have re-vamped their system to ensure that the written policies are now automatically enforced, rather than relying on users to desist from activities they hadn't paid for...
N/A

Thanks all for the very prompt and informative replys.

It seems that I must eat my words and am very willing to do so!

I was never aware of any restriction on the use of the Homesurf account. It seems that this was just my lack of understanding of the product. The restrictions I was speaking about were mainly outbound SMTP blocking and inbound Netbios,CIFS and HTTP blocking specifically. My concern was that if P2P ports are now being blocked then the others couldn't be far behind.

I don't believe that I was paying over the odds either, I feel that the price I was paying was perfectly acceptable, otherwise I wouldn't have paid it in the first place! My point , while it may have been received wrong, is that if the price was reduced for an almost identical service then I would have liked to have been notified.
I'd find it hard to believe, though definitely not impossible, that the 2MBit Plus service for £14.99 gives a slower connection than my £18.99 512kbit connection. Perhaps again there are other factors such as webspace quotas, email accounts.. etc.. which account for this so again I could be misinformed.

That being said I must apologise for the comments made in the previous post. It seems I was misinformed about what I had originally signed up for.

Thanks to all again for setting me straight!
N/A

It certainly can be confusing, especially given the fast moving nature of ISP packages on offer, the end result is that we end up with such a myriad of different products, both legacy and current, that it is almost impossible to keep up. You are by no means the first of us to be confused, and I'm sure there will be many more in a similar quandry. The good news is that by asking the question, you will likely have helped someone else in a similar position.
N/A

Hi,

I am on the same service as MAIRTIN (Home Surf 512k) as was not aware that there were any restrictions. That aside - What will I be getting when BT eventually carry out the free upgrade to 2Mb? PS :- I am paying £18.99 / month.

Will I be getting Home Surf 2Mb and will there be any restrictions. I was using Limewire (P2P) before , quite happily and then it became blocked. I was advised by a company that I had paid to enable me to be able to copy music (MP3) using Limewire. As Limewire has now been blocked , I cannot download anymore. The company I was using was ALLMUSIC.COM.

While I am in this post , I tried to connect to the Internet at 2235hrs and was unable to do so , but was then able to connect at 2330hrs when I was able to log into PN. Have there been any outages?

Regards Ian
N/A

There is some restrictions on BB+ but I think you will really only notice the monthly cost being reduced, at least that is what I have found changing from Home Surf.

Sadly as you can see in other threads PN have consistently kept legacy accounts, especially when they are lucrative to them and consistently not given enough info to their customers for them to know that there are cheaper products that are very similar on offer.
N/A

One thing I am trying to look at, is if you where notified or not of the new products.

I am sure this information went out in News letters.

However, if you have performed a opt out during or after signup, then PlusNet will not have sent this information, as you have chosen not to receive it.