Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Migration from AOL!

N/A

Migration from AOL!

Hello,

This is my first post!
I have AOL broadband 1mb £19.99(Absolutely No Limits).
My migration is due to complete 12/10/05. I have went for the £14.99 broadband hoping to receive 2mb and improve my XBOX Live.
First of all:-
Did I make the right decision to change!
I enjoy downloading from torrents. Will they be affected and by how much?
Will I get PlusNet broadband by tommorow(Do migrations keep to schedule?)
Why have the customer support phone lines been so busy?
When did PlusNet introduce these Limits and is USENET any good?

Best Wishes Cheesy
Stephen
9 REPLIES
N/A

Migration from AOL!

Hi welcome to the forums,

If you are after a package to use for p2p or usenet then the BB+ is the wrong choice, and the premier package would be a little better but not by much if you after speed,

As for x-box live i cant say never used it,

Customer surport being busey then might be best to look throught the postings on here and AG to know the reasons,

thxs
N/A

Migration from AOL!

Thank you for the quick reply Smiley
So is PlusNet better than AOL?
Could you explain to me how they are better and worse.
What speeds will I get downloading via Torrents?
Will they be full speed at nightime.
Lastly could a moderator look when my migration is due to complete and how lightly this date is correct?
What do I do after I migrate? What details do I type into my modem.

Best Wishes
Stephen
Community Veteran

Migration from AOL!

Not sure why you started a pollHuh

Broadband what? PlusNet have many broadband products: premier, plus, PAYG

If it was broadband plus you are migrating too (which I suspect) then you chose the wrong product. BB+ is not recomended for P2P or binary usenet downloading because it is heavily shaped (i.e. speed limited) hence why it is cheaper. It does state this in the product description!!!

You need to be on broadband premier @ £21.99 to use those services.

Migrations take between 5 & 7 days. Sometimes it happens a day or so earler, and sometimes a day r so later.

Customer support does get busy during the day. You can see what the waiting times are on the phone here so check this to find a quite time to call.

There are no limits on BB+ (although recent actions appear to suggest there are). The Sustainable usage policy only applies to premier, PAYG and homesurf products.
N/A

Migration from AOL!

So BB+ which I have migrated to from AOL. What are the download speeds from torrent file. Is BB+ a good package for medium users?
Thanks
Stephen
N/A

Migration from AOL!

Depends on what you want.

£14.99 vs £19.99 Better price yes

Speed wise for p2p or usenet at peaktime 16:00 till 00:00 then if you dont mind d/l at 40k from a usnet server or 10k on p2p ..? only you can answer that and compare it too Aol.

you should recive all the details via e-mail eg login etc.

thxs
N/A

Migration from AOL!

Hi Stephen,

ADSL Guide have a compare ISP tool, which will provide unbiased information to enable you to compare the two ISP's. Link Compare

For me there is no comparison, though as mentioned above, you need to choose your package carefully so as to avoid dissapointment.
N/A

Migration from AOL!

With Plusnet your limited to a 30 gig limit (month)
(go over this and they put you on the naughty boy step) forver !

Gaming is graded as silver so its slower during peak times.

p2p forgot this on both products (prem & + ) because you will hit the limit in less than a week.

Usenet plusnet is a complete waste of time, its always breaking and faster downloading using a 56k modem.

I came here before all the problems unfortunalty i'm stuck but come this time next year I'm out of her so fast you'll see rubber burns on my butt.

Looking at Aol they offer a better product compared to Plusnet (wow I actually said that lol - never thought I would see the day.) with aol you have the ability not to use there software and your connection is totally un-capped.
___oDiN__
Grafter

Migration from AOL!

if i remember correctly aol route thier traffic via usa so you should deffo notice some speed differences with plusnet, I just hope the caps sups fups ect dont spoil it for you
JonathanW
Grafter

Migration from AOL!

With Plusnet your limited to a 30 gig limit (month)
(go over this and they put you on the naughty boy step) forver !

This isn't entirely accurate. The Premier package does have a SUP of 30gb during peak hours, but in total the £21.99 Premier package has a SUP of 100gb a month. Additionally, the SUP doesn't apply to the Plus package.

p2p forgot this on both products (prem & + ) because you will hit the limit in less than a week.

Again, Plus isn't designed for p2p, which is one of the reasons why it runs slower. But even on Premier careful usage of p2p won't cause you to hit your SUP level.

Usenet plusnet is a complete waste of time, its always breaking and faster downloading using a 56k modem.

This is something that we're currently working on to resolve, as we have indeed had some issues with our usenet platform over the past few weeks. Though at the moment there's no time frame for the work to be complete.

I came here before all the problems unfortunalty i'm stuck but come this time next year I'm out of her so fast you'll see rubber burns on my butt.

Looking at Aol they offer a better product compared to Plusnet (wow I actually said that lol - never thought I would see the day.) with aol you have the ability not to use there software and your connection is totally un-capped.

One final thing to clarify, the SUP isn't a cap, you can continue to use the connection after you reach 100gb, and all that will happen in the first instance is a warning. Further action is taken after more downloading, and simply sees you being put on a managed profile.