cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Migration and deferred activation fee

N/A

Hi

Writing this on my parents behalf as they are complete 'noobs' in the world of computers, plus il try to keep it as short as possible

We setup our plusnet 'plus' 2mb service around august 2005, moving away from the thrills of dial-up. The service was excellent for most of that first year, but in the last few months it has gone downhill and we've realised that a 4gb download limit and 2mb speed is not sufficient for our needs.

My younger brother plays many games online, and downloads modifictaions + maps etc heavily, plus streams videos sometimes (youtube). With all of this happening the 4gb limit seems to disappear within the first week or two of the month. But in the last few months the speed of the service has become dire.

Im back from uni now and doing a few speed checks this week showed that our service is BARELY above 56k dial-up speeds :shock: One of us can play counterstrike-source without any problem, but any other internet activites (another person on css, web browsing) becomes totally unusable. I understand that there are measures on our line as we are at around 6gb this month, but 56kbps speeds are frankly taking the ****
I understand that there might be upgrades and servicing going on, but ive had no more than a few hours of 2mb indicated speed in the last week, and even browsing in unbearably slow.

We are contemplating moving to another ISP with 24mb speeds (even though we will get around 9mb), with no hard usage caps , and i have a few questions:

1- I don't have a clue what service we are on, and after reading about 'LLU opt out' and other things regarding varying MAC key's im not sure what to ask for?

2- The billing date at the moment is around th 5th of each month, so i suppose asking for a MAC the day before is the way to go ?

3- In the accounts area the 'deferred activation' of ~£50 is still there which worries me. As we have been with year for longer than 1 year, will that be payable if we migrate ?

Cheers

Ad
5 REPLIES
gswindale
Grafter

If you migrate now, then the deferred fees still apply. These have reduced from when you first signed up (I signed up a couple of months before you and have seen the deduction down to £47).

I would suggest that you at least wait until later this month for the product refresh - hopefully some of the new products available will be more suitable, but the deferred fees will hopefully be disappearing at this point as well for the likes of you and I.
Plusnet Staff
Plusnet Staff
Fixes: 1

Hi,

The reason for the slow speeds is because you've gone over the 4GB peak time usage allowance on your account. The speeds will be restricted if you go over.

The best thing I can advise doing is to upgrade to either Premier or PAYG as these would be more suitable for your usage and should give you better performance.

You can also place a free regrade request to the up to 8Mbps speeds at http://max.plus.net which should give you a speed increase as well.
N/A

Hi,

The reason for the slow speeds is because you've gone over the 4GB peak time usage allowance on your account. The speeds will be restricted if you go over.

I totally understand this, but 56k dialup speeds with painfully slow web browsing seems OTT.

The best thing I can advise doing is to upgrade to either Premier or PAYG as these would be more suitable for your usage and should give you better performance.

You can also place a free regrade request to the up to 8Mbps speeds at http://max.plus.net which should give you a speed increase as well.

There is a possibility that we might stay, but even with the premier package restrictions start appearing at teh 13gb monthly download limit, and im pretty sure our limit will be much higher than that, as we have stopped pretty much everything atm on the BB+ service and still seem to go over the allowance with ease.

On requesting a MAC key, how do i know if we are on LLU as i don't remember recieving any emails or hearing anything about this during our time here.

cheers
Plusnet Staff
Plusnet Staff
Fixes: 1

You've passed your billing date now so the restrictions should now have been lifted. The reason the speeds were so low is because of how much you've gone over the peak time allowance.

You can check the amount you use using the view my usage tool under Connection settings on the left, based on the last 3 months the Broadband Premier account would be fine, or you may want to wait for the new products next week.

Regarding LLU, the easiest way to check is to go to

http://usertools.plus.net/@gateway

This should tell which gateway you are connected to, if it's LLU it should say you are connected to THN-AG2 (LLU).
N/A

Wait until the product refresh next week before making any decisions about leaving- there are some changes coming online that should work in your favour.

In terms of checking if you're on LLU, you should have been contacted twice via your postmaster account before being moved across (there will be two corresponding closed tickets on your account).

As you're looking back over a longer time period and might not be the person who checks your e-mail, checking your gateway here is probably the best bet. If you're on LLU you'll be using gateway thn-ag2.