Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Migrating a troublesome line to Plusnet

snj
Grafter

Hi,

I have a friend on f2s who has a troublesome ADSL connection - essentially his SNR levels fluctuate wildly throughout the day. He has no extra internal wiring so I'm pretty sure it's outside our control.

His connection stays up but sync rates vary from 7Mb to 120K, usually settling at about 250K. I would like to try to get him on a fixed rate ADSL service at about 512K in the hope that his connection might be more stable and usable, however f2s aren't willing to change his service from Max to experiment, saying he either has to put up with it or they'll disconnect him.

I was wondering... if he migrated to Plusnet would you be willing to at least try him on a fixed 512K service (for example) to see if that improved things? If it doesn't work then at least we know he can just about get away with Max, so I don't think he's be any worse off.
5 REPLIES
Isitme
Grafter

Has he tried using the excellent troubleshooting guide on KITZ'S site?
snj
Grafter

Thanks, but over the months I've tried all the suggestions. I was just wondering if a lower speed fixed rate service might be more stable.
Plusnet Staff
Plusnet Staff
Fixes: 1

Hi,

I don't see any reason why we can't migrate your friend over and regrade him on to a fixed rate service. It's not what I would class as a normal request so would need processing manually, but there shouldn't be any problem doing that.

What I would say to do is for your friend to signup as normal, then once complete raise a ticket saying he wants to migrate in and change to a 512kbps fixed rate service rather than staying on Max (say why as well) and the broadband operations team should be able to submit the order manually.
N/A

Firstly, I would suggest getting to the bottom of your friends line problem before attempting to migrate to another ISP. If it's a line fault, it will still be there, no matter which ISP you use.....and I wouldn't count on a swift solution from Plusnet if you still have problems after migrating and it's a BT problem, they were completely useless when I had line trouble.

Personally, I would be screaming at F2S to find out what the problem is and they should get BT to investiage if it's beyond their control. I wouldn't risk entering into a new 12 months contract with another ISP until you're line's stable, especially one with such a poor customer service history as Plusnet.
snj
Grafter

MrT>
Dave thanks - that's just what I was hoping to hear. I'll put it to my friend to see if he wants to give it a go.

gsandford>>

Thanks for the concern, but as I said, I've tried pretty much everything I can think of, I didn't scream at f2s since they were quite helpful and got BT out twice but on neither occasion did they find any fault (nor, thankfully, did they charge me). They did however reassess the line and said it was simply unsuitable for ADSL (due to the fluctuating SNR) and after that any further lookups on the number against the BT database indicated that ADSL wasn't viable on that line.

However, as the line was already active and has been so for about six months, the database seems to have corrected itself and quotes fixed rates of 250 and 500K.

I'm pretty sure the problem is outside the flat where the phone lines run in parallel with an enormous bunch of other wires - it's council owned and I'm not about to muck about with it, and there is zero chance of getting Lambeth to do anything about it.

I don't expect the line quality to improve by moving to a new ISP, I just wondered if they would be more helpful than f2s in trying to get a stable connection at something other than his current 160K, since my experience of Plusnet has been pretty good when it comes to customer service (admittedly I've sometimes had to come through the forums rather than the ticket system).

Also it would be a migration, so he wouldn't be subject to a 12 month contract.