cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Messenger and certain sites not working.

Community Veteran

All of the above work fine for me at the moment.
Are you still unable to connect to them?
14 REPLIES
N/A

I wonder if anybody can help me, or if they are having similar problems.

Since yesterday I have been unable to connect to the msn messenger service. www.hotmail.com also times out, along with www.ebay.co.uk and www.maplin.co.uk... If anybody can help me, let me know.
Thanks,
John.

Moderators note by John (John Essex) Duplicate post removed.
N/A

I had the same problem, couldn't access ebay, broadbandbuyer and other sites.
Restarted the router and everything worked fine.
N/A

I have'nt been able to access www.tek-tips.com from work or home.

I did notice a few issues with access from work using several different internet connections today.
Community Veteran

Tek-tips is working fine for me ?
N/A

Messenger has been playing up lately
LiamM
Grafter

Yeah, they have been having problems with it. I have a friend who (apparently) can't get on at the moment. Though I am signed in fine.
N/A

Mine is back on now, but it's been off for the 30 mins at least.
N/A

Plus. This issue needs addressing! i too have had the same problems, i have spoke to customer support who all give me differnt suggestions (all relation to mt pc's) I have also have contacted msn. I too have difficulties with the above sites and messenger. i have found that if i dissconnect my router for 10 mins or so all works fine again however i opperate an allways on policy and do not want to be switching my router on and off all the time.
My suggestion is that PLUS have a problem with one of thier dns servers causeing this problem, its possibly old and out of date and begining to fail. as a new customer i am very dissapointed with the "its not a problem at our end" remarks from technical support which has caused me to re check me setting and make un needed changes to try and over come the prohblem. Now that i find this post i feel like swapping my isp again. I have been using BT for 4 years and the day i migrate over I get the above problems with MSN and the above sites being none accessable and Plus tell me point blank ITS NOT THEIR END!.

Sort it out please Plus
Normally i would not post theses comments in public view but im fuming.

Evil Evil Evil Evil Evil Evil Evil Evil Evil Evil Evil Evil Evil Evil Evil Evil Evil Evil Evil Evil Evil Evil Evil
Ben_Brown
Grafter

We can only fix a problem when we know what is causing the problem, and we can only do this if we can replicate the problem. Currently I can look up all these domains on all our nameservers without any issues.

It may be beneficial to set our nameservers manually in your router, the addresses you can use are as follows:

N/A

i have entered the dns ip,s into my router (49+50)
this problem has again apeared today and after three times of disconnecting and re connecting my router the messenger and sites are still unavailable.
I have a thirteen year old daughter and messenger is the most important thing in her life at present so my life is becoming hell.
I also neew msn messenger as i run a gaming squad.
technicals latest advise is to try another messaging service (not what im looking for)
LLU is available at my exchange and that 4meg connection is looking more and more apealing every day.
N/A

This issue could be solved, ive just spoken to michel at customer support who listened and did not just dissmiss ity as being my equipment he made one suggestion and a reboot later msn ws working again.
Here is what he suggested.
I may be not getting all i need from the DNS servers so as i had allready manually added them in to my router settings he suggested that i use 212.159.13.50 as the primary and 212.159.6.10 as the secondry Notice the ip's are very diffenrt (suggestes to me that they are differnt servrs and differnt locations) he said that this way if the primary dns fialed to provide all that i need my router would seek it from the secondary dns server.
As this worked first time after many unsucessfull reboots earlier it suggesteds to me that the dns servers 212.159.13.49 and 212.159.13.50 do have somer underling problem that might only afect older routers. i will wait to see how things go but any one else having probs i suggest you try these dns settings.
oh and a thankyou to Michel for NOT assuming everyone who rings technical has the inteligance of a four year old.
N/A

i had a issue like this before, i wasnt able to get to some sites, i got my ip address changed and it worked
N/A

I have a friend who uses AOL and is experiencing the EXACT same problems.

I wouldnt be so quick to accuse Plus.net of being at fault. Sounds much more likely to me that some nasty spyware type bug has fiddled around with something on your computer.

I once had an issue where spyware had altered my registry to prevent me from using google (and instead was redirecting me to some dubious looking sites).... could be something similar?
N/A

Hotmail

I switched from BT to Plus this week and quickly came across this problem with Hotmail and other sites (eg Apple).

By changing my router from the default DNS settings (Use Auto Discovered DNS Servers Only) to those suggested above, it so far has been fine. Thanks for the posts.