Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Messages from the Event Horizon

Mark_Dowd
Grafter

Hi.

I'm sure I read somewhere that spammers consider email addresses that do not respond in the negative to be valid (unfortumately I can't remember where I read this, despite searching until the wee hours).

Does/can the black hole address send a "not found here" SMTP response, prior to trashing the mail, or will this merely end up in another innocent's inbox?

Regards :-)
2 REPLIES
csogilvie
Grafter

Its highly likely that it will end up in another inocents mailboxes as with Virus emails etc. the From Address is invalid - this is also one reason you should never use the "Bounce" option in programs such as MailWasher, you can just be adding to the problem
N/A

This links into another idea posted here, to allow users to define valid mail addresses for their subdomain. Anything outside that would be dumped.

The only half-good way to do this is at SMTP connection time. If you try to mail fakeuser@tranchant.plus.com, my server will reject your connection before you send any headers:

220 tranchant.plus.com ESMTP Sendmail 8.12.11/8.12.11; Wed, 14 Apr 2004 13:52:10 +0100
EHLO localhost
250 tranchant.plus.com Hello localhost [127.0.0.1], pleased to meet you
MAIL FROM:<alice@example.com>
250 2.1.0 <alice@example.com>... Sender ok
RCPT TO:<fakeuser@tranchant.plus.com>
550 5.1.1 <fakeuser@tranchant.plus.com>... No such user here

...and that's game over. No wasted bandwidth sending the message prior to rejection.

This will still result in an unnecessary bounce message if the spammer used a valid but spoofed MAIL address and sent it via a relay. Other filters I use will reduce the likelihood of such a combination getting this far, but this sort of rejection is a good thing to do for valid mail, such as typos in the address.