Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Maximum Email Message Size

Studio_Two
Grafter

Hello,

Last thing I heard, the maximum message size for an email (sent from plusnet) was 100mb. Could someone confirm if this is still the case?

A message was sent to me from a plusnet account (using outlook express), but has been rejected as exceeding 15Mb.

As far as I know, there are no restrictions at my end.

TIA
Stephen
4 REPLIES
N/A

Do you have a copy of the NDR? The SMTP server: relay.plus.net does list 100MB as the limit (SIZE value in bytes)...

220 relay.plus.net ESMTP Exim Thu, 12 May 2005 10:59:54 +0100

ehlo
250-ptb-relay03.plus.net Hello [...]
250-SIZE 104857600
250-PIPELINING
250-AUTH PLAIN LOGIN
250 HELP
Julie
Grafter

Hi there,

The limits used to be for webmail attachments 20MB, and if you're sending/receiving through an email client the limit is 100MB.

However, I cannot find any information in the FAQ to see if this has changed with the new packages but I shouldn't have thought so...

Were you receiving this attachment into a plusnet e-mail address?
Studio_Two
Grafter

Sadly, I don't have access to the NDR at the moment.

Hopefully the header will reveal the exact point at which it got returned. I have a feeling it is the people who forward our messages to the domain (nicnames / fastweb). Their support page states that there IS a limit on their mailboxes (10Mb), but no limit for messages that are forwarded.

Thanks for your prompt reply.

Stephen
Studio_Two
Grafter

Hi there,

The limits used to be for webmail attachments 20MB, and if you're sending/receiving through an email client the limit is 100MB.

However, I cannot find any information in the FAQ to see if this has changed with the new packages but I shouldn't have thought so...

Were you receiving this attachment into a plusnet e-mail address?

Hello,
My Account at work (receiving) is not a PlusNet account. Nicnames forward all the domain messages into a Zen Mailbox.

From what you are all saying, this seems to be a problem elsewhere. My guess is at the "forwarding" stage. Having said that:

Thanks for all your help. I'll be sure to post back when the problem is resolved.

Stephen