cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

MaxDSL upgrade question

pepsi_max2k
Grafter

MaxDSL upgrade question

Hey, I put in an "Upgrade now to 'Up to 8Mb'"... request on Nov 23rd and haven't experienced any changes in sync speed since, even after re-syncing every few days (constantly 22xx kbps up, 2xx down). I had a look at the BT order tracker website a while ago and all it has is an entry from the same day I put in the request (23rd) saying:

Code:

Placed 23 Nov 2006
Description CHANGE
Date due 23 Nov 2006
Status Order completed

Items in this order
Description Item Quantity Cost Rental
PROVIDE LLU LINE SHARE PSTN 1 £ 0.0 £ 0.0
CEASE BT IPSTREAM MAX 1 £ 0.0 £ 0.0

The "CEASE BT IPSTREAM MAX" part imparticular doesn't look too promising. Could anyone let me know what's happening / what's meant to happen? Am I destined to be stuck on 2 Mbps forever?
15 REPLIES
MrToast
Grafter

MaxDSL upgrade question

Looking at that note without knowing anything else it looks like you are being migrated to LLU. That is your service will no longer be provided over the BT network but by Tiscalli.

PN are supposed to send an email to notify you of that and give you chance to 'opt out' and keep your service on the BT network.

For background see this thread

Perhaps you were already on DSLMax, its just that 2mbps is the limit for your line?
pepsi_max2k
Grafter

MaxDSL upgrade question

well around a year ago it was syncing at around 4 Mbps but it hasn't done that for a while, but i know it's capable of higher speeds. and as for the llu message, i've read elsewhere that just recently all work carried out on a dsl line has been labled as "llu" something or other, so i'm not too sure how much to believe it. Also, http://usertools.plus.net/@gateway/ tells me i'm on pte-ag1 which, according to this http://portal.plus.net/central/forums/viewtopic.php?t=51488&highlight=pteag1 , means i'm still on bt, not llu'd. frankly, i don't really care, i'd just like to know if i'm getting what i'm meant to be getting or not.
Community Veteran

MaxDSL upgrade question

You need to raise a question with the above info included so PN can investigate. If you have previously been syncing at higher than 2Mbs then you were at one point either on Max or LLU, but it appears you are back to a standard 2Mbs BT connection now.

Assuming you have not requested a move back to IPSTREAM HOME 2000 something has clearly gone wrong.
pepsi_max2k
Grafter

MaxDSL upgrade question

Raised a question and got this:

"Please be advised that you are currently on a BT MaxDSL service."

And yet still with a 2272 Kbps up / 288 Kbps down sync rate. Router says this:

Local Tx Power: 11.34 dB
Remote Tx Power: 16.45 dB
Local Line Atten.: 42.0 dB
Remote Line Atten.: 24.5 dB
Local SNR Margin: 16.5 dB
Remote SNR Margin: 24.0 dB

And BT speed tester says "IP profile for your line is - 2000 kbps".

Is there any reason why this shouldn't be higher?
James
Grafter

MaxDSL upgrade question

Hi there,

Your current product is IPStream Home 2000. We are unable to see any orders on your telephone line.

However, BT Wholesale are in the process of moving all circuits onto an LLU type system, which will be the order that you are able to see.

This has absolutely zero, nada, zip to do with Tiscali.
MrToast
Grafter

MaxDSL upgrade question

However, BT Wholesale are in the process of moving all circuits onto an LLU type system, which will be the order that you are able to see.

Could you elaborate?

In what sense is BTw moving to an 'LLU type system'?

I understood that LLU was about different services on the copper pair (local loop) being provided by equipmnet at the exchange belonging to different providers. eg POTS exchange by BT and ADSL modem (DSLAM?) by someone else. If they are both provided by BT its not unbundled....?

Unbundling is commercial / contractual not technical..... Or is there something else
Plusnet Staff
Plusnet Staff
Fixes: 1

MaxDSL upgrade question

Hi,

There are major changes afoot at BT, as part of the introduction of Openreach (who are essentially the engineers who do the work at the exchanges and on the lines) the way ADSL lines are being managed is changing. With Openreach now seperate from BT Wholesale the way Openreach manage the ADSL circuits is intended to be the same whether it's IPStream, Datastream or LLU. As far as Openreach are concerned they all become LLU.

So where before an Openreach engineer would have received a work report that would have said provide IPStream Max, it now says provide LLU (with a share PSTN). Which is what may show up on the BT order tracker (for some orders it will still show IPStream as the rollout is only in the initial stages).

Traditionally LLU did just mean different Telcos (like Tiscali and Easynet) putting their own equipment in the BT exchange and then either supplying both broadband and voice services (a full LLU transfer like Bulldog) or shared LLU service (broadband via the LLU supplier such as Tiscali, voice with BT or via BT wholesale line rental like our Home Phone), but now as I say Openreach are starting to treat BT Wholesale's IPStream and Datastream services as one big LLU network.
Plusnet Staff
Plusnet Staff

MaxDSL upgrade question

Apologies if the above post doesn't make sense, if you want to ask any questions feel free to, but it is all a little confusing. My brother in law is a BT, sorry Openreach engineer and it does get confusing talk to him about it.
pepsi_max2k
Grafter

MaxDSL upgrade question

Thanks for the err... educated answers.

But where does this leave my original "Up to 8mb upgrade"? As I'm still on IPStream Home 2000, and no one's put any orders in for the line, does that just mean that no one's got round to changing me on to a Max service yet (and it'll happen when they do), should I put in another request, or is it just not gonna happen?
James
Grafter

MaxDSL upgrade question

Hmm. Curioser and curiouser. BT's main ordering system believes that you are on Max, and the other is reporting that you are not, as proved by the levels of sync that you are currently attaining.

I'll get this raised and see if I can get some movement on this.
N/A

MaxDSL upgrade question

23rd of November? I applied in MAY and still I wait patiently.

:shock:
MrToast
Grafter

MaxDSL upgrade question

Apologies if the above post doesn't make sense,

Thank you, it did make sense.
N/A

MaxDSL upgrade question

Hi Dave

Apologies if the above post doesn't make sense, if you want to ask any questions feel free to, but it is all a little confusing.

I have recently requested to be moved from LLU back to a BT product: when I have been annoyed with PN in the past (e.g. losing all of my email) I have wished that my broadband connection was more portable Smiley

Does what you have said in this post mean that this is a pointless exercise for me to go through?

thanks,
andrew
Plusnet Staff
Plusnet Staff

MaxDSL upgrade question

Hi,

I guess it depends, what's reason for changing from LLU to BT, is it just to make it easier to move at some later date or because of problems with the service itself.

If it's just because of the former then I would say it's probably a pointless exercise simply because if you do choose to leave at a later date in all likelihood you'd be able to migrate from LLU to the new ISP with a MAC. All ISPs are now able to migrate a customer from LLU if the choose to and the new MAC regulations and charges from BT for ceasing a line should mean that most will actually do this now.