cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

MaxDSL upgrade and Customer Service advice by email

N/A

I asked to queue jump April 24th and rec'd an acknowledgement April 25th. The response said I would be told by email when the request had been submitted and also when it had been accepted. Having seen the recent post that BT had withdrawn the bulk upgrading tool pro tem, I didn't expect anything to happen for a while. I did a random speed check a couple of days ago and noticed my download speed had improved considerably. I raised a ticket to ask if I had been upgraded and if so why no email and was told

Your line has been upgrades to maxdsl. unfortunately due to the way the bulk upgrade tool work it does not send e-mail notification that this has been completed.

The English is their's, not mine btw.

Elsewhere on the forums I read that someone else had received 6 emails on Monday from Customer Service telling him his MaxDSL upgrade had been done. So no change there in consistency of replies from CS.

I now have no idea when my upgrade was implemented and I am wondering whether not disconnecting my router which is on 24/7 from time to time in the first 14 days, also advice included in the original response, will have been detrimental to my ultimate connection speed?

Clearly it is pointless asking CS who appear to find most things bewildering but I thought the forum gurus would know. Perhaps I should just be grateful my connection is still working?
7 REPLIES
N/A

If you have been moved to MaxDSL, I can only offer you my sincerest condolences. :roll:
Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

If you were moved to MaxDSL and like me didn't notice for a bit because of the total lack of problems I can only offer you my heartiest congratulations.

What speed is your router synced at and what does https://portal.plus.net/my.html?action=stable_rate say? If they are very different reconnecting once a day for a few days may help.
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£13/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
N/A

Hi Elvin,

Yes, I think I have been very lucky judging by the other posts on the forums.

Your link, which was very helpful, and I didn't know existed, says my current Broadband speed is 8000Kbps.

My router says my downstream speed is 8128 Kbps.

The actual download speed, depending on which bandwidth tester I use, is about half of that most of the time which is probably to be expected as I don't actually live in the exchange, which I suspect is the only way to get 8meg.
Community Veteran

Distance from the exchange only affects the sync speed - your actual speed should be around 80-90% of that.

Some things to check out:

What are your router's and PC's MTU set at? If the PC is set higher than the router you will see poorer speeds.

If you haven't got any other tool, Dr. TCP is about the best for checking/setting your PC's MTU.

I have my MTU set to 1478 on my PC and 1500 on the router and typically get speeds around 6000.
N/A

Thanks Elvin,

This is all most helpful. I will give all this a try tomorrow morning as I am off to run some lights at a local theatre now.

Don' t suppose you'd consider a job with PN Customer Service? They need you desperately.
N/A

Elvin,

I have now had a chance to try out the settings you suggested. Every day produces a new learning curve! I found the Dr. TCP link very helpful and followed the recommendations the test suggested plus the guidelines you mentioned. I found my router MTU wasn't set at 1500 which I thought was the norm and the PC MTU was just a touch higher than the router. I also changed the RWin setting to the minimum of the range suggested, crossed my fingers and rebooted.

The first Plusnet speedchecker reading was 5.1mbps up from around 3.6 and the ADSL.org speed checker has twice given me 6.2Mbps up from its usual 4.2

Speed will vary from time to time I know, but these are excellent results. Many thanks for your advice which did the trick and was very gratefully received.
Community Veteran

Great - glad to have helped.