cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

MaxDSL...a little confused...

N/A

Wasn't really too fussed about this whole max dsl thing, have been happy with my 1 meg connection for the past year but just noticed the FAQ, had a read through and thought i'd check on my exchange status all the same.

Now, i'm on 1MB, but the status says i should be able to get MaxDSL up to 512k...does this mean once i'm upgraded to MaxDSL, there's a chance i could end up with 512k speeds instead of my current 1MB speeds.

I had a good chat with the engineer when he came out to change the line over from ISDN to ADSL and he said I was just in the 1MB margin...but now i'm worried that once i'm "upgraded"...i'm gonna lose half my speed!

Can anyone clear things up for me?
20 REPLIES
lank111
Grafter

With the dslMAX service, the system will test your line over 10 days!
It will test it a number of speeds and then record each test!
After it will finalise the results & put your line @ the speed that best fits your line results!!

the 512k is a estimate!!!

if your line can handle 1meg, but the estimate said 51k, then it will prob b the same as now! no difference!

If you can get hold of some line stats, i can give you a more realistic but still crude guesstimate!

I'm on 2Mbit premier runing at 1Mbit (Thank's to my high attention) But the crude guesstimate is 4Meg (Thanks to my great SNR)

But realisticly! i will prob get 2 Mbits!

Dose anyone know the cost to get a line replaced?
i know mine is old n noisy!

Samknows - Hats off to BT - All but one of the 5277 exchanges they planned to upgrade to ADSL Max by today were completed successfully. This includes all of the "Green", "Amber" and even the "Red" classified exchanges. The single unlucky exchange was Sheffield. We do not yet know when this will go live.

It is worth noting though that there are still 155 ADSL enabled exchanges that will not yet be able to receive ADSL Max. This may be attributed to a number of different reasons, but the most common is likely to be that the exchange is part of an Exchange Activate scheme.
Unlucky plusnets locals!
Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

Is the line noisy for voice calls or does it mean that you can't dialup with an old modem at 28K? If so you are in luck - report it as a noisy line to 151 - but don't mention ADSL!

You could try doing a quiet line test from 17070 (option 2).
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£13/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
N/A

Any idea how I can get line stats, checked my modem details and there's nothing on the installed software Sad
Community Veteran

No details for your modem on Kitz's page here?
lank111
Grafter

yes it sometimes crackles, and sounds fuzzy!

jus doing a quite line test, goes on 4 a bit! 6 mins of ''quite line test, then says thank you and hangs up''

i only ever got 33kbps out of dial-up! (back in the days withbout BB)

Download stats
1152kbps
Att: 56.6
SNR: 19.0
282 errored seconds
2 loss of signal
134 CRC Errors

Upload stats
288kbps
Att 31.5
SNR 27
20 errored seconds
2 loss of signal
9 CRC Errors
N/A

No details for your modem on Kitz's page here?

My modem aint on there Sad

I have a Conexant Accessrunner...not that piece of **** that PN offer, he he!
lank111
Grafter

if its a small white usb modem, then it is the **** PN offers! get a router! its better
N/A

Nope, bought this one myself, have never had a problem with it, the 105 Voyager PN offers is a horrid piece of equipment!
N/A

I have a Conexant Accessrunner.!

This should work, hopefully:

Bring up the Access Runner ADSL Control Panel, then with it's window in focus click on ALT-P, a new window appears with lots of tabs. You need to look under the one labelled "Physical Layer Statistics" . to get the line stats.

Ray
N/A

Excellent, thanks mate!!

Stats as follows:

Noise Margin - +22.0 dB Up / Between +6.1 & +7.5 dB Down
Attenuation - +31.5dB Up / +62.4dB Down
N/A

You're just over the normally accepted limits for 1MB... Maxadsl will monitor how stable your connection is over ten days and set the speed accordingly. If your connection is currently stable at 1MB you should atleast retain that speed...
N/A

What about mine
attenuation db 62.5 local 31.5 remote
snr db 9 local 10 remote
N/A

Given the downstream ADSL attenuation is only .1 db more than the previous poster's I'll stick by my previous answer...
Community Veteran

yes it sometimes crackles, and sounds fuzzy!

jus doing a quite line test, goes on 4 a bit! 6 mins of ''quite line test, then says thank you and hangs up''

The quiet line test is used by the engineers to listen for the crackles with no dial tone or anything - it's what they will do if them come out after you report a fault.

I'd suggest you try reporting it as a voice fault. Is it worse in wet weather? If so make sure you tell them that.