cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

MaxDSL a good or bad idea?

N/A

I am a gamer and slightly worried that upon upgrading to MAXDSL interleaving could be turned on and as a result affect my pings, these are my current line details:

Upstream

SNR Margin 28.0
Line Attenuation 8.3

However I am changing my line this saturday to one which will also have a telephone on it where as this one currently doesn't. I live near the exchange but am confused at to wether it would be best for me to opt out of MaxDSL and stick with my current rock solid 2mb or go for MaxDSL with the possibility of 8mb.

Also as I currently have a move request in place to change my broadband from one line to the other (same address) will BT automatically install ADSLMax during this or not?
6 REPLIES
kitz
Rising Star

Can you post your Downstream Stats please. ?

Those are the ones that will be affected most by maxdsl.
N/A

Sorry I got that wrong, those stats "are" infact my Downstream:

Downstream:

SNR Margin: 28.0
Line attenuation: 8.3

Upstream:

SNR margin: 30
Line attenuation: 5.5
Lorian
Grafter

Can you see the exchange?
kitz
Rising Star

Those are very good stats and you "shouldnt have" any problems on maxdsl, and its also extremely unlikely that you will need interleaving to stablise the line.

They're fairly similar to my own

My stats pre-max were
SNR (dB): 30.5 27.0
Attn(dB): 7.0 7.0

Post max (different router)
Local Line Atten.: 9.5 dB
Remote Line Atten.: 7.0 dB

I synced at the full 8Mb from day 1 .. and havent had any disconnects or dropped connections. The only problem I did have was being stuck on the 2Mb profile for a while.
N/A

Nope can't see the exchange (No idea what I would be looking for mind). Although my exchange has been enabled for MaxDSL my Stable Rate Currently read 2000 when checked, aIs this normal?
kitz
Rising Star

>> my Stable Rate Currently read 2000 when checked, aIs this normal?

That figure is actually your Data Rate (data throughput), so on a 2Mb account it should show as 2000.

Theres a bit more info about maxdsl here
http://www.kitz.co.uk/adsl/maxdsl2.htm