cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

MaxDSL Upgrade schedule for PAYG users

Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

Left hand, can I introduce you to right hand; right hand this is left hand...

PAYG was "up to 8MB" from April 2005. From this April it is up to 24MB. We have been continually told over the last few months, including in the last Plusnet Newsletter that users on up to 4MB and up to 8MB would have priority. There has never (until this last week) been any suggestion that it would not include PAYG users. This has been argued back and forth all week.

I have sought absolute confirmation of this in a ticket and have been told unequivocally that PAYG will not have priority.

Fine, except I am in contact with another user who has also raised this via a ticket and has been given absolute confirmation that PAYG will have priority.

How can users be expected to know what's happening is Plusnet staff are utterly confused? There is such mess that we need an definitive statement on this matter from a very senior person within Plusnet - I would suggest it needs to come from at least Neil Armstrong.
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£13/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
29 REPLIES
N/A

cant wait for PN to answer this one
Alecto
Grafter

Nice to see a new topic for a change.
JonathanW
Grafter

This isn't something that I can obviously answer here and now, however I will make sure that its brought up internally for someone to answer on monday when the full team is available.
N/A

Elvin,

You raise some good fundamental points which need urgent official clarification. Quite frankly you get the impression that Plusnet is currently an utter shambles.

I have had a personal account since 2002 and have been on PAYG ADSL since Feb 2005 when the exchange enabled. I decided to change from PAYG to Premier Option 1 on 31/3/06 and immediately got the new split VMU (8-4 etc) and a Plustalk icon but that is it.
I also have a business account which was Netstart Up to 4Mb Annual. I contacted PN on 30/3/06 when I realised that the cost of this (£39.99+VAT/month) was more than PN Business Premier which would give me twice the webspace. (This was the motivation to change accounts as I was running close to 250Mb limit and needed 500Mb).

After several returns of ticket they first decided I would have to pay £15.99 and then subsequently decided there would be a regrade fee of £35.24 (+£15 admin for manual upgrade as the automatic procedure would not allow this option!) and the order would be placed on hold until 10/4/06 whilst they sought a BT regrade. I would also have to have a new Static IP address as the system could not cope with the retention of the old one.

Well the Contact us has shown the following since 6/4/06 with no further information.

"6/4/06 Generic Modify Transaction order has been accepted and BT is now processing it"

Quite frankly I have lost all confidence in PN to do anything either correctly or to schedule.

I await the next episode in what I forsee as a disaster waiting to happen!
Community Veteran

I had hoped an official response from Plusnet would have been given fairly urgently to this. The delay tends to confirm that they don't know what they are doing themselves.
Community Veteran

Re: MaxDSL Upgrade schedule for PAYG users

Fine, except I am in contact with another user who has also raised this via a ticket and has been given absolute confirmation that PAYG will have priority.

And this morning James Bailey replies to a ticket and says the information from support staff over the weekend is not correct. :x

SW.
--
3Mb FTTC
https://portal.plus.net/my.html?action=data_transfer_speed
N/A

What's also interesting on this topic is that for the last 6 months we have been (as PayG customers) bombarded with marketing e-mail promising that our lines will be converted 'As soon as your line has been upgraded' which for most of us was over a week ago.
Does this now not fall under the ASA's guidance as I'm sure that it is a breach of their advertising guidelines - I quote;
"The Advertising Standards Authority's responsbilities include ensuring that non-broadcast advertisements, sales promotions and direct marketing in new media meet the British Code of Advertising, Sales Promotion and Direct Marketing (the Code). These rules state that all marketing communications should be legal, decent, honest and truthful regardless of whether they appear in traditional media, such as a newspaper or a magazine, or in new media, such as an SMS text message or banner ad."
http://www.asa.org.uk/asa/about/Guided+Tours/New+media/

So, as such, the e-mails that have been sent out over the last few months do breach the ASA's guidelines as they are misleading - no matter whether it is in PlusNet's control or not, they have made false promises that they actually didn't know that they could keep.

From my perspective I have been a flag-bearer for PlusNet and have recommended at least 20 people to use their service. However, I feel rather embarassed that I have done now as they seem to let their customers down.

Plusnet - over to you for an honest response please before I hand it over to the ASA...
Ianwild
Grafter

I'm not sure what I can say to that - if you feel an ASA complaint is the way to go then so be it, but I can't discuss that more here I'm afraid. We are doing a free upgrade for all customers - How anyone manages to turn that into bad news I don't know, but it will happen for everyone as soon as we can make it happen!

I think you ackowledge there that we haven't deliberately mislead anyone. We are trying to be as fair to everyone as possible as we go to upgrade all of our customers to Max. Had BT kept in line with the original understandings they gave us of how the ordering process would work, we woulden't be having this conversation now. Things changed though and we had to respond to that...

Right now we are focussing on getting as many upgrades as possible through. We had 6500 orders accepted last week alone, and we are hoping to get more this week, but we are at the mercy of BTs ordering system, and of the amount of orders other ISPs are placing.

In terms of PAYG, I can discuss more with the people responsible for prioritising the orders as to how we can best serve all customers and best meet the expectations we have set, but in my personal opinion, customers who pay more for their service should get their orders placed before the customers using the £14.99 basic products.

Regards,

Ian
Community Veteran

I just don't get why Plusnet don't think it's appropriate to pvovide the updates in the order that the promises were made.

PAYG users were told they would get faster speeds months before Premier 2MB users.

All they've acheived with this is to create another set of users who, when Plusnet announce something new will post "Oh yeah - believe it when I see it". I would also guess it's another group more people who will not be recommending Plusnet to others.
N/A

It can be turned into bad news when the upgrades are repeatedly miscommunicated to customers.
There are people who have been paying for fastwer speeds for a year who have not recieved them, there are people being told there are priority systems in place but the actual priorities vary depending on which member of PlusNet's staff is spoken to, there are people recieving upgrades apparently in contradiction to comments both here and in tickets. Are PlusNet going to give a real solid, final and binding reply to the question of the schedules (for all customers not just PAYG ones) so all customers know where they stand, or will the confusion continue?
Community Veteran

In terms of PAYG, I can discuss more with the people responsible for prioritising the orders as to how we can best serve all customers and best meet the expectations we have set, but in my personal opinion, customers who pay more for their service should get their orders placed before the customers using the £14.99 basic products.

Those customers may pay more per month, but they may depending on usage patterns, also cost you much more per month in operating expenses (i.e. your bill from BTw).

As you say, it is the expectation setting that is the real failure in all of this as described in http://portal.plus.net/central/forums/viewtopic.php?t=40776.

SW.
--
3Mb FTTC
https://portal.plus.net/my.html?action=data_transfer_speed
aeroalfie
Grafter

"but in my personal opinion, customers who pay more for their service should get their orders placed before the customers using the £14.99 basic products"

I know you said that this is ‘your personal opinion’ Ian but this has been echoed now a couple of times by PN employees, I’m starting to think its maybe PN unofficial opinion to - I guess we will find out soon enough!

You know, I’m sat here wondering just why I’m paying so much more ££ per GB than the other account types - what is it exactly I am getting for the premium I pay. :?
Alecto
Grafter

Just thought I'd like to say how welcome it is to see a thread on a new topic showing views that I haven't heard a thousand times already. Tongue
Community Veteran

If you read the first post you'd see why it was re-opened - PN staff disagreeing with each other.

Just to throw in a different angle:

To those who say that people paying £14.99 for PAYG shouldn't get priority over Premier users paying £21.99, why are you not whinging that BB+ users should be behind all Premier users?