cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

MaxDSL Speed issues

N/A

MaxDSL Speed issues

can somebody take a look at these figures and tell me if they are good, stable rate as per PlusNet is 7500 yet regardless of how many reboots of the router I can never get a download speed of above 6.3Mbs (it is fast I know but not the full lot :lolSmiley however the 6.3Mbs does soon drop after a reboot of the router back down to 4.5Mbs -> 5Mbs, this is both at night and during the day

I did raise a ticket but was told to reboot the router a few times which I have done and still no progress in speed so wanted to air it before I send the ticket back to them (for those in the know it's ID is 20203962)

DSL Status
DSL Status: Up
DSL Modulation Mode: GDMT
DSL Path Mode: FAST
Downstream Rate: 8128 Kbps
Upstream Rate: 448 Kbps
Downstream Margin: 15 db
Upstream Margin: 29 db
Downstream Line Attenuation: 11
Upstream Line Attenuation: 5
Downstream Transmit Power: 0
Upstream Transmit Power: 0
5 REPLIES
StuWard
Grafter

MaxDSL Speed issues

I'd be chuffed to bits just to get max

Currently at 1.1 meg !
timps
Grafter

MaxDSL Speed issues

WOW do you live next door to the exchange or do you live in it ?

timps
N/A

MaxDSL Speed issues

I live about 2mins walk away from it, demolish a few houses and I could see it from the house

PS I was more interested in the SNR values but I guess from the responses that this is a 'good' line :shock: which goes against the speed rises and drops after a router reboot :?
N/A

MaxDSL Speed issues

Well an SNR of anything over 6 should be fine.

An actual MARGIN of 15dB would indicate youre 15 over the limit so the SNR would be about 20ish.
With Line Attenuation of 11.

... thats a good line. Cheesy
Alecto
Grafter

MaxDSL Speed issues

@smpclough re original question

Your stable rate is what counts, not your sync rate.
This is supplied to Plusnet by BT depending on how it thinks your line is doing. Rebooting your router often can be taken sometimes as the line dropping, and it will reduce your rate accordingly.
A stable rate of 7.5 is not bad!!! I can't remember if that is the highest one, or if it does go to 8 - no doubt someone will tell me.

But in any case, you will never achieve the theoretical max speed, either because of the vagaries of speedtests (read about them on the forums), overheads, or other factors that get in the way between your computer and whoever you are downloading from.
I suspect that the speeds you are getting (and they will go up and down as line conditions, congestion and other factors change) are about what you can expect to get from an 8Mb line.

It has been suggested that ISPs be prosecuted for advertising the unattainable, but the Advertising Standards Authority has said it's OK because of the UP TO words in the adverts. And no doubt they've been handed a sizeable bung by the confederation of ISPs. :lol: