cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

MaxDSL/High Ping Time/Options

N/A

Well first of all I would like to say that i was not impressed by the automated phone service telling me to do the fault checker and then hanging up on me. I phoned to talk to someone and it tells me to do a fault chekcer, which I have already done which told me nothing could be done because my speed times were fine. /rantoff

Anyway, ever since i got maxdsl i was getting disconnected 3 to4 times a day. My down stream margin would shoot up from its normal 5 db to 29879890db ( i kid you not) and i'd have to reboot my router. But last night i powered down my router for 1 hour and since then had no issues, so fingers crossed.

But what i cannot effect is now i cannot get a ping lower than 50ms, I'm a gamer and this is not acceptable, so I thought i'd downgrade to my old 2meg package. 2meg is stable for me and my ping times were great so why not.

But plusnet now offer no broadband packages except maxdsl. So what are my options? If i request interleaving off can i ask them to limit my speed manually, can i make sure it does not retrain? I'm not sure about interleaving as i've only just got stability?

Any advice would be appreciated. very tempted to go to another provider that offers 2meg packages.
7 REPLIES
Community Veteran

Re: MaxDSL/High Ping Time/Options

If i request interleaving off can i ask them to limit my speed manually, can i make sure it does not retrain? I'm not sure about interleaving as i've only just got stability?

It is the interleaving that causes increased latency.

So you need to be OK with having a lower sync speed and increased SNR target, maybe 9dB with interleaving turned off. PN can get BT to do this if you get the right person answering your question.

SW.
--
3Mb FTTC
https://portal.plus.net/my.html?action=data_transfer_speed
N/A

Dude getting interleaving off might be a bad idea, maxDSL does not work to good with out it unless your line is good, my line aint worth a dam and i asked for interleaving off because i too didn't like the 60 ping to servers.

But having it off has been a nightmare and nothing plusnet said that it would be and not to this extreme in the past 2 months have had to put up with atleast two separate occasions of three days of 12k download speeds. 144 hours.

Now am stuck on 50k download speeds for the past 5 days.

I dont think plusnet knew either what would happen nor did i for i did not expect my ping to increase to 60+ does anyone think that is fair?

So i ask for interleaving off like you are now doing but if your told that you will have a slower sync speed and drops in connection how do you know what that really means if all you get is "BT have it on for a reason" yeah BUT people might have issues with that.

So the question is why does having interleaving off give low sync speeds from time to time.
Community Veteran

So the question is why does having interleaving off give low sync speeds from time to time.

Do you really mean low sync speeds or do you mean low speed data transfer at times when your line sync speed has apparently stayed the same?

SW.
--
3Mb FTTC
N/A

low sync speeds it would just be a one off that would set the bras profile to a silly level of say 160k leading to 12k download speeds and then having to wait three days.
Community Veteran

My understanding is interleaving has zero affect on the sync speed, the channel analysis used to decide what channels can be used that are within the 6dB SNR limit has nothing to do with interleaving.

So whatever effects you are seeing on sync speed are coincidental to you interleaving being turned off if that is what you have done.

SW.
--
3Mb FTTC
N/A

well interleaving is comming off on thursday.

I'll update you.
N/A

Any more news on this subject as I too am having exactly this problem. My minimum ping however is not quite as bad as I can get as low as about 45, but Its kind of aggrivating as I used to able to get less than 20 Cry