cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

MaxDSL FAQ

David_W
Rising Star

MaxDSL FAQ

Seems to be a lot of information spread about here and there, so figured I'd make a quick Q&A whilst FFXI updates Shockedops:

What is MaxDSL

In basic terms, your connection is going to be moved to a new system where you can upgrade to the maximum your exchange can handle at no cost

So its totally free?

No, you will have to pay a fee if you downgrade your service (see later)

How much will the service cost?

The service pricing is changing to a consumption based structure, instead of paying different prices for 512k, 1MB, 2MB etc.. you will pay for how much bandwith you think you will consume on average per month. The figures are:

Broadband Premier Fair Usage Total “Fair Usage” Achievable
Product On Peak Levels Inc Off Peak (based on 2Mb)
£21.99 30GB 230GB
£29.99 50GB 250GB
£39.99 75GB 275GB
£49.99 100GB 300GB
£59.99 125GB 325GB

On peak, Off peak?

Peak rate is between the hours of 8am and 1am, off peak is between 1am and 8am.

Is that upload and download speed?

No, just Download speeds are monitors

Even for PAYG lite?

Fraid not

So whats this *downgrade* thing?

If you look at your current monthly play, say the 1MB, its £29.99pm, you use the MaxDSL but your usual bandwith per month is about 5GB, so you choose to use the 30GB price plan, thats a downgrade. Any change where the price goes down, is a downgrade

This for home or business

Both!

How about the old ADSL Home plan?

Yep

Easystart?

Indeed it will!

How fast will I be able to go?

That is dependant on your exchange, http://www.bt.com/broadband should give you a rough indicator

How many times can I change my bandwith plan?

As many times as you want, if you want to increase your bandwith plan, there is no cost, if you reduce it, you will be charged an admin fee

This bandwith usage thing, is it a cap?

No, there is no cap, its a fair usage "guide" and you are allowed to go over your fair usage allowance now and then, but if your constantly going over it, you might want to consider upgrading to a plan with more bandwith allowance

How much allowance will I need?

If you look at the View My Usage and your average monthly totals, work a rough average, then add 25% to that, the 25% is because with a faster connection, you wont be spending so much time downloading 1 file, so might download more stuff, but its upto you really.

Ok, so your saying I can have an 8MB connection for the same price as a 512k connection?

No, I'm not saying it, Force9 are saying it Smiley

How will i be able to upgrade my speed?

After April there will be an option in the Portal to upgrade

Is the Upload speed going to be changed too?

Speculation!! Maybe, maybe not, wait and see I guess

I'm on dslConnect, can I join the fun?

Only if you change to an ADSL account, dslConnect uses Datastream not IPStream, sorry

==

Think thats about it, I've probably missed lots and probably got 90% of it wrong heh, but it putes lots of questions and answers in 1 place, hope it helps people Smiley
23 REPLIES
N/A

MaxDSL FAQ

i thought the current changes were for home connections only and not business
N/A

Whos affected by the changes

Hi bookofshadows,

Nop! dont forget that its BT that are driving these changes because its bring in a new connection tecnhology i.e. MaxDSL the next generation of broadband. As a result of the major BT network upgrades over the next 6mths everyone on BT's network are also affected including ISP's hence ALL users will potentially gain. So Yes! this affects both home (SOHO) teleworkers & full on business users too.

**As I understand it

Ivan
Plusnet Staff
Plusnet Staff
Fixes: 1

MaxDSL FAQ

Hi,

Just to clarify for you. Fair usage will initially be implemented on residential accounts only. We have just started consulting on what to do as regards Teleworker/Homeworker accounts with fair usage.

At present there are no plans for fair usage on business accounts.

Regarding MaxDSL, again this will be rolled out to all accounts, however we are currently putting together exactly what will happen with business accounts. We had anticipated putting this information out last week but we need to do a bit of fine tuning first. So whilst I can say MaxDSL will come to business accounts I can't say any more yet because the product team are still deciding on exactly how this will work and be implemented in practise.
N/A

MaxDSL FAQ

I have a few added comments/questions.
Firstly I wish to know, when we are upgraded to the max speed our line can handle. Is this speed going to be the max speed the line can handle e.g. atm i have 2272kbps download exactly(current 2mbit account), now with this upgrade say the next speed up is 3000kbps download or whatever, or does it work by upgrading me to whatever the line can handle e.g. 2500kbps? I would really like to know this and also what sort of accuracy upgrade it will be, will it be to the nearest kb? or will there just be many more speeds that force9 can set themselves?
Also may i just add if you are upgrading the upload speed (even if its only by 10kbps) i can tell you now you will gain many more customers. As you would be offering something many ISP's do not and something which alot of users disire, me included.
Plusnet Staff
Plusnet Staff

MaxDSL FAQ

Hi,

The sync speeds will likely just be 512kbps, 1, 2, 4 and 8Mbps. There won't be speeds in between unless they are specifically offered by BT Wholesale. Although we will be offer different speeds at which you can connect at, so for example if your line syncs at 4Mbps we could offer a 3Mbps speed.

Under MaxDSL your line is upgraded to the highest speed it can sync at, and you then control the speed you connect at via our web portal.

If the line can't support a particular speed, e.g. it's upgraded to 2Mbps, but you find it drops out a lot or doesn't sync at all then it will be dropped down a speed.
N/A

MaxDSL FAQ

Will the customer have some say as to what speed we can recieve? as i know that when i first tried to get 1 mbit broadband i was refused being told that i was to far from the exchange. This is despite the fact i knew my line was capable of the speeds. Recently i was lucky enough to be upgraded to 2mbit and i can still tell that i can take a higher speed. When i start a download the speed it first starts out at is the speed of the line.
Im lucky as even though i live on the edge of the distance we where originally told may not be able to recive 512k broadband, we can actually recieve in excess of 2mbit as the line is so quite.
N/A

MaxDSL FAQ

Hi,

The sync speeds will likely just be 512kbps, 1, 2, 4 and 8Mbps. There won't be speeds in between unless they are specifically offered by BT Wholesale. Although we will be offer different speeds at which you can connect at, so for example if your line syncs at 4Mbps we could offer a 3Mbps speed.

Under MaxDSL your line is upgraded to the highest speed it can sync at, and you then control the speed you connect at via our web portal.

If the line can't support a particular speed, e.g. it's upgraded to 2Mbps, but you find it drops out a lot or doesn't sync at all then it will be dropped down a speed.

Is there any plans to increase upload speed? or none that you know of?
N/A

MaxDSL FAQ

Never mind BT upgrading exchanges, they should also look at upgrading the cabling as well.

I know it's costly but surely if they started slowly upgrading the cabling, even using fibre-optic then they should have no problem in supplying even higher bandwidth than 8mb, as most if not all exchanges are already linked by fibre.

I also remember when I first tried to get adsl I was told I would never get it. Even now BT are still saying that I and my neighbours shouldn't have it as we too far away from exchange (i'm about 5.1km away via cable route). Yet I'm on a 1mb connection without problems, and can download at speeds of 120k.

Currently their checkers say the following

Our initial test on your line indicates that you may be able to have an ADSL broadband service that provides 1Mbps, 512Kbps or 256Kbps download speed. However due to the length of your line the 1Mbps service may require an engineer visit who will, where possible, supply the broadband service

So I am keeping my fingers crossed.
N/A

MaxDSL FAQ

Says the same thing for me and i have 2mbit....lol
Plusnet Staff
Plusnet Staff

MaxDSL FAQ

The max speed you can sync at will be determined by a number of things, including a line test to see what the line loss figures are. Although we will have to wait and see really to see what will happen in a live environment.

Upload speeds are likely increase with the 4 and 8Mbps services, I've heard talk of up to 1Mbps, but can't confirm anything yet.

Regarding the network upgrades, BT are currently undertaking a project to upgrade the backhaul from all the exchanges so that contention exchange side will be eliminated, and move the voice side to be IP based.

As far as the copper lines between customers and exchange is concerned on the technology horizon is VDSL which will allow BT to install the DSLAMS at the green cabinets at the bottom of your road and run fibre to the cab. This then makes the copper wire very very short in almost all cases allowing speeds much faster than 8Mbps, even up to 50Mbps and more. How long before we see this I don't know, but the technology is coming.
N/A

MaxDSL FAQ

I need you to upgrade my line to 4 mbit then lol, don't care if it drops out alot.
N/A

VDSL time scale

Hi,

Personally I recon that for the introduction of VDSL you will be looking at a time scale of a few years. This is a major undertaking even for a large company like BT.

Ivan
Plusnet Staff
Plusnet Staff

MaxDSL FAQ

Yep, VDSL is probably a few years away from any kind of rollout and would likely be a huge undertaking as you say. But we can always dream can't we... Cheesy
N/A

MaxDSL FAQ

If I remember back in the mid 90' BT were going on about fibre optic lines for video streaming and movies on demand.

If they had started upgrading then, they wouldn't have the mass consumers leaving them to go with cable companies. As I'm only with BT as there's no cable in my area, if there was I would never had gone back with them.

The only trouble with having cable though is that you're stuck with them to supply your broadband connection. This should be opened up, as it is with BT, as it doesn't give the consumer the right to choose. I wonder if a case could be taken against them by ISP's joining together and doing something about it. Remember Microsoft has had to change parts of Windows because of lawsuits taken out against them.

So why can't this be done with the cable companies?