cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

MaxDSL - Drip Feeding ?

N/A

MaxDSL - Drip Feeding ?

Hey all - looking for some advice re connection speeds.

I've been a plus.net customer for a while now, on the 2mb premier package (lord knows what its called now though !!).

Situation is, I've just got myself a new HDTV and XB360 - so I'm obviously downloading some HD contents to show of my spanky new kit. But 2mb is just plain useless for this (files sometimes 2gb +).

I heard of the planned 'free' upgrades to 8mb package and I've been waiting for months for this to happen. I contacted plus.net support back on the 14th April asking when I can expect to see the upgrade completed. Basically, the question was bumped and I was told to 'wait' in line as it should happen on my next billing date (28/04/06).

This was not to be.

So - on contacting support again, they sent me a link to the Q Jump page - then promptly told me I could register, but due to a 'BT fault' it wouldn't be actioned anyway until next month.

Why not tell me about the Q Jump process on my initial contact back at the start of April ? Perhaps I would have been upgraded by now - although perhaps that would have been a bad thing considering the amount of problems with the new service.

So - I've been hanging on for ages, my buddy next door got a regrade back at the start of May and is all happy...why not me ? boo hoo.

Has anyone out there jumped ship to another supplier because of similar delays ? If so - who did you choose ?

Any recommendations for alternative providers who are good with DL limits and speeds ?

Any advice much appreciated !
10 REPLIES
N/A

MaxDSL - Drip Feeding ?

Have you read *any* of the other threads on this forum?

MAXdls for many is a nightmare, you're better of on your stable 2mb for now.

Have a read around, if your connection perfroms like many you'd only get higher speed off peak and during peak hurs your connection may perform worse.

2GB+ isn't that much of a hassle on 2MB, it'd be worse at 1Mbps or less which many are seeing.
Community Veteran

Re: MaxDSL - Drip Feeding ?

Why not tell me about the Q Jump process on my initial contact back at the start of April ?

Because the queue jump process was not in place then.

Chilly
N/A

MaxDSL - Drip Feeding ?

Oh yeah - I've read plenty posts on the MAXDSL subject, but that wasnt really the crux of the post..

My main question was

"Has anyone out there jumped ship to another supplier because of similar delays ? If so - who did you choose ?

Any recommendations for alternative providers who are good with DL limits and speeds ?"

2gb files on 2mb is far from no hassle - 5 days to download that much ? Average DL speeds of 2Kb/sec ? - thats horrendous is it not. Of course I know i'm limited by the availability of said file, however others I know who are grabbing the same stuff are getting speeds of 150Kb/sec +
N/A

Re: MaxDSL - Drip Feeding ?

Why not tell me about the Q Jump process on my initial contact back at the start of April ?

Because the queue jump process was not in place then.

Chilly

thanks for that - didnt know that....
N/A

MaxDSL - Drip Feeding ?

Ok then the question you need to be asking is not what you asked in your initial post but "why am I getting poor speeds on 2MB"

What plusnet product are you on? How much have you downloaded in peak hours this month?

If everything is setup right at your end then you should never see speeds as low as that. (presuming you've not breached any limits)

What method are you using to download?

I'm on 1MB here and can pull down 2GB from whatever source at around 100kbps.
N/A

MaxDSL - Drip Feeding ?

QJ became available 21st April - however not all have received the upgrade as yet - even the ones who applied 1st afternoon...
N/A

MaxDSL - Drip Feeding ?

Thanks for that - To be honest, If i can get the speed issues sorted out then i'd stay with Plus, it's just that i've had these problems for weeks now and just thought i'd cut my loses and move..

In answer to your questions - I was on the 2mb Premier package, although i understand this has been renamed since my last billing date.

My current usage is

Peak - 377.46MB
Off Peak - 35.44MB
aeroalfie
Grafter

MaxDSL - Drip Feeding ?

2KB a second is that off xbox live market place or what ever its called - or P2P / file sharing?

"Has anyone out there jumped ship to another supplier because of similar delays ? If so - who did you choose ?

Any recommendations for alternative providers who are good with DL limits and speeds ?"

Not to sound like a broken record but - this is PN community support forum - if you want ISP reviews best to post in internet or general chat area or better still check out ADSL guide where you can do comparisson between different ISP's.
N/A

MaxDSL - Drip Feeding ?

my traffic is probably about 70% normal stuff (email, browsing, downloading) with the t'other 30% being P2P....

I'm well used to horrific P2P speeds (0.6kBps av.) - it was'nt like that when i joined up in Nov last year, was regularly getting about 70-100kBps.

Just in general terms though, it's really rough at the moment.
N/A

MaxDSL - Drip Feeding ?

I forgot the 'speed test' even existed...

I think this shows what i'm getting at.

23-05-2006 23:24:40 443.7
23-05-2006 23:24:10 0
23-05-2006 23:23:51 420.6
01-04-2006 01:50:25 1161.6
28-01-2006 13:17:28 1932.2
01-11-2005 23:23:23 1787.9
01-11-2005 23:22:59 1272.9
25-09-2005 22:11:10 1932.2
14-09-2005 19:17:25 1911.7
14-09-2005 19:16:54 1930
14-09-2005 19:16:33 0