cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Max upgrade

N/A

Max upgrade

Just a quick question, I've been maxed today and are seeing extreeeeeeeeeemly frequent disconnections had a look at my line stats and ive got

it keeps jumping from

ADSL Link Downstream Upstream
Connection Speed 4512 kbps 448 kbps
Line Attenuation 53 db 15.5 db
Noise Margin 3 db 18

To this

ADSL Link Downstream Upstream
Connection Speed 4448 kbps 448 kbps
Line Attenuation 53 db 15.5 db
Noise Margin 2147483645 db 18 db

and back again

Is the margin a little high,
4 REPLIES
Alecto
Grafter

Max upgrade

That figure for the noise margin just means that it has gone so small as not to be measurable. Your line then may resync at a lower speed with a proper margin.
I get it sometimes in the evening, though the router usually stays connected.
N/A

Max upgrade

Asking for your Target SNR to be increased should reduce the number of disconnections as 3dB seems very low.
N/A

Max upgrade

In theory MaxDSL attempts to maintain an SNR of 6db, so yours should automatically reduce the speed of your connection over the next few days to increase stability.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 1

Max upgrade

I have had this, but my SNR margin is consistently around 3-5dB. My sync spped appears to be stable at around 5500-6800, with generally reliable download speeds of around 3.5-4.5Mb, depending upon time of day/exchange contension. I have had intermittantly good syncs, but poor downloads, but after rebooting the router, everything goes OK, wonder if connected to a congested gateway. My router is a netgear DG834G V2. Some routers appear better at hanging onto low lines than others. Can I ask is SNR margin different to SNR. I would presume the SNR margin is the amount of extra signal you have over and above the target SNR, as sometimes my Target SNR is 0dB, but still get good throughout and no loss of sync. My line attn is 46dB, distance from exchange 2.75KM ( this is actual line length, not as the crow flies. I asked a BT engineer who was fixing a voice problem on my line)