cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Max dsl helllllpp

fatdeeman
Grafter

Max dsl helllllpp

I just transferred my connection last month and it started off fine, syncing at 2.5 mbit or higher and download speeds between 1500 and 2000, haven't once lost sync or been disconnected until this morning, alough the download speeds were generally a bit slower than at my old house the connection was still rock solid and nippy enough for me.

I got up this morning to find my sync speed was at 1740 and falling and I cannot stay connected for more than about 30 seconds. The connection was fine until now but it has suddenly become useless.

The only thing I can think of is that max dsl has been enabled hence my sync speed falling in an attempt to get a stable connection.

When I actually am connected the speed is so low I can't even run a speed test before the next connection drop, it's worse than dialup speeds by far.

Is there any way I can find out if I have been put on max dsl?

I did send a ticket to support asking to be opted out again but it was deleted with no response.

Can I ask plusnet staff that if I am now on max dsl to please put me back to my previous status becaue my connection is completely useless (I'm round a friends house typing this, I can't even navigate a website)

I would just like the stable connection I had back please, this is no upgrade as I am obviously too far from the exchange, my noise margin is only 6-7 db which is why i asked to opt out but it seems to have been ignored.

I don't want to send another ticket just for it to be ignored.

Can someone please offer some advice?

The house move was stressful enough and I was just getting relaxed again and not having to stress over my internet connection.
23 REPLIES
Community Veteran

Max dsl helllllpp

Going by what you are saying then it sounds like you were already on MaxDSL (having a sync speed of 2.5mb)

It sounds like either BT have been doing work on your exchange or on the green box near by (unusal for a sunday)

Theres been some change in your wiring which has caused it to do this

It could also be caused by the weather, if you've been affected by the lightning and torrential rain affecting most of the UK then this can cause a big drop in connection quality.

I would suggest if you can then plug your modem/router into your master socket and see what results you get, if you can't or the stats are just as bad then i'd suggest going through the broadband fault tool.

Regards
fatdeeman
Grafter

Max dsl helllllpp

Thanks for the advice

Quickly ran back down the road to my house, tried the master socket, no difference.

Sync is now going up and down between 1700 and 1850 roughly and the connection is still useless, I still can't run a speed test because I can't stay connected for long enough, the weather hasn't changed all week, it's been warm and dry.

Maybe you are right about me already being on max dsl, I was hoping the connection speed might creep up because the sync was staying in the 2.5+ region but now it has just fallen flat on it's face.

I'm not sure what to do now.

The fault checker says the initial checks found no fault.

Maybe it's just a case of waiting for it to clear up by itself.
fatdeeman
Grafter

Max dsl helllllpp

I tried a usb moden and it will work but only syncs at 1.4 mbit and gives really poor speeds

Date Speed Achieved (kbps)
02-07-2006 14:56:02 213.7
02-07-2006 14:55:33 284.3

The router was working fine untill today and i tried it round the neighbours house and it workd fine with their connection, I tried the usb one on thier connection too and it synced lower than the router on thier line too but both worked fine.

There's nothing wrong with my gear im sure and in any case the usb modem and the router were both syncing at much higher speeds up until now.

I've been getting consistant albeit not amazing speeds since the house move and until this morning, all these tests were made using the router, i was getting similar speeds before with the usb modem.

30-06-2006 07:43:50 1359.5
30-06-2006 07:43:30 1438.4
30-06-2006 07:43:12 1382.9
29-06-2006 23:47:10 1380
28-06-2006 11:59:43 1392
27-06-2006 17:18:21 1358
27-06-2006 14:48:46 1363.9
27-06-2006 14:48:21 1415.9
27-06-2006 14:47:58 1388.7
26-06-2006 10:07:45 1376.7
26-06-2006 02:27:37 1189.5
26-06-2006 02:16:22 1344.5

I was so relieved and happy that it was working that i didnt care that it wasn't as fast as I was used to.

I don't know what im supposed to do, it seems now that the line has been max dsl enabled since it was activated last month. The msr has gone down from 2mbit to 1.5 but I don't know if that means anything.

It just stresses me out knowing it was working fine for over a week and then it just goes belly up overnight with no reason.

I hate problems you cant directly fix yourself.
Community Veteran

Max dsl helllllpp

It is weird that it happened overnight and assuming that your neighbour lives in the same street as you then they will be on the same exchange and probably the same green box, which pretty much rules out anything before your house.

Having said that it can't be ruled out completly!

Have you tried new filters? It is still possible that you have now been "Maxed" which can be badly affected by dodgy filters, if possible can you try your neighbours filets and see if this makes any difference?
Community Veteran

Max dsl helllllpp

... i tried it round the neighbours house and it workd fine with their connection, I tried the usb one on thier connection too and it synced lower than the router on thier line too but both worked fine.

Is your neighbour on MaxDSL too ?

SW.
--
3Mb FTTC
https://portal.plus.net/my.html?action=data_transfer_speed
fatdeeman
Grafter

Max dsl helllllpp

Not as far as I know, just normal adsl, they connect at about 1.5mbit and get appropriate download speeds.

It's weird because the router has been working perfectly untill now, it's only about 12 days old.

It was literally fine when I went to sleep at about 1:30am and when I get up at about 10 it was cutting out constantly and the synch speed has dropped by about 1 mbit. the usb modem is acting the same way except it syncs a bit lower 1.4 vs the routers 1.7-+ and browsing is actually possible to a limited degree because the cut outs arent as often. but it's still not practicle to use. even on the usb it wont stay connected fo more than a few minutes.
fatdeeman
Grafter

Max dsl helllllpp

It is weird that it happened overnight and assuming that your neighbour lives in the same street as you then they will be on the same exchange and probably the same green box, which pretty much rules out anything before your house.

Having said that it can't be ruled out completly!

Have you tried new filters? It is still possible that you have now been "Maxed" which can be badly affected by dodgy filters, if possible can you try your neighbours filets and see if this makes any difference?

I have plenty of filters around the place and none seem to make a difference, the one I'm using is almost brand new, came with the router.

And like you said, if I was syncing at 2.5 mbit plus since i got the line moved then i must be on max dsl already.

I just don't understand.

there are plenty of people in my street who are having no problems.

Next door are having no trouble, they let me have thier wep key so im using their wireless for now.

It's really strange, it hasn't been raining or windy, the equipment hasn't changed at all, it has literally gone tits up overnight.
fatdeeman
Grafter

Max dsl helllllpp

I have no clue, the router is just going on off on off on off (as in connecting and disconnecting)

If I plug the usb modem in it's a little more useable but basicaly does the same thing only a bit less frequently.

I also don't understand why the sync is so much higher than the speed im getting.

I'm so confused, and it was all going so well.

some people are complaining about having 3 megabit connections and I was happy with half that.

Now I have something that that shows a speed test of 200kbs but is performing slower than dialup even though im syncing at much higher rates.

I don't understand how so much can change so quickly.
Community Veteran

Max dsl helllllpp

It does sound like its one of the following:

The hardware between you and your exchange (the hardware in your green box in your street, and the hardware your connected to in the exchange) has been worked on overnight and this is causing it.

Somehow the wiring either in your house or again between you and your green box has been damaged.

Assuming your having no problems with the voice side of your line then it narrows itdown to a hardware fault unless I can find some other explanation, unfortunatly for you if its a broadband only fault you have to go thru the standard fault procedure with PN who will do a series of tests with you.

One more thing I just want to confirm when you say you had a sync sped of 2.5mb do you mean it was 2272kbps or higher?
fatdeeman
Grafter

Max dsl helllllpp

Yes to put it very crudely I was syncing between about 2400 and 2800kbs with the router.

The first day the connection was active I used my old usb modem and was syncing between 2000 and about 2300kbs, the next day the router turned up from ebuyer and I started getting slightly higher sync speeds but with either device my actual connection speed was the same, running between about 1300 and 1700 according to plusnet speed tests and there was no pattern of it going up or down, I could do two tests in a row and get two different results. they varied a little but were consistanly 1300 or above and I didn't lose sync or connection once until today.

It wasn't as fast as at my old house but I was pleased enough because it was at least stable and could only go up with the speed upgrades or so I thought.

I had a similar problem in my old house before maxdsl came along and couldnt stay connected for over a week but it cleared itself up so I'm hopeful that will be the case here but it's a bit worrying for it to happen and there not be any mention of it on the service status page.

I have a raised a ticket and followed all the steps.

I also checked to see if there was noise on the phone line which there wasn't.

Like I said I tried the usb modem again and got the same effect alough the disconnects were less frequent but I put this down to the fact that the usb modem tends to sync at a lower speed anyway, the connection was a bit more stable (but far from useable) and the practice of actually using the internet was just as useless as with the router, basically it was the same case but with slightly longer gaps between the disconnects.

I also tried my router, usb modem and filter with the neighbours connection and they all worked fine, the router synced slightly higher than the usb modem which I expected but with both the actual speed was the same, they both downloaded at about 1.1mbit which is normal for thier connection and the same speed they achieve with thier own router.

I guess I'll just have to see what plusnet say and in the meantime hope the problem goes away by itself.

thanks for your advice.
fatdeeman
Grafter

Max dsl helllllpp

I just got this reply to my ticket:

Broadband Fault Checker - Connection checks [ Completed ]

The Connection checks have now completed

Test result summary: Fail
We have completed testing of your broadband service. The results indicate that the fault may be caused by a problem with our systems. More information may be available on our Service Status page.Please check Service Status.If there is no service-wide problem reported on Service Status, we will provide an update when we have more information.

But I get the feeling it doesn't really clear things up much?
fatdeeman
Grafter

Max dsl helllllpp

And does this mean I can now turn my routers firewall back on?
Community Veteran

Max dsl helllllpp

This is a default message that everyone is receiving right now. You can and should keep your firewall on, the system can still test your connection.
fatdeeman
Grafter

Max dsl helllllpp

ello ello ello

sync is back up again:

Connection Status Connected
Us Rate (Kbps) 448
Ds Rate (Kbps) 2816
US Margin 17
DS Margin 6

Speed tests:

938.80kbps