cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Max Upgrade

jabns2
Grafter

Max Upgrade

My account recently got upgraded to MAXdsl IPstreame. this happened before my account was switched to an upto 8 meg one(Bussiness Premier Up to 8MB). During this time of being on MaxDsl in BTs eyes but not on a 8MB account with force9 (I was on upto 4mb) i restarted my modem at least 5 times as i had to change some settings that required me to flash the modem and restart it. When my account on force9 got upgraded my line speed has stayed the at the same speed (4MB). It has now been many days since my upgraded on force9 and my speed is still the same is this a issue with my line or with the fact the i restarted my modem (5+ times) before Up to 8MB account was active.
7 REPLIES
Plusnet Staff
Plusnet Staff
Fixes: 1

Max Upgrade

Hi,

The speed is determined by your line characteristics, such as the attenuation, SNR and line length. On some lines this will mean it'll get 8Mbps on others they'll be 3.5Mbps. Depending on the line it can really be anything from 160kbps up to 8Mbps.

If your throughput speed is 4Mbps then that may be all your line is capable of (or there may be some exchange side contention affecting the speeds).

What speed does your modem/router report as the sync speed and how does this compare to a speedtest?
jabns2
Grafter

Max Upgrade

My modem/router does not have a signal test on it (Belkin f5d7630-4a). But i am aware that there are some problems with my exchange http://usertools.plus.net/exchanges/?exchange=Fleetwood&exact=1205&plugin=vp

This is due to be fixed the day after my (10 day "stability test"). will this make it so that my line will always stay at this speed until the next upgrade. also if this is the problem will it be possible to do the BT profile tests again.

Many thanks,
N/A

Max Upgrade

I have a Belkin router (can't remember which one), have you tried http://192.168.2.1/adsl_status_main.stm. This is a hidden command for some reasons and gives you your line stats.

Mark
Plusnet Staff
Plusnet Staff

Max Upgrade

This is due to be fixed the day after my (10 day "stability test"). will this make it so that my line will always stay at this speed until the next upgrade. also if this is the problem will it be possible to do the BT profile tests again.

Your sync speed and maximum stable rate do get recalculated over time. Your sync speed will be updated everytime you resync with the exchange (so for example it was low because of a faulty modem and you got a new modem it would resync and get the higher sync speed). If the sync speed increases then the throughput will also update, although it will take a few days (normally 3) to filter through the system so as not to cause too many updates if your line is marginal, and to avoid changing on a "fluke" connection.
jabns2
Grafter

Max Upgrade

Thanks for thie link and the info guys. The tests results are on the following page...

http://jab-ns.net/Results.aspx

What do these results conclude please. And what is the error(annoyance) caused by.

Many thanks,
jabns2
Grafter

Results Link

The link is now working sorry Cheesy
Plusnet Staff
Plusnet Staff

Max Upgrade

Hi,

Those line stats look pretty good to me. The sync speed is good and the SNR right on target at 6dB (DSLMax tries to set the line to sync at a speed that your line will be stable at with 6dB for the SNR being what they reckon will keep it stable in most cases).

Depending on over what time period the errors are counted I'd say that they could be normal, a few hundred over a few days is certainly not a major issue.

Your downstream sync speed of 6144kbps will probably mean that your maximum throughput would be around 5-5.5Mbps because of the ATM overheads built into the sync speed (a 2Mbps line syncs at 2.2Mbps at allow for the overhead).

Allowing for exchange side contention, and network overheads then if speeds are coming down around 4Mbps then that's probably about right.