cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Max Speed issues? Exchange contention

Community Veteran
Fixes: 1

Max Speed issues? Exchange contention

I was maxed around 2 weeks ago, after moving back from the LLU. My forst sync was around 5500kbps, and varies between this and 6800kbps depending upon time of day. My downstream attn is 46dB, and SNR margin varies between 3 and 6 depending upon time of day again. My question is, usually I am seeing download speeds of between 3.0 and 4.8Mbps, but last night, I was syncing at 5600 (approx) but download speeds were around 2-2.3mbps, but during the day yesturday, speeds were around 4.5-4.8Mbps, syncing at 6600kbps. I tend to switch off my router once I have finished what I am doing, which means sometimes router is on and off 2-3 times a day over the weekend. Is this too much. I have noted that my exchange is reported at Red, stating that the VP lines are congested. I presume this is why my speeds were low last night. I am not complainig, as long as I have at least a 2Mb commection I am more than happy, as its plenty fast enought for me, 4 is more than I could have hoped for. Could anyone make a connect on the above. Should I only reboot the router once a day??. ( as an aside, if I switch the PC on, and the router is still on, whe I log on, the router immediately resyncs, but not to a lower rate, and speeds appear the same as the previous session. Router is a Netgear Dg834G v2)

Cheers