cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Max Dsl Dates Confirmed

N/A

Max Dsl Dates Confirmed

BT Wholesale in conjunction with the service providers has been testing an up to 8Mbps ADSL service for what seems forever. Today sees BT Wholesale announce the product. Up till now we have referred to the products as BT Home Max and BT Office Max, BT Wholesale has now altered the names to BT ADSL Max and BT ADSL Max Premium. The 'premium' tag referring to the provision of an up to 832kbps upstream. Full BT press release is on www.btplc.com.

From 31st March 2006 the product will go live on a national basis, rather than the limited number of exchanges at present (as of 1st March, this was just 76 exchanges). The service should be available on around 5300 exchanges, which will cover around 99.6% of homes and businesses in the UK. The key component to the Max services is that they are rate adaptive (i.e. will run at the highest speed they can) in both the downstream and upstream directions, which should see the vast majority of lines running a lot faster than under the existing planning rules used by BT Wholesale.

The potential range of line speeds are 160kbps (kilo bits per second) to 8192kbps downstream, the upstream ranging from 160kbps to 448kbps on Max, and 832kbps on Max Premium. BT in its press release has provided some estimates for how many people will get various speeds, 78% of BT lines are expected to manage 4Mbps or faster, 6Mbps to around 42%. It should be pointed out that even if you get the full 8192kbps, this is actually 3.6 times faster than an existing 2Mbps line. This is because a 2Mbps line runs at 2272kbps so that with the network overheads people will see close to 2Mbps under ideal conditions, so an 8192kbps line speed will provide around 7.1 to 7.3Mbps of potential data speed.

BT Wholesale is NOT going to carry out automatic upgrades of lines, this is down to your individual service provider, and at this time BT Wholesale is warning that it may take several months to regrade all the expected lines that providers will want switched. The existing Home 250/500/1000/2000 and corresponding Office products will continue to exist, and will still have the same planning rules applied, i.e. 2Mbps only on lines with under 43dB downstream attenuation, and 60dB for 1Mbps.

Over the next few days and weeks we will endeavour to update our sites various FAQ's and where questions are repeatedly asked we will add new subjects. One misconception worth clearing up, running on an 8Mbps line is not going to make a difference to gamers during game play, the extra upstream may make things smoother if using audio/video streaming during game play, but general gaming is latency rather than bandwidth limited, and the latency will remain pretty much the same. There is one exception and it is one gamers want to avoid, and that is the interleave option, which is a more robust form of error correction on the ADSL line and at the expense of 20 to 40ms of latency, the advantage being the line will run faster and more reliably. Interleave is an option the service providers will have the ability to enable and disable.
http://www.adslguide.org.uk/newsarchive.asp?item=2572

Ok then Plusnet.

When do we all get our lines upgraded to Max?
22 REPLIES
Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

Re: Max Dsl Dates Confirmed

and at this time BT Wholesale is warning that it may take several months to regrade all the expected lines that providers will want switched.

How many times have Plusnet assured us that we would actually get the faster line speeds in April? And that was in spite of many times my suggesting that although the launch was April, the actual implementation would take time. I'm really looking forward to seeing how Plusnet spin their way out of yet another broken promise.
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£13/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
Community Veteran

Re: Max Dsl Dates Confirmed

Ok then Plusnet.

When do we all get our lines upgraded to Max?

When the ISP puts in the change request and when BT eventually get around to doing it. Given the timeframe for the free speed upgrades (which are still not complete for some) it will easily take 6 -> 8 months before BT has upgraded everyone. That's assuming all the exchanges do get enabled reasonable amount of time as the 31/3/06 is still a provisional date.

Also it is normal practice that when you post quotes from a source you name the source of those quotes.

http://www.adslguide.org.uk/newsarchive.asp?item=2572
N/A

Max Dsl Dates Confirmed

Plusnet dont hvae to spin there way out of anything. They havnt broken any promises.

They said services would be availible FROM the dates provided. They DID NOT say that u would be regraded before that date.

Get to grips. :roll:

I've been telling folk this for several months now. an staff have repeatedly said that they were unaware on how the regrade process was going do work due to the lack of information.

(just getting tired of people putting stuff on plusnet when it isnt actually their fault for a change) I know its tempting with all the lastest mess abouts but meh. not needed
N/A

Max Dsl Dates Confirmed

Where on that BT Site is a list of dates for when exchanges are going to be upgraded? Smiley
Community Veteran

Max Dsl Dates Confirmed

If you want to know when your exchange is due to be enabled, use the usertools exchange checker. Note: all dates are provisional and any that state 31/3/06 just means BT will try to enable them soon after that date, although over 90% of exchnages have that date listed.

Or put your phone nuimber into the news item on the usergroup website here.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

Max Dsl Dates Confirmed

The only thing knowing when their exchange is going to be enabled is going to do for most people is raise false expectations. It could be many, many months after that before individual lines are upgraded - we just don't know.

MaxDSL was first announced to users in February/March last year.

I suspect it could be this time next year before everyone gets upgraded.
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£13/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
N/A

Max Dsl Dates Confirmed

It most likely will be evlin. Its going to take months of regrades to get it all done. I dont know if it will be as bad as last time or not. depends on what other isps are doing 2.

I assume there will again be a cue jump feature availbile and those on 16/24 accounts may get a free quejump.

Not sure how its going to work

I Think theres supposed to be an announcement by the end of this week /start of next regarding the new products and how things will work
lank111
Grafter

Max Dsl Dates Confirmed

i have a 1mbit line and a Att 55.8 and SNR 20
a curde guesstimate was 3.5 - 4mbps

Will this mean i can't get adsl max due to the rules?
N/A

Max Dsl Dates Confirmed

hi

how do you find out what your attenuation is can someone help plz
lank111
Grafter

Max Dsl Dates Confirmed

Hi
If you have a Router, there will be a 'ADSL Status' bit on the web admin.
This will show everything needed
if you have a USB modem, i think on some you hold the 'Ctrl' + 'C'
or somehting like that! but don't hold me to that, im not sure if usb modems have line stats
Alecto
Grafter

Max Dsl Dates Confirmed

Your router or modem may be able to display them for you.

Either read the instruction manual, or Google on the model number and either "attenuation", "line stats", "statistics" or "snr" One of those usually comes up with it.
Community Veteran

Max Dsl Dates Confirmed

i have a 1mbit line and a Att 55.8 and SNR 20
a curde guesstimate was 3.5 - 4mbps

Will this mean i can't get adsl max due to the rules?

What rules are you refering to. If you mean the line attenuation, they no longer apply for MaxDSL and the exchange will just sync at the highest reliable speed your line will take, both upstream and downstream (subject the the upstream limits on your product).
N/A

Max Dsl Dates Confirmed

Hi again

thanks for your help ill go and have a play

thanks
lank111
Grafter

Max Dsl Dates Confirmed

43db for 2Mbit and 60db for 1Mbit!

i still think i won't get a improved service! as i have heard if your speed on the first day of the ADSL MAX Rambo test, is 2Mbit or below, you won't get anything faster then 2Mbit,
even tho on day 2 or 3 it might rocket to 4Mbit - 6Mbit