cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Max DSL

N/A

Max DSL

Reading with interest the topic about the free upgrade to 8Mb MaxDSL once exchanges have been upgraded etc.

One or two quick questions.

Currently the upstream speed on DSL is 256kbps (give or take the odd bit).

What is the available upstream on Max DSL? I've heard rumours aplenty that it is somewhere in the region of 756kbps....

If so, then thats one HELL of an increase in the available bandwidth being piped back onto the network....

At last I may be able to put my webserver to some use :lol: :lol:

Can anyone from +net (or elsewhere) clarify the estimated or actual upstream figures?

I would go-ogle but tbh.....Im too lazy Shockedops:
28 REPLIES
N/A

Max DSL

bobthegeek,

What is the available upstream on Max DSL? I've heard rumours aplenty that it is somewhere in the region of 756kbps....

Actually your looking at 488kbps on residential lines and 768 on business lines.

I hope this helps you Smiley

Regards,
shellsong
Grafter

Max DSL

...and about 1.3Mbs on ADSL2+ (but that's a whole 'nother story!) Wink
Community Veteran

Max DSL

Actually the maximum upload speeds are 448Kbs for Home max and 832Kbs for Office max and it will try to sync in multiples of 64Kbs I believe.

http://www.adslguide.org.uk/newsarchive.asp?item=2453
N/A

Max DSL

I stand corrected. lol. Take a little bit more away from residential and add a little bit more to business and away you go :p lol.

regards,
N/A

Max DSL

832Kbps is the sync rate. 768 is in fact the throughput you can expect.
gregd
Grafter

Max DSL

While 8Mbit is obviously very exciting for alot of users including myself, I can't help but think what is the point at the moment ?

The way I see it:

1. With all the usage limits in place across the whole network it is difficult to get a decent rate on anything other than HTTP. Nevermind how fast the connection is, P2P and FTP just don't work well on even 2Mbit accounts most of the time.

2. Then there is the whole gaming problem which I know you guys are doing your best to fix.

3. Anyone with usage limits on their account will only end up using them quicker and thus be more capped.

4. Even with increased upload speed... running a web server is out of the question because upload rates are part of the usage policy still.

The web as it stands is not designed solely for HTTP (Maybe back in 1990 that would have been ok Smiley. While I realise BT makes you pay loads there has to be a better way than capping everything other than HTTP, VOIP and Gaming surely.

What is the point of 8Mbit otherwise? You can browse the web and use VOIP at 8Mbit woopee doo :roll:
N/A

Max DSL

If the limits are a problem try complaining to BTw, while you are at it best write to OfCom as well, it seams OfCom currently only wants there to be any low priced ADSL services via LLU for those in large cities and is stopping BTw from reducing their prices, typical government trying to screw people :|
N/A

Max DSL

1. With all the usage limits in place across the whole network it is difficult to get a decent rate on anything other than HTTP. Nevermind how fast the connection is, P2P and FTP just don't work well on even 2Mbit accounts most of the time.

3. Anyone with usage limits on their account will only end up using them quicker and thus be more capped.

4. Even with increased upload speed... running a web server is out of the question because upload rates are part of the usage policy still.

1. The fact that you will see an increase in the available upstream will mean that your FTP ups will be faster...hopefully Wink

3. I dont see that those with usage limits will use them up quicker....simply because you have the ability to download more in a shorter period of time wont mean that users will download proportionally more in the shorter time period. Just that the items that they DO download will be completed quicker.

4. And running a webserver is a viable option. Even though the upload is included in the "quota" the webserver I will be running is purely for my BF2 clan (if they all agree to me being allowed to do it) and the running of my Exchange server for the same. Its not as though I'm going to be running a mirror for something like the BBC... :lol:

All in all, I cannot wait for this to become a reality. It seems only yesterday I was extolling the virtues of 2Mb....now 8Mb is coming......its 4x the love!!!!!
gregd
Grafter

Max DSL

1. To be honest I only care about download speed cos its shoddy for most stuff at the moment... until after 12. I think its safe to say most users do not run their own FTP server and are more concerned about downloading from FTP.

3. What will happen is users will download stuff quicker and therefore there will be times where they have completed a download sooner than expected which is great. But then users will have a tendancy to download more because it is coming down quicker imo.

4. Well no course not lol but still it would be nice to run all my stuff from my own server... and I dont think thats a viable option with any broadband provider unless you pay alot.

So really I dont see the point for the majority of users on PN... for yourself im glad there are some advantages! Smiley
N/A

Max DSL

3. What will happen is users will download stuff quicker and therefore there will be times where they have completed a download sooner than expected which is great. But then users will have a tendancy to download more because it is coming down quicker imo.

Yeah, if they start downloading movies for their cat, their dog, their granny and the guy from next door lol, at the end of the day there is this issue with there being a limited number of hours in the day to watch/play the stuff you download, and some of that time is taken up by stuff like work and sleep so I don't see the need to download a huge amount more unless you are going to sit watching 24/7 Shocked
N/A

Max DSL

What we have to remember thoguh is that not everyone will have the full magic 8MB to use. Infact if I remember rightly I believe it was said that the average sync was currently 5.5MB or in the region of.

Then we have the users ( of which I may be one of them im, and rather upset too if I am ) who wont get much more than what they have now. Some will get 1MB more from 1MB -> 2MB and those from 2MB-> 3MB or 3.5MB.

So on the whole it wont be everyone that will notice this massively huge change in speed.

I dont think usage will go up the more speed you have. I thought it would for me when I went from 512 -> 2MB last year, but the fact is my usage has evened out asI am able to complete what I need to in a faster time frame. This doesnt make me want to do more, just simply allows me to enjoy browsing a bit more and with less of a worry as to how uploads were going or certain downloads were coming along.

Just my 2 cents.
Plusnet Staff
Plusnet Staff
Fixes: 1

Max DSL

I think most people are also going to be the same. The increases in speed for most won't in the short term make much difference to usage patterns. It will allow the usage of higher bandwidth applications yes, but it will take time before that has an impact on peoples' usage. Time which will allow for costs to reduce and budgeted usage amounts to increase to allow for higher usage patterns.
N/A

Max DSL

Having used the checker to estimate the speeds I MAY receive, it showed that it was possible that I MAY get the full bhoona of 8192kbps .The figures from my dsl router show the following:

Noise Margin +7dB
Attenuation +33dB
Transmission Level +10dB

If I pipe those figures into the checker posted elsewhere on the forums.....8192 is a realistic figure....at least I HOPE it is!
Community Veteran
Fixes: 57

Max DSL

You'd better have a look at those figures again. I don't know what the transmission level is but taking the attenuation figures and noise margin you won't get any better than you are getting at present. Your noise margin is right at the lowest acceptable level