cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Max DSL and 8pm??

N/A

Max DSL and 8pm??

Why are so many of us having problems at 8pm? My connection drops out at 8pm every night, I have raised a ticket but it is now in the "ignored" queue with so many others.

But why 8pm? Why not 7pm or 9pm? I have read on here about quite a few people whose connection drops at 8pm, this is obviously a problem with BT so why are we not being told what that problem is, If any one can tell me why 8pm is so significant to a DSL line I would be interested to know. Otherwise I suppose I will have to wait until PN CS see fit to lower themselves to a level whereby they will answer my ticket - failing that I will have to pay off the remaining couple of months to get my MAC and migrate to an ISP who do actually have a working CS department!!!!
19 REPLIES
Community Veteran

Max DSL and 8pm??

Certainly after 8pm is when my SNR will start to fluctuate.

A large number of people suggest it is street lighting, however for me, there are no street lights between me and the exchange 4km away!

Of course it can be any electrical items especially those with motors, shower pumps, toaster, hair dryer, blenders and certain bedroom items. Wink

I would be surprised if BT are not aware of this problem, and so I am hopeful this is also one of the issues BT are fixing on June/6th. Just have to wait a few days till this date.

Will have to wait for the Winter months to see if the instability is anything to do with 'daylight', at worse we could find problems from 4PM ... :x

SW.
--
3Mb FTTC
https://portal.plus.net/my.html?action=data_transfer_speed
N/A

Max DSL and 8pm??

I don't have any problems at 8 pm.
But I'd like to know why my connection drops every evening between 9.30 and 10.30 pm.

I suspect that BT is to blame, that tyheir trials didn't mimic the real world. For example, no trialists who didn't already have good 2 mb lines, and probably where there wouldn't be contention issues.

We pay plux net for a reasonable service, but the only ISPs that may not be suffering are the smallest, and who knows if they'll still be here in a few months time, especially as talk talk has upped the anti and all are suffering who have placed customers on max.

BY should have trialed in bust exchanges, with many trialists who were never able to get full speeds on normal ADSL.. in other words, a large number of the UK base of users.
N/A

Max DSL and 8pm??

MInes also drops at 9:30pm its beying doing it since my MAX upgrade,it goes on till about midnight it re-syncs around 7.5Mb to the full 8128Mb

I get a constant 8128Mb at all other times
N/A

Max DSL and 8pm??

Well my connection is 15k download speed which happened on tuesday but before that it was working great.

About 35 loss of syncs and2-3 dissconnections all for 65.99 pounds a month Smiley hey atleast i can live in hope that i will get the full version of ADSL and not stay on this hybrid version of ISDN.

Play's - DJ Jazzy Jeff & The Fresh Prince - Summertime
Prod_Man
Grafter

Max DSL and 8pm??

I am sure I have read somewhere that speed changes are applied at........

.....(youve guessed) ....... 8:00 AM or 8:00 PM !!..

Can't find where I read it right now (anyone else seen that?)
N/A

Max DSL and 8pm??

mostly in the early hour of the morning i thought.
Community Veteran

Max DSL and 8pm??

Yes, 8AM and 8PM are the times when PN will change your stable rate based on information from BT.

How this could affect SNR and/or your actual sync speed is not obvious.

SW.
--
3Mb FTTC
https://portal.plus.net/my.html?action=data_transfer_speed
N/A

Max DSL and 8pm??

Mine likes to resync between 8 and 12 pm. Hope its set soon cos it's annoying having it cut out mid game. I keep loosing points in battlefield. It seems to be a little better in the past view days though. Still get several resysncs but it's not half as bad as a resync every 5 mins for half an hour or so Sad

The upside for me however is that I was only on 1Mb before so at least my speed has so far been doubled. When I am connected, which to be fair is the vast majority of the time, I can definately see the benefits of upgrading. Downloads are mostly doubled and server ping times in games seems to be down overall.

My guess is that the BT system tests your conn during peak hours. I'm sure it must be done then cos that's when you more likely to see errors.
N/A

Max DSL and 8pm??

I get a constant 8128Mb at all other times

The fastest ADSL connection in the world? Smiley

Eric
N/A

Max DSL and 8pm??

I only get a few evening resyncs, but yeaterday I raised a ticket.

You broadband should not be dropping like this on the new product, Can you please confirm if the DSL light (also know as link, sync or show time) flashes or goes off on your modem/router when your connection gets dropped or you cant connect?

Regards,

Well, I know that these questions have to be asked, because it could be that the dog pulled the cable out and someone else plugged it back in. Smiley

But now I'm worried that I'll be set on a speed so low that I'm no better off than I was before the upgrade, when 1 mb was my fastest speed. Only I'd still have the max cap and I'd run into peak time more often because it would take longer to download.

My stats now:

ADSL Line Status: SHOWTIME
ADSL Modulation: G.dmt
ADSL Annex Mode: ANNEX_A
ADSL Startup Attempts: 1
Elapsed Time: 0 days 1 hours 41 minutes 54 seconds

Downstream Upstream
SNR Margin 4.9 20.0 dB
Line Attenuation 62.3 31.5 dB
Errored Seconds 632 5
Loss of Signal 0 0
Loss of Frame 0 0
CRC Errors 1048 5
Data Rate 3424 448 kbps
Latency FAST FAST
tumnus
Grafter

Max DSL and 8pm??

I say its a flaw in MaxDSL. Even after the training period it tries to connect at the fastest rate which may be much more than your MSR in the morning/afternoon when there is little interference in residential areas while most are at work/out, but this rate cannot be sustained when the SNR drops in the evening. Hence the disconnections in the evening.

There have been plenty of threads on this but no one from PlusNet has commented:

http://portal.plus.net/central/forums/viewtopic.php?t=43390

Of course, if you raise a ticket about it CS are going to treat it as a fault with your individual hardware/line since that is what they expect and are trained for. Maybe if we all submit tickets en masse about this issue that would get someone's attention?
N/A

Max DSL and 8pm??

Wow, a reply from PN:

Dear Mr M,
We have checked your line and no fault can be found with your service therefore I am passing the fault back to you for further checking and testing at your end.

The first thing you need to do is go around your premises, unplug all telephony equipment (including sky boxes or anything which uses the phone line). Once everything is unplugged from your line take your ADSL equipment directly to your BT master socket and try to connect using only your ADSL Modem/Router and a standard ADSL Microfilter.

If the problem is solved :

If the issue stops after trying the above. Something will have been causing the issue at your end. One by one plug everything back in ensuring filters are attached to the end of every extension or phone socket (dont double filter as this will cause intermittent / loss of sync). Please note if the fault is with equipment/extensions at your end it is your responsibility to solve the problem.

If the problem still exists :

If you still have an issue with your connection and your equipment is plugged directly into the BT master socket. Try changing the microfilter and modem (if possible) also check for any sources of RF interference (especially if the fault seems to happen when it gets dark or if a certain electrical devices are on at the time of the fault).

On the software side check to make sure all firmware is up to date and you are running the latest version of drivers for your modem. Go and research your hardware, A lot of equipment on the market can actually cause intermittent sync and you may find a fix for it.

If after trying all of the above and you are at a loss we can escalate this to BT however we need to advise that if BT find no fault you may be charged £45.00 + VAT

Regards,
very bored CS, who really does not give a toss.

So basically they are asking me to check for the 3rd time everything I have already checked twice before - that makes sense, I have always noticed that faults go away when you check them for a 3rd time!!!

It would also have been nice if they actually read the original ticket and took note that the problems only occured at 8pm, so checking the line at 1pm is unlikely to replicate the fault!!!

What a bunch of useless pillocks - I have even been on hold on the phone for over 42 minutes trying to get a sensible answer from someone - I think I will now send them an invoice for my wasted time due to their incompetance!!!
N/A

Max DSL and 8pm??

I'm getting really fed up with this shi*** excuse for a company...ok if BT are having issues with MaxDSL then at least acknowledge it. Pis*** off with tickets being ignore, or being given laughable things to try by their tech support
N/A

Max DSL and 8pm??

I am now only waiting for a couple of months till the end of my contract, then I am off - I can't run my business on this type of connection - between e-mail delays and the connection dropping (which also takes out my business line as I use VOIP) and the very slow response time to tickets I am not hanging around to pay any more money to these jokers - even though moving will cost more per month a stable connection that I can actually receive emails on time through is far more important!!! I used to think PN had excellent CS, but now they are just a joke - over 45 minutes on hold just to get to speak to someone, then the call only lasted 2 minutes - what a waste of my time, still, Carol Axe will be getting an invoice for my time - hope she pays or we'll be meeting in the small claims court :lol: :lol: