cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Max DSL Stable Rate not updated

N/A

I raised the following issue with CS via a ticket as our Business Premier ADSL account has been very slow lately:
Since Tues 13th when I have been monitoring it our router has not synched at a DS rate of less than 4800 however your stable_rate page has consistently shown 1000. As instructed on your site the router has been rebooted daily but the speed has not improved.

Please update the stable rate to match our synch rate. Thank you.

The reply from CS was as follows (my highlights):
*** CSC Agent 11:50am, Monday 19th June 2006

The information displayed on that page is what we get back from BT in the delta reports from your line. It is not a setting we can change. The latest delta report gives a possible stable speed for your connection as 1mb and so this is why you are getting the 1mb speeds. The sync speed doesn't affect the actual downstream speed you will get.

In short, the speeds you are seeing are correct.

I am ready to stand corrected but I believe the CSC response is at least factually incorrect and possibly deliberately misleading.

Surely, an ADSL connection that has synched constantly downstream at over 4800 kbps (current 4832) should give a speed greater than 1000kbps! According to CSC the sync speed does not affect actual downsteam speeds? So what's the point of a higher sync and so speed test results of 1003, 993 and 818 kbps are correct? Our current router stats are:
ADSL Link Downstream Upstream
Connection Speed 4832 kbps 832 kbps
Line Attenuation 48.0 db 25.5 db
Noise Margin 11.5 db 8.0 db

I would appreciate comments on the CSC's response before I return to PN as I am 99% certain they are incorrect. We pay over £40 for a business level service with business level support and I do not believe we are getting it!

Julian

P.S. We have been Max'ed now for over 5 weeks and so are ourside our 14 day training period.
21 REPLIES
Community Veteran

I have seen similar problems on my account, BT were clearly changing my stable rate value, but PN were not. Fortunately leaving the router off for 20mins and/or running a BT speedtest seems to get things working again.

PN do not acknowledge this problem.

SW.
--
3Mb FTTC
https://portal.plus.net/my.html?action=data_transfer_speed
FooAtari
Grafter

Im not entirely sure how things work with MAXDsl

But BT's acceptable speeds are very low.

for example anything as low as 400kbps is acceptable for a 2mb connection according them, and will only investigae further if you are getting speeds below that...

Edit

From another post

I saw in another post that the 400kbps acceptable speed also applies to MAXDSL. These are set by BT. Maybe somone could confirm though that this is correct.
James
Grafter

I have seen similar problems on my account, BT were clearly changing my stable rate value, but PN were not. Fortunately leaving the router off for 20mins and/or running a BT speedtest seems to get things working again.

PN do not acknowledge this problem.

SW.

We process delta reports on a twice daily basis.

If you have any evidence to suggest otherwise, please let me know.
N/A

Hi James.

I have no idea what a delta report is but is that the explanation as to why our line has sync'd at 4800+ for the past week but our stable rate is only 1000 kbps? My home ADSL line sync's at 5500+ and the stable rate is 5000 kbps so I would expect this Business line to have a much higher stable rate than 1000.

Is it correct that the download speed has no relation to sync speed?

Julian
Community Veteran

See tickets I have raised and e-mails to you I sent a few weeks ago.

SW.
--
3Mb FTTC
James
Grafter

See tickets I have raised and e-mails to you I sent a few weeks ago.

SW.
Apologies.

I thought you were referring to a current problem. I've not seen any instances recently.

@Julian

It's possible that your router resynced at a low speed, which then causes BT to reset your speed to that and may take 3 days to pick up again.
N/A

Similar problem here. On Wed last (14Jun), in the early evening, my Line Speed (= PN "stable rate" ??) dropped from 7000 to 2000, and has not changed since.

I now know why my "BRAS profile" (= delta report ??) was changed - see 2 small changes and WOW!. While my Line Speed was at 7000, I was getting d/l speeds of over 4 Mbps.

I've rebooted my DG834GT daily to no avail. My router stats remain stable at:

Down Up
Connection 8096 448 kbps
LA 15.5 21.5 db
SNR 11.4 20 db

Various speedtests (PN & ADSLguide) during this period give about 1.9 Mbps.

So, either my BRAS profile is stuck, or BT have indeed "unstuck" it, but PlusNet haven't yet got round to implementing it! It is now nearly 6 days.

I've not bothered to raise a ticket/question. Would it do any good in the present "climate"?

DT
Community Veteran

Various speedtests (PN & ADSLguide) during this period give about 1.9 Mbps.

You need to run the BT speedtest, if it gives greater than 2000kb/s then something has gone wrong. Either BT have not sent PN a Delta Report or PN has not processed the Delta Report.

SW.
--
3Mb FTTC
N/A

godsell4,
Did 3 BT speedtests on 16Jun (1.45pm): 1929, 1950 & 1963 kbps.

Just completed 3 more: 2393, 1608 & 1838 kbps.

DT
Community Veteran

Did you follow this process here? It involves changing some settings on your router.

You must run the test described above.

SW.
--
3Mb FTTC
N/A

Did you follow this process here? It involves changing some settings on your router.

Yes, that's precisely the procedure I follow for BT speedtests. I use the first IP addr (http://217.35.209.142) to login to the tester.

I've NOT turned my router off since 14Jun. I'm not sure what, if any, difference that could make.

DT
Community Veteran

So if you did follow those instructions and one of your results gave 2393kb/s, it means BT think your line is faster than your stable rate of 2000, but no where near the 4000kb/s supported by you current modem line speeds.

Do another check either late tonight (after midnight) or early tomorrow (before 8am) morning so to see what affect you exchange contention is having. I suggest this because you are seeing quite a large difference in speedtest results.

See you here tomorrow?

What have you got to lose by turning your router off for 20mins?

regards,
SW.
--
3Mb FTTC
N/A

What have you got to lose by turning your router off for 20mins?

Basically, I don't understand how BT's ongoing line monitoring for DslMax works!

My "reasoning" goes something like this: if my router is constantly ON and syncing at 8096, then BT must be able to "see" this, and should, sooner or later, revise my Line Speed to 7000 kbps. If my router is OFF for a prolonged period, then BT may interpret this as a "no connection", or a failure to sync, so I may go back to square one ... whatever that is!

DT
Community Veteran

Basically, I don't understand how BT's ongoing line monitoring for DslMax works!

Strange, I think BT have only just become aware of the monster they have created. Wink

... BT may interpret this as a "no connection", or a failure to sync, so I may go back to square one ... whatever that is!

NO, should not be a problem. In fact the DSLMax monitor called RAMBO, likes to see a small number of infrequent synchronisations. Smiley

SW.
--
3Mb FTTC