Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Mand - Are there speed problems?

thehatman
Grafter

Hi Mand,

I was getting between 3 and 6 meg by your own speed test's estimation until maybe a week ago.

Now I regularly get only under 2 meg.

I haven't changed anything here.

What's going on?
21 REPLIES
Mand
Grafter

Hi there,

I tried to call but you were unavailable, I have added a response to your ticket, please feel free to drop me an email so that I can investigate this further for you.
N/A

Me too i was getting 2 Meg and was delighted as i have a very long line as of this morning im down to 475 whats going on i pay £29.99 a month and 2 meg suits me fine is this because i have reached 60% of peaktime usage
Officerdribble
Grafter

Hi,

Like the OP, when I was maxed I got 7616 showing as my router sync, with attenuation of 13 and noise margin of 16. 7000 was reported by the high speed broadband tool, which actually seemed low given the noise figures.

Speed tests showed 5800 to 5900, which I thought was pretty good. I disconnected and reconnected as per the instructions, expecting the speeds to increase. Far from improving, they lasted about 4 days before plummeting over the past week.

My router still shows 7616, the broadband tool still shows 7000, but the router shows the noise margin as having reduced to 10 unless I plug direct into the BT socket, when it goes up to 13. The speed tester is typically showing 4000, but goes as low as 900.

Now the ten day training period is over, I wonder if something got stuck at a low rate caused by the few dropouts I've suffered in the past week (the ones that seemed to affect everyone). I live less than a kilometre from my exchange and it shows green for capacity.

Is there any way of investigating further?

Thanks.

H. Meier
N/A

my connection gone off to

I've had problems too - this is my reply to plus.net:

your proably rate - the current rain conditions must be affecting my connection.

I am not prepared to accept the BT charge - but will rememeber that I've had similar problems before are strangley enough always seem to be sorted out on their own.

a number of my firends who also use plus.net have had similar problems with BT. If you read the forums - as you are not allowed too - will see that I am not the only one in the same position.

I will continue, throught the forums, to progress this unacceptable situation that plus.net cannot accept problems are occuring without their network.

Also, whilst in Manchester today, I've spoke with an indendant source, to try and work out how I can resolve this problem.

You are trying to push the problem back on the end user - there's been nothing changed in MY HOUSE, MY NETORK, etc - so you are probably gonna say it's my hardware again.

Rubbish - sort out your own problems first !
N/A

just done a speedtest why has my stable rate dropped to 500

Test1 comprises of Best Effort Test:
IP profile for your line is - 500 kbps
DSL connection rate: 448 kbps(UP-STREAM) 2496 kbps(DOWN-STREAM)
Actual IP throughput achieved during the test was - 272 kbps

If you wish to discuss these results please contact your ISP.

If you are experiencing problems with specific applications, servers or websites please contact your ISP for assistance.

Your test has completed please close this window to exit the performance tester.

this is just silly :shock:
N/A

hey - not the only one !

I've had problems too - this is my reply to plus.net:

your proably rate - the current rain conditions must be affecting my connection.

I am not prepared to accept the BT charge - but will rememeber that I've had similar problems before are strangley enough always seem to be sorted out on their own.

a number of my firends who also use plus.net have had similar problems with BT. If you read the forums - as you are not allowed too - will see that I am not the only one in the same position.

I will continue, throught the forums, to progress this unacceptable situation that plus.net cannot accept problems are occuring without their network.

Also, whilst in Manchester today, I've spoke with an indendant source, to try and work out how I can resolve this problem.

You are trying to push the problem back on the end user - there's been nothing changed in MY HOUSE, MY NETORK, etc - so you are probably gonna say it's my hardware again.

Rubbish - sort out your own problems first !
N/A

Problems here too. My exchange is green and has been for weeks. I'm synced at 5.6Mbps. My stable rate is 4500.

For several hours this morning my download rate was 96 Kbps both on browsing and binary news. According to the BT Speedtest it has now improved dramatically (hah) to 400Kbps - approximately 10% of what it usually is.

Presumably if BT are reporting rubbish speeds this isn't a PN issue - is that right?
N/A

If the BT line profile says something then that is outside of plusnets network and control.

Although thats not to say the BT profiling doesnt sometimes get it wrong!
N/A

me too

yep - the problem is a plus.net problem - they are not telling us about the restrictions applid to BT customers.
N/A

profiling !

i actually don't agree - BT only supply the profiles but the QoS and profiling is down to the provider/user of the service i.e. plus.net.
N/A

Re: me too

yep - the problem is a plus.net problem - they are not telling us about the restrictions applid to BT customers.

What restrictions? Are you suggesting PN has throttled my connection to near-dialup levels at 7 in the morning because I use BT?
N/A

i am not sure what's going on - I've noticed that my connection has been 'shaped' ang my original 7mb connection has been chopped -

if I do a speedtest.net - you can see the oringal connection go weel - as far as 5mb, but after 2 secs it drops down to 3mb - so me that's shaping !
N/A

shaping

i am not sure what's going on - I've noticed that my connection has been 'shaped' ang my original 7mb connection has been chopped -

if I do a speedtest.net - you can see the oringal connection go weel - as far as 5mb, but after 2 secs it drops down to 3mb - so me that's shaping !
N/A

not giving up

looks like no-one's talking to me - so I think that I will write another letter in the morning - not to plus.net this time - will try BT instead