cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Manchester nodes outage - extended down time?

N/A

Unfortunately I was one of the 800+ users that were cut of by BT last night around 2am while they did some sort of upgrade to the nodes on the ERX2.Manchester2 - whatever that is?

I was still unable to connect at 8am this morning and contacted PlusNet who advised to wait a bit longer. I could authenticate to all the test log ins and my router was in synch, appeared to be getting to the exchange but no further? Contacted again at 11am and they raised a ticket to have the line tested. The line finally cleared around midday and I rang to advise them of this.CS said had not tested the line and it had just cleared on its own.

Glad it is all now sorted but wondered why such short notice about the work being done by BT. The Announcment shown in the forum was posted well after 2 am. It also said it would only last approx. an hour but mine was well in excess of this. I guess this is down to BT and how they organise things but would like to know what exactly was going on and why I had such a prolonged time without a connection when the promised outage should have been no more than about an hour.?

CS by the way were very helpful and polite on all occasions I spoke to them on the phone. They just did not seem to have much info on why I was having problems caused by the outage which I guess is down to BT not giving enough details to PlusNet?

Thanks
4 REPLIES
hop
Grafter

Still down for me - live in Cheshire.

I assume it's because of the BT outage. Giving the router another hour until I try connecting again....

Appreciate that it's not PlusNet's fault, but more info and an update would be useful.
jberry
Grafter

Hi there,

BT have PEW's (Planned Engineering Works) all the time, it is just that they don't normally affect so many people. We do not normally announce them at all as there is not enough of an impact from a support point of view to warrant it. They should also have no knock-on effect but clearly this isn't the case.

To make sure you do not have what is called a "stale session" you should physically disconnect your equipment from the phone line (or power down your router / Unplug your USB modem) for just over 1 hour. If this does not help then try both BT test logins, see what happens and get in touch with us and we will raise a fault.

The BT test logins are available in this tutorial.

Regards,
N/A

Hi Josh, appreciate it is BT and not PlusNet that are causing the problem. In my case I had already tried all the things suggested - unplugging router and leaving for at least an hour also both test log ins worked fine. I could connect my router OK but it appears that I was only getting as far as the DSLAM at my exchange and no further? Even your CS could detect that I had had no conneciton since 2am yesterday. It appears that for whatever reason no proper connection existed between you and my local exchange?

All fixed now and it appears to have just come back to life, nothing more done at my end as the connection was left on all the time. Would love to know what the real reason was but guess we will never know!
hop
Grafter

I'm back on-line Cheesy

Thanks for your help.