cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Management and gaming

Daveodeth
Grafter

Management and gaming

I'm interested to know what catagory gaming comes under for account management because i cant see it as part of the "Speed of P2P, Usenet, file transfer applications" group and yet i'm damned if i can get anything higher out of css. anything around 12K downstream and i lag. although at the moment i'm not sure if my net will go over 12k for anything as browsing the net is slow aswell.
8 REPLIES
N/A

Management and gaming

Hi Janets

Gaming is covered under Traffic Management, currently this is in the "Titanium" queue and states "Time critical traffic: e.g. VoIP and gaming" with a level of "Very fast - Currently highest priority traffic", so you should not be seeing lag or slow speeds as long as your connection is OK.

For a full rundown on Traffic priorities see: Traffic Management

Have you tried any speed tests to rule out contention and/or line issues?
jfrank
Grafter

gaming

I'm not sure I understand your post - the stats for Net use gives a gaming bandwidth use? My Premier account (2meg) gives good latency on servers (around 30-40 ping). If you mean download for mods from servers - thats controlled by the servers themselves and is usually capped extremely low so that it doesnt interrupt actual play for users while you download. Sorry if I misunderstood - just trying to help clarify what you mean. I also run a X360 over my router and get decent results latency-wise.

Again, apologies if I misinterpretted your post...
Daveodeth
Grafter

Management and gaming

all my line tests say my down and up are around the 128k mark yet iv'e synced at 2.1. i'm guessing this is because to test the line speed it performs a FTP and that is limited to the 128K speed. however my main concern is that everything else is at 128K and not 1mb as stated on the website.
JonathanW
Grafter

Management and gaming

Janets, when you say that everything is running at the 128k level, is this 128kbps or 128KB/s? If its the latter, then that's roughly what you should be seeing for a 1mbps connection.

If you're seeing 128kbps, then I'd suggest you take a look a this page and run some BT Speed Tests. Once you've done that, get in touch with support, via the Help Assistant, and they'll take a look at things from our side for you.
Daveodeth
Grafter

Management and gaming

sorry should have been clearer i meant kbps . In game i'm downloading 12Kbps and gettin huge ping jumps. thanks for the link trying it now.

Just a quick question isn't an MB 1024 bytes not 1000?
JonathanW
Grafter

Management and gaming

It actually depends on what you're looking at. Generally, 1MB is 1024KB, but when it comes to hard drive capacity and overall bandwidth usage on your connection its 1000KB per MB.
N/A

Management and gaming

It actually depends on what you're looking at. Generally, 1MB is 1024KB, but when it comes to hard drive capacity and overall bandwidth usage on your connection its 1000KB per MB.

That's a fudge and you know it.

Actually (not generally) 1MB is 1024KB. Lets face it - if I download something that's 1.1GB in size I'm actually downloading 1048575MB - I see only one zero in there....

HDD manufacturers round down to the nearest 1000 because it's a sales gimmick to make you think you are getting more than you are - but at least they're honest about it!

If a HDD manufacturer was to jump under a bus would you say "that's good practice lets do it!?
Pendragon
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

Management and gaming

Actually JW is correct and even though I have been in computers many years I did not know of the context of a binary or metric version of a Megabyte

And if you really want to be totally confused have a look at this link http://www.answers.com/topic/megabyte

Regards, Colin.