cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Malicious Email supposed to be from support@bt.com

N/A

I have received the following email with ZIP file attached. Have reported it to BT Broadband. Please do not open it.

Subject: 4 megabyte connection

Hello from BT Internet!

Recently we have undergone changes in the way we operate. From now on you can get a 4 megabyte connection speed as standard and we are happy for all our existing customers to benefit from our new high-speed Internet access.

For ease of use we have attached the new settings needed to enable this option. Please run the attached tool and follow the on-screen options. The process is fully automated so you need not worry about manual configuration.

If you find any problems then please contact us on 0845 600 600.

Virtually yours,

Sandra Hays

British Telecom Communications
9 REPLIES
N/A

Any pillock that opens and runs that file deserves everything they get...
N/A

Thats a bit harsh, I can't help thinking.
It's not everybody who understands the dangers.
I drive my car, but put fuel in it without investigating the history of the petrol.
Maybe it has additives in it that give more mpg, but burn the piston rings, who knows
I aint got the time to research everything that I use.
Community Veteran

No, but you pass an examination that tells everyone your compitent in using a car. Or at least I hope you did! Smiley
N/A

Cons & Hoaxes Ivan

Hi,

Like many many hoaxes & spam emails this email clearly appeals to the most vulnerable the NAIVE or novice computer user. Yes! we forget us more experienced users that such people still exsist (infact the universe is full of them, after all we ALL had to start some where with learning about computers & IT). I can see people easily falling for this con. Yes! good that its been reported to BT.

Ivan
--------------------------------------------------
F9 FOL Forum Moderator
F9 Broadband Premier 2MB User
Your Forum, Make Your Voice Count!
N/A

And, of course, those novices won't know their bits from their bytes, so won't fall about laughing at the idea of BT giving them a 4 megabyte connection and delete it as garbage!

I've warned a few BT users who might fall for it - and I'm told that there is a similar one with "Blueyonder Internet" in it instead of "BT internet", so no doubt other popular ISPs will follow. Now, we wouldn't fall for it, but ask yourself "Is anyone who is daft enough to sign up to Tiscali going to be bright enough to spot it?" Wink
N/A

And of course not forgetting the home of the terminally bewildered... AOL
N/A

you all seem to think it strange someone would fall for that hoax, so did you instantly become computer whizz kids and know it all? everyone starts some where. and I thought people like you would offer help instead of making fun of people Sad
N/A

Normski, the rules you appply to emails from strangers should be no different to the sort of things you should think about when dealing with anyone/thing you do not know and trust. Just because it is on a computer you shouldn't just trust it (in fact the very opposite).

As to me and PC's .... I had my first computer (a C64) back when I was 13 used to use it for games and programming - rather a long time ago now Wink
N/A

Whos the pillock here. If you have nothing descent to add. Don't bother. It is people like you who drain the confidence of newbies.

If anything ragingcat has brought the attention to us all new and experienced.

Thank you ragingcat for letting us know. We can all fall foul sometimes, so don't worry just learn form the experience.