cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

*Major* problem when using chat clients....

N/A

Hi there. I don't really know where this thread belongs, as it could be hardware related...or it could not.

I have internet in two places...one at our student house, and one at home. They're both the same (2MB Premier) but use different routers. At Uni it's a BT Voyager, here it's a Binatone 2100.

Normal internet usage..perfect on both accounts. The problem, however, is at home. If I use MSN messenger, I can expect to be signed out every few minutes. For no reason whatsoever. Or, if I'm lucky enough to stay signed on, messages get "lost", so someone will say something to me...and to them it looks like it's delivered, but to me I get nothing. Likewise, I'll say something to them...and the other person won't get it.

It's driving me nuts Sad It does it on other machines in the house as well...we've just accepted that messenger = crap at home, but I'm back for a while and I can't be dealing with constant sign outs lol anyone experienced anything similar? I feel it's firewall related, so do I need to change any port settings, either on the router, or in messenger?

Hope someone can help.....I will give many cookies to the first person that can!!

- Paul
8 REPLIES
N/A

its not a "major" problem. You still have the telephone Wink

Secondly it does sound like a configuration issue with the router.

msn does this alot, but not as bad as what you describe. Maybe try resetting router to factory defaults and work your way from there.

Check see if upnp is enabled, its not a requirement but may help
N/A

Sorry, *major* was a bit much Wink It's just highly irritating. I know MSN is far from perfect, but the frequency of the disconnections and the amount of messages that go undelivered/unseen makes it unuseable...definitely not normal behaviour.

Um, ..it says in the messenger connection dialogue that I'm connected directly to the msn service through a non UPnP Port restricted NAT....which I'm afraid I'm not too sure what that means!
N/A

NAT is network address translation.

Basically it allows you to share your external Plusnet IP address with all your internal Machines using an internal only address range (e.g 192.168.1.6)

If you go into your router and look for "upnp" Probabily under some form of "advanced settings" menu somewhere. and enable it. may do the trick.

I'm not sure if this will help or not. If your router doesnt have this option then it may be a case of forwarding some ports to the machine of your choice. Eitehr that or a new router.
N/A

This seems to be a common problem We get it on a D-Link 604T Router with full wirelesss conections to a PC and 2 laptops .If one is left for a time MSN drops and reconects several times.We put this down to a low signal at times .Having said that if a machine is conected wired it can do this regularly.I know quite a few people across the country that suffer this problem ,all use different ISP's and equipment so it is not common to only one ISP,or Equipment only one of our laptops seems to be affected by this happening ,I have updated my router firm ware which seems to have sorted most out for now .It could also be a bug in XP itself if you are useing windows ,We also on any of the machines get the no connection to internet box appear the one with work offline or try again buttons ,havent seen that since our dial up days.We have only noticed the MSN dropout's since we loaded MSN 7.5 and the last 2 or 3 updates for it .maybe there is a conection ,
Plusnet Staff
Plusnet Staff
Fixes: 1

Hi,

I rarely use MSN at home (v7 on win 2k) but when I do I rarely see it drop out. At work I'm logged in all the time (using v4.7 on XP) and it's fine all the time.

It's possible it's the version, may be worth trying a different version/OS if you can.
N/A

Hi again. Nah I'm afraid this is not a wireless issue - I'm currently on the wired network. Besides, at Uni I use it exclusively over wireless and have no problem with it.

I'll look into some of the advanced settings on the router. I can't remember if my other connection is UPnP or not. My dad said he saw something at Gibson Research about needing to disable UPnP due to security risks? I don't know. My only other option I guess is to experiment with port forwarding, but I'm not too sure how that works as a concept, so I'll have to do some reading before I start tinkering with any settings.
N/A

I don't know if it would help but I found installing messenger plus! ironed out a few problems for me
N/A

I use Trillian and never have a problem with dropouts...

Plus, it allows me to integrate ICQ (which I occassionally need to use) with MSN, which I use regulaly.