cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Major Spam in E-mails

N/A

Major Spam in E-mails

Dearest Plus Net Tongue

I am having trouble with spam in my e-mails, have had approxiamtely 250-300 spam mails today alone, seems to be increasing as the days go by, have just put my settings onto high (in the spam option thingy), hope that makes a difference Wink
15 REPLIES
N/A

Major Spam in E-mails

Spam is becoming a real problem at the moment, and whatever people do to fight it, the 'tards find a way around it, I had an email advertising drugs this morning...SENT FROM MYSELF :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:
N/A

Major Spam in E-mails

I get hardly any spam and I'm using Hotmail. When I say hardly any I mean none this year. As it's against the law now to send unsolicited emails in the EU and many other parts of the world only scumbags spam. How'd they get your email address? If it's that bad get a new email address and start afresh.

I don't understand why people get so much. If it's coming from yourself then you maybe need to look at your PC's security.

Whenever I check a relative's PC it can be full of emails and 99.5% of those are where they asked to be spammed by a company (ie not ticked the box so as not to). I don't call that spam since they asked for it (or didn't read what was in front of them). If that's the case they can unsubscribe.
N/A

Major Spam in E-mails

hmm,

dslweb, nah. To recieve an email from yourself someone merely needs to impersonate you. Its not hard to spoof an email really. What is hard though if it was sent from your own system and then yes in thiese circumstances I would very much look at the system in question.

I would say investigate it Robyn. See what IP it originated from if possible and really worry if its your won lol.

I mean looking at my statistics here

Messages Checked - 1510
Spam Detected - 736 ( and this is automatically deleted )
Marked as spam - 94 ( system is unsure )

All in all on average:
49% of messages recieved ever = Spam
6% of messages recieved ever = unrecognised spam
45% of messages recieved ever = Normal Emails.

I would say thats a large amount of spam there lol.

Regards,
N/A

Major Spam in E-mails

I think every customer gets the awfull spam. I put it down to us having 'unlimted' email accounts.

Websites that you visit gather your IP and thats how they do it, now seeing as your IP is basically included with your user name anything can be put infront of the @

I must get about 2000+ per week mostly pron and other jibberish that i haven't even been to or seen.

Pretty annoying to say the least, getting to a point where im not even going to use PN email anymore and just let the emails build up on PN's server Cheesy
N/A

Major Spam in E-mails

I have all of PN's spam filters turn off and do my own spam checking. Mozilla Thunderbird is very good at detecting what is and isn't spam and throwing it into the junk folder which I check about once a week or so just to make sure there's no "proper" emails in there.
N/A

Major Spam in E-mails

I get hardly any spam and I'm using Hotmail. When I say hardly any I mean none this year. As it's against the law now to send unsolicited emails in the EU and many other parts of the world only scumbags spam. How'd they get your email address? If it's that bad get a new email address and start afresh.

I don't understand why people get so much. If it's coming from yourself then you maybe need to look at your PC's security.

Whenever I check a relative's PC it can be full of emails and 99.5% of those are where they asked to be spammed by a company (ie not ticked the box so as not to). I don't call that spam since they asked for it (or didn't read what was in front of them). If that's the case they can unsubscribe.

You are a VERY lucky individual then :lol: :lol: the one i got this morning was through the charity site i run (see below) and its NOTHING to do with my pc security, email spoofing is very easy and extremely commonplace these days, and its also nothing to do with tickboxes either, because i dont use the charity email address (plusnet one) in anything other than replying to peoples enquiries about first response.

I have a spamfilter installed and it does its job quite well, however, I dont expect it to stop email that was supposedly sent from my site do i? Cheesy
N/A

Major Spam in E-mails

hmm,

dslweb, nah.

I would say investigate it Robyn. See what IP it originated from if possible and really worry if its your won lol.

This is the TRUE email address PalomoSolomonxtnslaft@eircom.net so a little email to the abuse team there methinks!!
N/A

Major Spam in E-mails

Once you do start to receive bulk real spam (that you can't stop) then your email is game for all the worldwide scumbags and no doubt changes hands for £££s.

That's when I'd dump the email. Using Hotmail means I report anything I consider spam and assume they do something with it. Which is ironic since Hotmail started the whole spam industry in the first place IMO.

I treat my email like my home phone number. If I have to give out an email and I'm not 100% happy with it I'll use a spam catching email from www.mail.com

I'm all for people's information being protected and I think that starts with your own actions first.
N/A

Major Spam in E-mails

but your still implying that its our fault in the first place, when it isnt, people no longer have to "sign up" to anything to receive mail illicitly, it can be done without that because of harvesters, i know people on here whose ONLY place they have used it is on here. Its not down to people dumping there email address everywhere, which is why you have missed my point completley, I have NOT used my plusnet address ANYWHERE, its only used to reply to emails from the charity site. Its not posted anywhere, in forums or anything, but they still managed to send spam to that email.

Treat it like a phone number if you wish...but you can still get spam, you have just been lucky!
N/A

Major Spam in E-mails

I have NOT used my plusnet address ANYWHERE, its only used to reply to emails from the charity site.

Massive contradiction there.

You should change that email and then see what happens and make sure you don't release your email until the later stage of a conversation with someone (ie ask them to use a web form).

Most spam is caused by the fault of the owner of the email but that doesn't stop someone having their address book stolen (usually their fault too) and your email being spammed by that. In that case you'll have to change your email.

Spam for me is like the spread of a virus ie it's usually caused by people you know (that includes someone infected, a company that's loose with your private info etc).

It's not rocket science to reduce spam.
Total_Chaos
Dabbler

Major Spam in E-mails

I have been receiving e-mails from both my own domin, another registered domain, but parked elsewhere and my Plus com account for well over a year now. At first I thought that my account had been mined at PN, but when I got e-mail from one of my domains parked elsewhere, I guess that they may have got it from when Nominet was data mined.

Once an address has been used then it's possible to get the address from a public facing NIC on the Internet set in promiscuous mode. This is why many spam filters are set up to reject incoming mail from their own user@userdomain. Many mail systems these days only accept mail for known users and drop the others. If you look you will probably notice that you are now receiving mail from Plusnet's MXcore routers, though the actual IP address from where they were sent is external to Plusnet.
N/A

Major Spam in E-mails

I have NOT used my plusnet address ANYWHERE, its only used to reply to emails from the charity site.

Massive contradiction there.

And there ends my input to an obviously one-sided I am wrong conversation!!!!!!
N/A

Major Spam in E-mails

Same for me, I don't get any spam whatsoever to my hotmail or yahoo email addresses, plusnet I get ~25 a day.
Plusnet Staff
Plusnet Staff
Fixes: 1

Major Spam in E-mails

Spam does seem to be on the increase right now, mind it's always on the increase. I'm sure the last stat I saw was that over 75% of all email is spam.

For my own email I got probably 50 spam emails each day. The PlusNet spam checker picks up some, and I've blackholed some of it so there's probably more than that sent to me. My old Freeserve address gets almost as much.

To help combat spam we do have a number of tools available, apart from the spam protection.

There's the catch all mailbox blackhole which means you'll only get mail to specific addresses you set up such as postmaster@...

We can blackhole specific addresses e.g. name@... can be blackholed by setting up a redirect to blackhole@abuse.plus.com via the email settings -> configure mailboxes page.

If spammers are picking up your address from the rDNS then this can be changed from username.plus.com to ip-address.plus.com or to host.domain.tld if you have a domain name.

We can blackhole mail from specific domains or a specific email addresses if you are getting spammed by someone specific.

If anyone has any other suggestions of things we can do then we'd be interested to hear.