cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Mailer daemon - SPAM

thegrafter

Mailer daemon - SPAM

Is it just me or am I the only one reciving tons and tons of Mailer daemon spam emails?

These past few days my in-box has been flooded with this stuff.

Can anyone shed any light on this?

Thanks

Mike
15 REPLIES
N/A

Mailer daemon - SPAM

Same here. How do spammers get into our accounts like this?
N/A

Mailer daemon - SPAM

They don't 'get into your accounts'. You can send emails from apparently any email address by typing the email address as the sender in Outlook Express (for instance) Accounts. Should the email be undeliverable it will be bounced back to the spoof email you have specified.
thegrafter

Mailer daemon - SPAM

So you can hijack someones email address, use it to spam others and all undeliverable emails will be sent back to the victim?

Is their anyway to prevent this or are there any precautions we can take? This just seems so easy.
csogilvie
Grafter

Mailer daemon - SPAM

Is their anyway to prevent this or are there any precautions we can take?

Not really... all it takes is for you to have emailed someone who has picked up a virus, and your domain can be hijacked. Posting email addresses on the web isn't a smart idea - and I would even extend that to include doing things like user AT domain DOT com as it's quite easy to convert that back to a proper email. Neither is 'catch-all' accounts to a certain extent (although, personally, I'd rather have that) as it means emails to un-used addresses get delivered.
thegrafter

Mailer daemon - SPAM

Ok I see. Is there a way of re-directing then, these unwanted emails to an unused email address or auto-deleting them instead of wasting vast amounts of time deleting them?
ianscales
Grafter

Mailer daemon - SPAM

Sounds like you need to do the same as me, see.....
http://portal.plus.net/central/forums/viewtopic.php?t=50865
Plusnet Staff
Plusnet Staff
Fixes: 1

Mailer daemon - SPAM

Yep, you can set up two different types of blackhole depending on how you use your mailboxes or how the spam is coming in.

If for example it's all coming to a specific email address e.g. blah@username.plus.com then you can just set up a blackhole to block all mail sent to that address, or if it's all coming into random addresses you can set up mailboxes/redirects for the addresses that you do use and then blackhole the catch-all address. Details are on the portal at:

http://www.plus.net/support/email/email_security/email_blocking.shtml?link=supfeature_security2
lingbob
Grafter

Mailer daemon - SPAM

Same here. How do spammers get into our accounts like this?

They don't actually get into our accounts but it's not exactly rocket science for peeps to get the right-hand side of our PlusNet email address(es) from these very forums! Sad
Plusnet Staff
Plusnet Staff
Fixes: 1

Mailer daemon - SPAM

I don't think that spammers will harvest many if any email addresses from the forum, I'm sure if they did then my forum address would get huge amounts of spam, but it doesn't. My personal addresses on the other hand get spammed relentlessly.

The main ways that spammers get hold of addresses is virus mails. You send an email to a friend and they get infected with a virus which scans their PC and finds the address.

There are other ways, scanning Usenet and websites for addresses and dodgy websites and people sending mailing lists.
thegrafter

Mailer daemon - SPAM

Yep, you can set up two different types of blackhole depending on how you use your mailboxes or how the spam is coming in.

If for example it's all coming to a specific email address e.g. blah@username.plus.com then you can just set up a blackhole to block all mail sent to that address, or if it's all coming into random addresses you can set up mailboxes/redirects for the addresses that you do use and then blackhole the catch-all address. Details are on the portal at:

http://www.plus.net/support/email/email_security/email_blocking.shtml?link=supfeature_security2

I like the sound of using blackholes but I have clients regularly sending me emails and I can't take the chance of deleting important emails. I get spam using using any prefix before @mydomainname.com which makes it almost impossible to stop.
Dave_A
Dabbler

Mailer daemon - SPAM

The main ways that spammers get hold of addresses is virus mails. You send an email to a friend and they get infected with a virus which scans their PC and finds the address.

Not only that, but some people respond to some of these mails by following the link on some mails like "to unsubscribe click here" all it does then is to confirm a live address, as all it was before was a "blind" email, now they have a valid address, BAM!
Ianwild
Grafter

Mailer daemon - SPAM

It's a real problem for people indeed. Like a number of long established Internet protocols, email was never designed for the way it is used today. When Email was devised, the people using the Internet were 'trusted' - It was academics and teccies, and there weren't safeguard planned for spammers. If dialling a phone number were free from anywhere in the world, you would get as many junk calls as you do spam, but they couldn't present someone else's CLI, like a spammer can.

What is needed for this is a concerted effort from the big software guys (Microsoft, Mozilla etc), from the big providers (Hotmail etc) and from consumers, to find ways round this. However it happens though, it's going to make email less convenient to use and set-up and I don't think we will ever be spam free...

On the forum username point, I wholeheartedly agree, and when our forum upgrades happen (Which are on hold right now, but will come off hold just as soon as we get the priority problems sorted out), this will let us implement the 'nickname' solution I want to put in place to prevent this risk from continuing. The challenge there is preserving everyone's posting history and post counts!

Ian
N/A

Mailer daemon - SPAM

Another way of looking at this is that the ISPs themselves could start blocking all outgoing traffic to port 25 from customer machines, and unlocking on request.

Sure its a 'shoot them all and let God sort them out' approach and it would mean I'd have to use relay.plus.net as a forwarding server until a ticket was answered, but other than people hosting their own domains, there is no reason why any Joe Q Public's PC would need to contact port 25 on a machine that isn't the ISPs mail servers.

Just my thoughts anyway.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

Mailer daemon - SPAM

Perhaps blocking port 25 outbound could be done on all residential accounts only - businesses would be more likely to have their own mail servers.
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£13/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)