Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Mailbox Problem

spinecho
Grafter

Mailbox Problem

Hi All

Took opertunity to rename username mailbox to something else so switched it back postmaster as it was when I originally joined plusnet. I have not had any spam addressed to this.

some questions :?:

1. I cant remove postmaster alias but it is still poiting to this the default mailbox. Is this ok or will them both having the same name cause problems.

2. sent e-mail to username@mydomain.co.uk. It came throught to the username mailbox. I thought it would bounce now as the default mailbox is now renamed.

any ideas.

Francis
11 REPLIES
Plusnet Staff
Plusnet Staff
Fixes: 1

Mailbox Problem

Hi,

Hmm, the first one is definately odd, on the safe side it may be best to call the default mailbox something other than postmaster as it may be confusing things.

Do you have the catch-all address switched on? If so then username@... will go to the catch-all mailbox.
spinecho
Grafter

Mailbox Problem

Hi

Thanks for reply.

Will Change default e-mail box name.

Switched off catch all over a month ago when spam started.

Francis.
Plusnet Staff
Plusnet Staff
Fixes: 1

Mailbox Problem

In which it's probably changing it to postmaster that's not taken effect. If it's still the same after changing then I'd say to raise a ticket (although give it 30 minutes to allow the change to take effect, it should be instant but best to be on the safe side).
spinecho
Grafter

Mailbox Problem

I have done a few further tests.

Sending test e-mails to

Username@mydomain1 and username@mydomain2 and username@username etc.

When I did this last night.

test1 - 1 e-mail got through and 2 did not.
test2 - 1 e-mail got through and 2 did not.
test3 - 2 through 1 not.

And today

test4 - None through.

It seems to me that it was taking a while for all the servers to be updated so some receiving mail were still processing the mail to my pop3 account while others were rejecting. I note I have no rejection e-mails yet though.

Also I pointed my postmaster alias at a different mailbox from the one I called postmaster and then sent myself some test e-mails. They all still went to the postmaster mailbox. This would tend to indicate the mailbox has a higher priority than the alias.

However as suggested I will rename the main mailbox to prevent any clashes.

Question - how long do mail servers try to deliver mail before they send back a rejection e-mail that it cant be delivered.

Francis.

Also just wanted to say that this now working has jot rid off about half the spam I was getting.

I unfortunately have a lot of registrations with companies with *******@username.plus.com style e-mails so cant black hole the generic e-mails but I find my Norton AntiSpam filters take care of this. Sorry to say I switched off Plus net spam filters as they were not as accurate as Norton for me.
spinecho
Grafter

Mailbox Problem

Something weird is going on.

The test 4 e-mails that I mentioned that did not come through. Two of them have just been delivered.

The ones that I mentioned as missing from my first 3 tests are still missing.

Whats going on. My username@username address should now not be working as I changed the setting.

Any Ideas.

Thanks

Francis.
spinecho
Grafter

Mailbox Problem

Hello

Sorry for posting again so soon after the previous e-mail but I expnaded my tests with my plusnet e-mail accounts and now I am very concerned as to what is going on.

Can some one from plusnet look at this.

Here is my test scenario.

I have 9 plusnet mailboxes.

I sent an e-mail from one of these to all 9 at 21:09. I also copied in two external hotmail accounts.

As of yet none from the directly e-mailed have arrived i.e. plusnet to plusnet.

Both hotmail accounts however recived the e-mails.

I then arranged for these e-mails to be sent back from the hotmail accounts to my 9 plusnet accounts.

While they did not all arive simultaneously all 9 e-mails arrived from both the hotmail accounts between 21:15 and 21:25.

As I said none of the direct plusnet to plusnet e-mails have yet to arive.

Can someone from plusnet pass this on as appropriate to help fix these problems.

Francis.
spinecho
Grafter

Mailbox Problem

Thought I would keep everyone upto date.

Reply I have had from the ticket I raised.

I have tried to send 4 test emails to different email addresses which did not get through. I will now pass this onto our Networks department to investigate.

** INTERNAL **

The customer is not receiving emails sent to any email addresses. I have replicated this but not received any bouncebacks.

Francis.
N/A

Mailbox Problem

Well the last couple days I've been getting emails delayed overnight at plusnet (..again..), same thing today,
Like:
Delivery-Date: Fri, 20 Jul 2007 02:38:10 +0000
Received: by fhw-sunmxcore07.plus.net with esmtp (PlusNet MXCore v2.00) id 1IBadV-0006aJ-V1 Thu, 19 Jul 2007 18:22:02 +0000

and

Delivery-Date: Wed, 18 Jul 2007 19:37:03 +0000
Received: by fhw-sunmxcore05.plus.net with esmtp (PlusNet MXCore v2.00) id 1IApqg-0001vn-9T Tue, 17 Jul 2007 16:24:30 +0000

So perhaps their mail system is going back to the same old tricks, and you'll get them today / at the weekend..
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 158

Mailbox Problem

This should be the tail end of the mail queues seen this week, new emails should be now coming through faster and we are constantly monitoring the queues to make sure that any spikes in traffic are fixed quickly.
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Chris Parr
 Plusnet Help Team
spinecho
Grafter

Mailbox Problem

Dear plus net.

Also to add to the mail problems.

Even though I renamed the default mail box over a day ago and have no catchalls switched on items to the username address are still being delivered. In particular if they are addressed to my mydomain2.co.uk domain.

I have just done three tests.

E-mailing
username@username.plus.com, username@mydomain1.co.uk and username@mydomain2.me.uk a test message from my hotmail account.

in all three cases the message was delivered to my default mailbox via the mydoamin2.me.uk route. The other two routes have failed as expected but I got no mail bounce back to my hotmail account.

I hope this information can further help your engineers.

Francis.

Hello All

Thought I would keep you aware of what’s going on. The above is what I have just added to my ticket.

Ironically the domain route that is still delivering mail to the default folder is the free one I registered following the spam situation.

Francis.
spinecho
Grafter

Mailbox Problem

Hello All

Just wanted to say my problems have now been resolved.

Plusnet said
corrected an inconsistency in the mail database

This fixed the problem of my new domain still working in a catchall fashion even though the setting was switched off.

Also the plusnet to plusnet mail problem I mentioned has also been fixed. It looks like that was to do with the mail que problems according to what plusnet advised.

I then queried why now the catchall was switched off on all domains why I was getting no bounce backs. This was the responce.

any mails that are sent to a blackholed address (i.e. when the catchall is 'off' and a mailbox does not exist for the prefix used) the mail will simply be blackholed and no bounce message will be generated

I thought I would post this as there has been some confusion on this issue on the forum.

Francis.