cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Mailbox Login problem: Outlook Express & PC-cillin

JakTheBiscuit
Grafter
Posts: 149
Registered: 10-08-2007

Mailbox Login problem: Outlook Express & PC-cillin

Anyone else using Outlook Express & PC-cillin anti-virus?

I've been using these for about a year with no problems up until 04-Feb-2003, and now I get mailbox login problems.

The following setting has worked up until 4th Feb:
pop3 mail server: localhost
accountname : <username>/mail.plus.net

These settings allow PC-cillin to intercept viruses before Outlook Express gets a chance to run them.

Since 4th Feb, these settings prevent login to my mailbox. I can make a login, by changing to the 'normal' setting of:
pop3 mail server: mail.plus.net
accountname : <username>

However, if I do this, PC-Cillin is no longer to intercept viruses , which is a bad thing!

So, has anyone noticed this too? Something has obviously changed at the Plusnet end.

(Ticket number 6229521).

--

Johnmo.
2 REPLIES
N/A

RE: Mailbox Login problem: Outlook Express & PC-cillin

> Anyone else using Outlook Express & PC-cillin anti-virus?
>
> I've been using these for about a year with no problems up until 04-Feb-2003, and now I get mailbox login problems.
>
> The following setting has worked up until 4th Feb:
> pop3 mail server: localhost
> accountname : <username>/mail.plus.net
>
> These settings allow PC-cillin to intercept viruses before Outlook Express gets a chance to run them.
>
> Since 4th Feb, these settings prevent login to my mailbox. I can make a login, by changing to the 'normal' setting of:
> pop3 mail server: mail.plus.net
> accountname : <username>
>
> However, if I do this, PC-Cillin is no longer to intercept viruses , which is a bad thing!
>
> So, has anyone noticed this too? Something has obviously changed at the Plusnet end.
>
> (Ticket number 6229521).
>
>
> --
>
> Johnmo.
>

Hi,

From the error message you give in the ticket it is a problem with logging in to the mail server, as you have this set to localhost because I would guess PC-cillin is acting as a mail server you'll need to look at the config of PCcillin. As you say if you change the settings to directly connect to our mail server it works which proves your e-mail account is functioning. I can also confirm that we have not made any changes to the configuration on our mail servers recently that would be relevant here.

Kind Regards,
Rob
--
| Robert Kelly.....................Unmetered & ADSL solutions
| Technical Support...................for Home & Business
| PlusNet Technologies Ltd...........@ http://www.plus.net
+ ----- My Referrals - It pays to recommend PlusNet -----
N/A

RE: Mailbox Login problem: Outlook Express & PC-cillin

Not anawer to your Plusnet problem but,
Do your self a favour and look at Mailwasher !

http://www.mailwasher.net/

Free download.

Screens all your mail, including Hotmail, before it gets to your machine. Identifies virus and spam mail giving you the option to delete it or bounce it back to where it came from before it downloads to your computer. Brilliant stuff.

Malki.
(Ihave nothing to do with the software writer, but it has caught 7 virii before it got to my machine this week !! )

Malki.