cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Mail services for other domains?

N/A

Mail services for other domains?

Hi Support,

Is it possible to implement POP3 support for other than the default <username>.plus.com domain?

I have another domain registered that I would like to recieve email's at, but I don't really want to host my own SMTP server, although I may have to if there is no other way Smiley

Best Regards
Chris
5 REPLIES
N/A

RE: Mail services for other domains?

> Hi Support,
>
> Is it possible to implement POP3 support for other than the default <username>.plus.com domain?
>
> I have another domain registered that I would like to recieve email's at, but I don't really want to host my own SMTP server, although I may have to if there is no other way Smiley
>
> Best Regards
> Chris
>

Hi Chris,

I'm not entirely sure if I've understood your question, but it may help you to know that, for any domains hosted on your account with us, emails sent to that domain will arrive in the main mailbox for your account.

For example:

imagine your username was "flintstones".

Your email address would be alias@flintstones.plus.com and email sent to :-
fred@flintstones.plus.com or
wilma@flintstones.plus.com or
barney@flintstones.plus.com would all go to you main account mailbox. This is the standard behaviour, right "out of the box" so to speak.

If you hosted the domain "theflintonefamily.com" (which at time of writing doesn't exist!) on your account with us, then the following addresses would ALSO go into your main mailbox:

fred@theflintstonefamily.com
bambam@theflinstonefamily.com

etcetera.

You can get extra functionality by creating new mailboxes. If you create a mailbox called "barney" then all mail sent to barney@flintstones.plus.com or barney@theflintstonefamily.com will go to that new mailbox.

A common misconception is that you need to create a mailbox for each alias you want to use. If I sent an email to

buckrogers@theflintstonefamily.com

it would arrive in the main mailbox for the account.

So in summary, all mail sent to
anything@username.plus.com
or
anything@anydomainhostedonyouraccount

will go into the main POP3 mailbox on your account UNLESS you already have a mailbox defined for that "anything" before the @ sign.

We're working on improved support content on the portal at the moment which will hopefully make information like this much clearer.

Best Wishes,

Matt Saunders
Technical Support.

--
| Matt Saunders...................Unmetered & ADSL solutions
| Technical Support..........................for Home & Business
| PlusNet Technologies Ltd..............@ http://www.plus.net
+ ----- My Referrals - It pays to recommend PlusNet --------+

Community Veteran

> > Hi Support,
> >
> > Is it possible to implement POP3 support for other than the default <username>.plus.com domain?
> >
> > I have another domain registered that I would like to recieve email's at, but I don't really want to host my own SMTP server, although I may have to if there is no other way Smiley
> >
> > Best Regards
> > Chris
> >
>
>
> Hi Chris,
>
> I'm not entirely sure if I've understood your question, but it may help you to know that, for any domains hosted on your account with us, emails sent to that domain will arrive in the main mailbox for your account.
>
> For example:
>
> imagine your username was "flintstones".
>
> Your email address would be alias@flintstones.plus.com and email sent to :-
> fred@flintstones.plus.com or
> wilma@flintstones.plus.com or
> barney@flintstones.plus.com would all go to you main account mailbox. This is the standard behaviour, right "out of the box" so to speak.
>
> If you hosted the domain "theflintonefamily.com" (which at time of writing doesn't exist!) on your account with us, then the following addresses would ALSO go into your main mailbox:
>
> fred@theflintstonefamily.com
> bambam@theflinstonefamily.com
>
> etcetera.
>
> You can get extra functionality by creating new mailboxes. If you create a mailbox called "barney" then all mail sent to barney@flintstones.plus.com or barney@theflintstonefamily.com will go to that new mailbox.
>
> A common misconception is that you need to create a mailbox for each alias you want to use. If I sent an email to
>
> buckrogers@theflintstonefamily.com
>
> it would arrive in the main mailbox for the account.
>
> So in summary, all mail sent to
> anything@username.plus.com
> or
> anything@anydomainhostedonyouraccount
>
> will go into the main POP3 mailbox on your account UNLESS you already have a mailbox defined for that "anything" before the @ sign.
>
> We're working on improved support content on the portal at the moment which will hopefully make information like this much clearer.
>
> Best Wishes,
>
> Matt Saunders
> Technical Support.
>
> --
> | Matt Saunders...................Unmetered & ADSL solutions
> | Technical Support..........................for Home & Business
> | PlusNet Technologies Ltd..............@ http://www.plus.net
> + ----- My Referrals - It pays to recommend PlusNet --------+
>
>
Chris

Another thing you can do which is not covered by the above is to use the "Message Rules" in outlook express and I think in outlook as well to further sort your mail.

For example I have a domain called hmrg.co.uk so I have created a folder within outlook express called hmrg mail and then set up a maeesage rule so that any mail containing the string hmrg in the address is sent to that box.
All other mail to whoever@johnessex.plus.com goes to the normal incoming box.

This gives you a method of seperating the incoming mail as it arrives.

--
Regards
John
http://www.hmrg.co.uk
N/A

>
> Another thing you can do which is not covered by the above is to use the "Message Rules" in outlook express and I think in outlook as well to further sort your mail.
>
> For example I have a domain called hmrg.co.uk so I have created a folder within outlook express called hmrg mail and then set up a maeesage rule so that any mail containing the string hmrg in the address is sent to that box.
> All other mail to whoever@johnessex.plus.com goes to the normal incoming box.
>
> This gives you a method of seperating the incoming mail as it arrives.
>
>

Hi John,

This is correct, you can set up the message rules to sort your mail in most email applications. This is very helpful if you need to filter large amounts of mail.

Regards,

Dave

--
| David Scarpa...................Unmetered & ADSL solutions
| Technical Support.....................for Home & Business
| PlusNet Technologies Ltd............@ http://www.plus.net
+ ----- My Referrals - It pays to recommend PlusNet -----
N/A

Thanks Guys, I understand now Smiley

I thought I had to manually setup the other domain, but since they all go to the same alias thats fine.

Cheers
Chris
N/A

Your welcome Chris,

Just let us know if we can help you any further.

Regards,

Dave

--
| David Scarpa...................Unmetered & ADSL solutions
| Technical Support.....................for Home & Business
| PlusNet Technologies Ltd............@ http://www.plus.net
+ ----- My Referrals - It pays to recommend PlusNet -----