cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Mail Sending Problem

kopperdrake
Grafter

Mail Sending Problem

Is anyone else getting problems checking their emails? I can send, but can't receive. My account is ok as I can check them online, but nether Outlook or MailWasher will log into the account (says 'cannot connect to the mail server' at mail.plus.net, Error Number: 0x800xxx90)

Nothing's changed in my setup over the last few days either - this has been like this all day - didn't check it over the weekend.

Any ideas?

Duncan
14 REPLIES
csogilvie
Grafter

Mail Sending Problem

Do you have a firewall installed?
Can you try the telnet test for POP3 described in http://usertools.plus.net/tutorials/id/21?
kopperdrake
Grafter

Mail Sending Problem

When I try the test it says Could not open a connection to host on port 110: Connect failed.

I have a hardware Firewall built into my D-Link DSL-G604T ADSL Modem/Router but I haven't changed any settings for weeks.

Duncan
csogilvie
Grafter

Mail Sending Problem

Have you tried rebooting both PC and the Router?

What is your actual problem, btw - the subject says sending mail but the error message you posted relates to receving mail from what I can gather - mail.plus.net being the POP3 server.
kopperdrake
Grafter

Mail Sending Problem

Oops - it's problems receiving mail. I can send, but not receive. I'm about to reboot and see if that helps. Will also try another mail program - I currently use MailWasher to screen my emails first, and the MS Outlook to receive the filtered emails.
kopperdrake
Grafter

Mail Sending Problem

ok - I've rebooted my adsl modem/router and the PC and still can't receive email through MailWasher or MS Outlook. I have installed Mozilla Thunderbird too, incase it was an MS product, but again, it can't establish a connection with the mail server mail.plus.net - it says the connection was refused.

I can browser the internet happily on all 3 PCs on the network, I can send email from my email PC but I just can't receive it on my email PC. I can receive and send email via my plus.net webmail service.
Ben_Brown
Grafter

Mail Sending Problem

What happens with the telnet test? Have you tried disabling MailWasher as a test?
kopperdrake
Grafter

Mail Sending Problem

Hmm...it says:

Could AVG be causing the problem?
kopperdrake
Grafter

Mail Sending Problem

The telnet test says the same thing - connection refused. I've tried disabling Mailwasher with no luck either.
Ben_Brown
Grafter

Mail Sending Problem

I think we've found the culprit! Try disabling AVG and give it another whirl.
kopperdrake
Grafter

Mail Sending Problem

Good grief - I'd disabled AVG before but it had still given the same problem. However, it left a process working avgemc.exe, which I disabled just now and it worked!

Thanks guys Cheesy

And grrr AVG Wink
N/A

Mail Sending Problem

Are you running a software firewall such as Zonealarm?

If so allow AVGEMC.EXE internet access in ZA permissions and see if that cures it.
kopperdrake
Grafter

Mail Sending Problem

Nope - I only have a hardware firewall as part of my adsl modem/router (D-Link DSL-G604T). It's been fine up until now :/
N/A

Mail Sending Problem

Yip just realised that Colin had already asked that.

Have a read at this from the AVG forums. Looks like a very similar issue albeit with a different router. Looks like a reinstall of AVG may be required.

It is not normally this problematic.
kopperdrake
Grafter

Mail Sending Problem

Thanks for the heads up Smiley I've used AVG for years now and this is the first problem with it, so I haven't done too badly really Smiley

Thanks again Smiley

Dunk