cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Mail Alias Password?

N/A

Mail Alias Password?

I've set up nick@theseventies.plus.com but can't get Outlook to pick up the mail. I carefully followed the instructions at

http://portal.plus.net/supportpages.html?a=146

in following these instructions I don't see how a mail alias gets to use a different password to the username, so I gave them both the same password.

I've tried using WebMail to look at nick@theseventies.plus.com but it only allows me to look at the main mailbox.

--
Kind Regards

Nick
7 REPLIES
Saturn
Grafter

RE: Mail Alias Password?

> I've set up nick@theseventies.plus.com but can't get Outlook to pick up the mail. I carefully followed the instructions at
>
> http://portal.plus.net/supportpages.html?a=146
>
> in following these instructions I don't see how a mail alias gets to use a different password to the username, so I gave them both the same password.
>
> I've tried using WebMail to look at nick@theseventies.plus.com but it only allows me to look at the main mailbox.
>
>
>
> --
> Kind Regards
>
> Nick

Have you made your account (in the servers panel of your account set-up)name "theseventies+nick"?

Similarly in Webmail your account will be "theseventies+nick". That should do it.
Saturn
Grafter

I'm assuming above that you have set up a mailbox called "Nick".
N/A

> I'm assuming above that you have set up a mailbox called "Nick".

Yep!

I couldn't sort out where to put theseventies+nick so I decided just to cancel nick & stick to the default. I still get anything going to nick@theseventies, I don't really need separate addresses when I think about it. BUT - even though I have deleted the mailbox - I don't get mail addressed to nick@theseventies.plus.com

I DO get mail addressed to whoever@theseventies.plus.com
--
Kind Regards

Nick
espresso_mick
Grafter

<BUT - even though I have deleted the mailbox - I don't get mail addressed to nick@theseventies.plus.com>

err..well you wouldn't because as you have said you have deleted that mailbox.!?!?

If it's Outlook Express you are using you would put

theseventies+nick

in the space for Incoming Mail Server Account Name on the server settings tab.

If it's just Outlook your using it will be the Login Information Account Name on the server settings tab. (this applies to Outlook 97)

On the WebMail page you have to add your new mailboxes to it. They don't appear automatically on this page after you have created them.
N/A

Nicj,

The golden rule with mailbox logins is to use the following method regardless if you are setting up mail programmes or using the web mail facility on the p[ortal:

username+mailbox

The password that you specify is always for the mailbox. If it is just the defauilt then you only specify the username with your default account password.

Best Regards,

Dave.

--
| David Watson. Unmetered & ADSL solutions
| Technical Support. for Home & Business
| PlusNet Technologies Ltd. @ http://www.plus.net
+ ----- My Referrals - It pays to recommend PlusNet ----- +
N/A

> <BUT - even though I have deleted the mailbox - I don't get mail addressed to nick@theseventies.plus.com>
>
>
> err..well you wouldn't because as you have said you have deleted that mailbox.!?!?

But surely the mail going to nick@theseventies.plus.com will go to the default mailbox if nick@theseventies.plus.com doesn't exist?

The point that I was making is that nick@theseventies.plus.com disappears whilst whoever@theseventies.plus.com is delivered
--
Kind Regards

Nick
Saturn
Grafter

Nick

I've sent you an e-mail with an image of the Outlook panel that needs completing to access your mailbox. Hope this makes it easier to actually see what needs completing. If it doesn't get through to you let me know via this forum.