cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

MSN (and certain webpages) aren't working...

N/A

-done a search of the forums and came up with this thread

Is anyone else having problems, or is it just me? (I've just repaired windowsXP, so it's not unlikely I'm to blame)

um, I'm not too technical, so be gentle, replyers Smiley I've had a mess about with my internet settings, but no change...
10 REPLIES
numismatic

Re: MSN (and certain webpages) aren't working...

yes I can not get lastminute.com
or legoland.com and few others just take ages to load or do not load

Moderators note by John (johnessex) Full quote of preceding post removed as per the Link:rules
N/A

hmmm... I can get lastminute.com, but no mIRC...

should I be using a proxy server? I'm on 2mb broadband plus.
N/A

Even Google is slow -- first, it takes an age to resolve www.google.com (and yes, both with manual and automatic DNS server selection), and then it times out two times out of three. As do an awful lot of other pages.

I've rebooted my router and PC, to no effect.

Yet another network problem? You have to wonder where this service is heading to...
Plusnet Staff
Plusnet Staff
Fixes: 1

Hi,

Have you tried any of the following sites, eBay, Amazon, Hotmail or the London Congestion Charge site. They may seem like a strange bunch but often there's one thing in common if it affects most or all of them and that's your MTU and RWIN settings.

If you have problems with most or all of them then I'd suggest taking a look at

http://www.kitz.co.uk/adsl/tweak.htm

there's quite a lot of good information on there and details on how to change your MTU and RWIN to see if that fixes it.

If all the other sites work then this may not be the problem, let us know how you get on.
N/A

Dave,

eBay, Amazon etc. all work reasonably well -- but the Kitz page keeps timing out or is ultra-slow...
N/A

google and a load of forums i use kept timing out as did my checking of online banking etc!!! pc is fine tweaked to hell and back lol!!!
N/A

Yep, there is something different going on.
N/A

London Stock Exchange, Yahoo! etc. -- the list is endless.

If it doesn't time out, this is actually worth a look: http://uk.finance.yahoo.com/q/bc?s=PNT.L&t=5d
tarquel
Grafter

Just want to add a nugget here that when I changed my host from one place to another, it took about a week for my .net address and about 3 days for my .co.uk address.

You may think what has this got to do with plusnet?

Well, every person that I chatted to and asked to look at the site(s) [to see if they noticed the change over] during the above time periods could see the change *alot* sooner than when I finally did.

I know that generally, .co.uk addresses you will usually see the change up to 24 hrs later [not 3 days]. One time, I saw the change within 3 hrs [guess I was lucky then lol]

I've changed another .co.uk address over from one host to another at 5/6pm tonight - I'll see how long it takes for the change of host to show on my connection Smiley

Could the plusnet DNS servers be playing up a bit? [this would be my thought] tho I doubt lastminute.com and google.com change their hosts that often Wink - unless its a IP change that may be the cause [i dunno].

Just a thought really...

Thanks
Nath.
N/A

does anyone know what's wrong? I'm suffering from wikipaedia withdrawal, and I can't check yahoomail Sad