cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

MSN Signing in problem

N/A

MSN Signing in problem

Is thier a windows Xp host file

I cant seem to get into MSN i keep getting error about my host file and to clear it. Using the msn repair tool i dnt fink it can clear it. How do i get to the winxp host file
12 REPLIES
Community Veteran

MSN Signing in problem

WINDOWS\system32\drivers\etc\hosts

Normally it will be empty anway so I'm not sure why you are being instructed to clear it - and MSN does not use it anyway.
N/A

MSN Signing in problem

cheeers
N/A

MSN Signing in problem

i still cnt seem to sign into msn. I tried reinstalling it but no luck. My hosts file is empty.

Any ideas
N/A

MSN Signing in problem

what exactly is the error?? - we need more info.

FYI, your local XP host file is used as the first stage of any DNS lookups but would not normally have any entries as you would usually use only the PN DNS servers. The only good reason to use it would be if you had more than 1 machine on your local network.
N/A

MSN Signing in problem

i keep geting that sorry we cannot sign in you and try again later. or try this troubleshooting thing. When i try trouble shooting i get message saying your host file contains msn related entries and would need clearing. It then gives option to clear it self but just wouldnt clear and keep going round and round.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 54

MSN Signing in problem

Don't know if this will help but have a look at this thread Geakstogo
N/A

MSN Signing in problem

Nah ive tried all that already
Community Veteran

MSN Signing in problem

The only good reason to use it would be if you had more than 1 machine on your local network.

I dissagree!
I use "hosts" file to block all sorts of nasty domains, ads etc (I have over 3000 enteries directed to local host)!
Just another tool in the realm of online security, and works a treat!

Can't help with the OP's MSN probs though. Never use it these days!

*EDIT* Does MSN have its own HOSTS file? dunno, but it may be worth searching your system using "*hosts*" in the search field.
N/A

MSN Signing in problem

I found one result but its 0kb and i tried opening it with notepad and its just blank
Community Veteran

MSN Signing in problem

a few people have had this problem as well and its been fixed by:

open a command prompt (start -> run -> type in CMD)

type in ipconfig -flushdns

this seems to always do the trick!

Also - there have been and continues to be loads of problems with msn the now, unable to sign in, people appearing offline when they are on, unable to send messages etc

hope it helps
N/A

MSN Signing in problem

I dissagree!
I use "hosts" file to block all sorts of nasty domains, ads etc (I have over 3000 enteries directed to local host)!
Just another tool in the realm of online security, and works a treat!

Hmm interesting. I would have thought that a firewall would be a better way to blacklist sites, say on the router so that any machine on the network would have the benefit of the same config. Still this is another weapon in the arsenal!
N/A

MSN Signing in problem

TRied Flushdns and still no luck