cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

MSN Messenger being blocked by PlusNet?

alliejc
Grafter

MSN Messenger being blocked by PlusNet?

I use MSN messenger and although I can receive files from people on my contact list, I am unable to send. It is saying that the file transfer is being blocked and to contact my isp.

Any ideas?

Allie
5 REPLIES
N/A

RE: MSN Messenger being blocked by PlusNet?

> I use MSN messenger and although I can receive files from people on my contact list, I am unable to send. It is saying that the file transfer is being blocked and to contact my isp.
>
> Any ideas?
>
> Allie

OS? Type of hardware (usb, pci, router)? Firewall software installed? Version of messenger? All windows updates applied? Recipient behind firewall? Recipient has done windows updates? Your +net tariff?
RJankowski
Dabbler

Also, if you have Internet Connection Sharing setup MSN file transfer will fail, as will firewalls.
N/A

> Also, if you have Internet Connection Sharing
> setup MSN file transfer will fail, as will
> firewalls.

She says she can receive, though.

N/A

> > Also, if you have Internet Connection Sharing
> > setup MSN file transfer will fail, as will
> > firewalls.
>
> She says she can receive, though.

Hi there,

I personally use this application. If you are firewalled or behind a NAT router, you will only be able to use the advanced client-to-client features if the other recipient doesn't have a firewall or is not behind a NAT router. If you are both firewalled/NAT'ed, you will not be able to use the features.

I also use Yahoo! Messenger which actually works fine through firewalls.

In summary, we aren't blocking anything, it's that particular program's poor implementation of NAT code.

Regards,
Mike

--
| Mike Grice....................Unmetered & ADSL solutions
| Technical Support.....................for Home & Business
| PlusNet Technologies Ltd.........@ http://www.plus.net
+ ----- My Referrals - It pays to recommend PlusNet -----
N/A

I have just moved to Win Xp pro in my office and can no longer connect to Messenger, despite my server proxy settings being correct. Keeps saying either I have no internet connection - which I do, or my proxy settings are wrong - which they aren't.

Any ideas?