cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

MSN Messenger and a Binatone 2100 Router

N/A

Hi

I am having problems connecting to MSN Messenger over my ADSL link. When I try to sign in, it thinks for a long time then either fails or connects but instantly throws me out. I think this is to do with the NATing on the router. I've done a bit of reading around and uPnP seems to be a solution but I don't think the supplied 2100 router supports it. Am I right? If the problem is the NATing, how do I get around this problem so that I can use Messenger, please?

Also, any information on how to fill in the Port Forwarding form on the router's web interface would be greatly appreciated!

Thank You
Craig
5 REPLIES
Community Veteran

It would be odd if it is your router causing the problem, as I have the older version (the ADSL2000) which doesn't even have port forwarding, and Messenger works fine!

Thomas
Ianwild
Grafter

Hi,

Make sure you have the latest version of Messenger and that your local software firewall is not blocking Messenger access (Which is what is normally wrong when people report this!).

Regards,

Ian
N/A

Hi

Thanks for your reply. I have version 6.1.0203 of Messenger, but it still won't connect even with no software firewall running at all. Interestingly, Trillian WILL connect me to the MSN Messenger network and works fine. Which still leads me to think it's a problem with connecting directly with Messenger through the router. I've done a bit of internet research and there seem to be others with this problem.

Now that I've got the workaround of using Trillian, this isn't such a big issue anymore, but I'd still like to know what it is that Microsoft need from the router and how to make it work. If anybody has any ideas, I'd be grateful.

Thanks
Craig
Community Veteran

Hmm... if you're on Windows XP, have you disabled the built-in firewall as well as any others you keep running?

Thomas
N/A

I'm on Windows2000, no firewalls.